Canon adds five new image sensors to their lineup

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon News is the first to report that Canon has added five new image sensors to their lineup for third party applications. A few of the sensors look like they already existed in previous Canon products.
12MP 1 Inch CMOS 4K Sensor
4K 12 megapixel CMOS sensor suitable for video / still image shooting

Filter Type – RGB
Sensitivity – 22,000 e/lx/sec @Analog gain x1 (TBD)
Sensor Size – 1 inch
Number of Effective Pixels – 4000x 3000 (Horizontal x Vertical)
Pixel Size – 3.2 um x 3.2 um
Shutter – Rolling shutter 12 bit, 24 fps (All Pixels)
Maximum Frame Rate – 10 bit, 60 fps (4K2K)
Saturation 22,000 e (TBD) @ Analog gain x 1
Dark Random Noise – 2.8 e rms @Analog gain x16 (TBD)
Dark Current – 17 e/sec (TBD) @package reverse side 60℃
Drive Frequency – 27 MHz (recommended)
Output Channels – Data: 12 lanes, Clock: 2 lanes
Output Format...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2015
So we will soon get a hi MP mirrorless?
nope youll get 5dv equvalent R :p
high resolution camera is uniportant for big picture.
unless it uses that 120mpix sensor
These are not sensors for Canon's products, these are sensors for others to buy from Canon.

Which begs the question, is Canon actively trying to get to the sensor market? As I understand from this and the earlier announcement, they didn't sell sensors to third parties before?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2014
These are not sensors for Canon's products, these are sensors for others to buy from Canon.

Which begs the question, is Canon actively trying to get to the sensor market? As I understand from this and the earlier announcement, they didn't sell sensors to third parties before?
There was an article a while back discussing how Canon is moving into the sensor market.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
There was an article a while back discussing how Canon is moving into the sensor market.
Yup. They are leaving money on the table if not. There is and will continue to be really high demand for quality, fast sensors in the automotive market. Tesla is right about using visual sensors over lidar, the biggest advantage lidar has is less computational processing is required. But as gpu based massively parallel processing gets more and more powerful and the software to analyze the outcome of that processing gets better, the market is only going to get bigger.

And Canon needs wants a piece of that pie, and needs the revenue. The printer business is 1/5 what it used to be, the camera market is shrinking, but the vehicle sensormarket is set to explode. By the time my kids have children that reach driving age that knowledge will be a hobby skill.

Upvote 0
The biggest advantage a lidar has is that it cannot mistake an object that is nearby for an object that is far away.

But a lidar alone is not enough. It cannot detect lane marks and distinguish road signs.

Fun fact, my understanding is that Lidar uses APD sensors (avalanche photo diode) in many of the applications. If you have been following my site and the patents I talk about, you'd see that Canon has also been doing a ton of work on APD sensors for automotive , etc applications.

Upvote 0
Fun fact, my understanding is that Lidar uses APD sensors (avalanche photo diode) in many of the applications. If you have been following my site and the patents I talk about, you'd see that Canon has also been doing a ton of work on APD sensors for automotive , etc applications.
I guess I should have clarified Lidar as the spinning mechanical current lidar. It’s too expensive and you still have to use imaging sensors too.

However flash lidar would integrate well with canons APD sensors. One emitter illuminates an entire side of the car in one flash, separated sensors on the car pick up the signal and determine distance and speed.
I would guess this might be the type of lidar they are developing with Panasonic.

Upvote 0