Canon again mentions a Pro EOS R body, with IBIS and dual card slots

addola

Sold my soul for a flippy screen
Nov 16, 2015
The R should have had dual slots. Come on Canon, dual slots are not some high end feature. Sony offers dual slots in the A7iii. Fuji offers dual slots in their X-T3.

I agree, but Canon was being Canon... the 6D & 6D Mark II didn't have dual slots. I thought Nikon would do dual card slots on the Z6 & Z7 since some of their lower-end Nikon DSLRs like D610 (FF), and D7200 (APS-C) had dual card slots.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I agree, but Canon was being Canon... the 6D & 6D Mark II didn't have dual slots. I thought Nikon would do dual card slots on the Z6 & Z7 since some of their lower-end Nikon DSLRs like D610 (FF), and D7200 (APS-C) had dual card slots.
Nikon obviously realised that inclusion of dual card slots was a misguided decision for the market segment those cameras are sold in.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I'll be interested to see what happens with the R down the line, once a clearer body hierarchy is established. If the pro-level R is to be a mirrorless 5D/5Ds (dual slots, IBIS, new sensor, more MP, faster processor(s), more FPS, etc.), then I'm guessing the R Mk II gets IBIS, a new processor, and some other relatively minor tweaks. In short, I'm curious about the differentiation strategy.

In terms of the hierarchy itself...Rebel R-RP-R-Ra-R7-R5-R1? I'm assuming Canon will eventually kill off the M line.

The EOS M line is the best selling interchangeable mirrorless camera system in the world. Why would they kill it off?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
A lot of the noise about IBIS comes from people who show their creative credentials by using artisan, small manufacture lenses without in-lens IS.

Or am I being cynical?
Yes to me is just sounds like excuses. Previously we had the DR meme, "I'd buy one but for the lack of DR", even though people never showed their images that had been ruined by the lack of a stop or so of DR, now that meme has been laid to rest we have the IBIS trope, "I'd buy one but I need dual card slots and IBIS".....

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I'd love to see al these shots people are missing because of camera movement instead of subject movement that necessitates IBIS and for which IS simply isn't good enough or an option.
I think that a very credible case can be made by video shooters that IBIS is an important, possible critical, feature. I've read all the arguments from stills shooters and I find them much less compelling. But, then again, I'm also not convinced that memory cards are so unreliable that any camera without dual card slots is worthless.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
TBH using adapted EF glass is the way right now. The RF50, 85 and 28-70 are the only RF lenses really worth using. The other offerings are only equal to the existing EF glass. Not better.
The RF lenses named are splendid but are exotics. The fact is that ALL EF lenses are excellent and work well with the Canon adapters. My only beef with the adapted lenses is that they seem oddly bulky when attached to any R body. I use mine with the RF24-105 and it seems better scaled to the body. The new RF 70-200 seems to be more compact but my 17TS-E and 16-35 seem enormous.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I think that a very credible case can be made by video shooters that IBIS is an important, possible critical, feature. I've read all the arguments from stills shooters and I find them much less compelling. But, then again, I'm also not convinced that memory cards are so unreliable that any camera without dual card slots is worthless.
I'd like to agree but the truth is anybody shooting video without a gimbal, which come in a frightening array of sizes and prices, just isn't taking themselves seriously, a gimbal will do a lot more for your video footage than IBIS ever will.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I'd love to see al these shots people are missing because of camera movement instead of subject movement that necessitates IBIS and for which IS simply isn't good enough or an option.
It's funny. I have actually seen some examples(either been shown by someone or seen them on yootoob) of shots taken with IBIS that simply would not have been possible without. 2 1/2 sec handheld exposures etc. Guess what? They were s@&t.For two reasons. Anything in the image that was not bolted down moved. And the IBIS cannot compensate for the amount of movement during an exposure that long. I guess it helps in video more than stills although having said that if you were a halfway serious video shooter your camera should be on a gimbal. It's not like you can't get small, light and cheap gimbals nowadays.
OOps. ^ Just realised you beat me to the gimbal comment.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
I'd like to agree but the truth is anybody shooting video without a gimbal, which come in a frightening array of sizes and prices, just isn't taking themselves seriously, a gimbal will do a lot more for your video footage than IBIS ever will.

I agree. That was the reason that Panasonic felt comfortable excluding IBIS from the GH5s and Panasonic seem to have become the benchmark for video performance.

Upvote 0
It's funny. I have actually seen some examples(either been shown by someone or seen them on yootoob) of shots taken with IBIS that simply would not have been possible without. 2 1/2 sec handheld exposures etc. Guess what? They were s@&t.For two reasons. Anything in the image that was not bolted down moved. And the IBIS cannot compensate for the amount of movement during an exposure that long. I guess it helps in video more than stills although having said that if you were a halfway serious video shooter your camera should be on a gimbal. It's not like you can't get small, light and cheap gimbals nowadays.
2.5 exposure is probably a too extreme case. If IBIS is said to compensate 3 stops, for example, you can shoot at 1/25 where you'd have shot at 1/200, and obviously without compensating the subject's motion blur.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
;)

I'm no video pro but even I have a Ronin-S for my 1DX MkII, and damn do they keep upgrading the firmware for it! DJI started slow but it has become an incredibly powerful and useful tool.

Upvote 0

Travel_Photographer

Travel, Landscape, Architecture
Aug 30, 2019

Agreed 100%. I'm traditionally a stills shooter, but I starting shooting video with my M6. Bought a Zhiyun Crane M2 for it (which is stout enough for even the (relatively) heavy 32mm 1.4) and the videos are absolutely amazing. No IBIS in the world could possibly compensate for me walking, running, climbing and all the other things I do with it and the videos are rock-solid steady. I programmed all the axes using the app to match my style and the footage is incredible.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
You will not find many wide angle primes with IS today. So a five stop IBIS like in the Sony A9 means that you can use ISO 800 instead of ISO 25600 for a hand held night shot. In both cases you can take the picture, but of course with ISO 800 it looks much cleaner.

My favourite subjects are skyscrapers and very often you are not allowed to use a tripod at the plaza in front of a skyscraper. In Dubai for example the whole downtown area around Burj Khalifa - even including streets and sidewalks - is owned by the company Emaar. They do not allow tripods anywhere in that area, unless you have a written permission and paid a high fee. Observation decks are another problem. Empire State Building is a good place for night shots of Manhattan, but you can't use a tripod there. And then there are even cities like London or Paris, where tripods technically are forbidden anywhere, unless you have a special permission.

Of course there are some options of wide angle zooms like the Tamron 15-30 f/2.8 with IS, but how cool would it be, if you could just use ANY lens on your camera and it was stabilized? For example that super sharp 17mm tilt and shift lens from Canon.

For me it just makes much more sense to have Image stabilisation in the camera than having it in every lens, which of course makes every lens more expensive.

• Haha
Upvote 0

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
The EOS M line is the best selling interchangeable mirrorless camera system in the world. Why would they kill it off?
I think Canon will eventually (and I mean in several years) switch over the Rebel line to the RF mount, and also create a 7D equivalent in the R series. Along with that, I think they will create RF-S glass for those APS-C sensors. If that happens, RF-S will be in direct conflict with M, and M will lose that battle. Obviously all heavy speculation...but just my two cents.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
It really does, most of the time, come down to discipline as to how one presses the shutter button and holds the camera. Without that, even IBIS nor IS helps much. Sometimes people expect a camera/lens to overcome their own incompetence. They are in for a rude awakening... but it will be Canon's, or Nikon's, or Sony's fault, not theirs. ;)

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
It really does, most of the time, come down to discipline as to how one presses the shutter button and holds the camera. Without that, even IBIS nor IS helps much. Sometimes people expect a camera/lens to overcome their own incompetence. They are in for a rude awakening... but it will be Canon's, or Nikon's, or Sony's fault, not theirs. ;)
Couldn't agree more, just like the 1DX MkII AF being crap for BIF because it is so easily distracted by busy backgrounds. Funny because I have series after series of BIF with busy backgrounds and no AF issues, now I do admit I don't work at the highest levels of BIF photography and I accept that those that do might well find the limits of the AF algorithms, but I also believe the vast majority of users who have 'issues' are making excuses for their poor technique and lack of time trying and customizing the AF to their personal shooting style.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA

Maybe "most of the time" technique is involved, if you are judging the world's population of photographers. On the other hand, even among pros, semi-pros, and enthusiastic and highly skilled amateurs, there is a factor we call "aging." Then there are people who aren't too old but have hands that aren't steady. You might argue along the lines of, "Well, Canon shouldn't make cameras just for left-handed photographers because that would be a feature I don't need and it would drive up the price." That would be an interesting analogy. But overcoming left-handedness starts early in life; shaky hands come later in most cases.

I believe there is a growing demand for IBIS, which Canon would like to address, and the demand is growing most among people who most need IBIS just as they enter retirement years and now have the time and money to spend on higher end gear. Add this market to that of the video-shooters who, in some situations, prefer IBIS to gimbles, etc., and the numbers start to add up.

I also believe Canon will implement IBIS only if their approach equals or exceeds anything else on the market. And that is why they are taking their time with Rf-mount bodies.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0