Canon again mentions a Pro EOS R body, with IBIS and dual card slots

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
You may even go a step further and make the argument that lenses designed for a system with IBIS are likely to be more expensive. The reason for that is that the sensor moves, therefore the lens has to have a greater image circle and has to be more optimized towards even performance across the frame, unless IBIS is allowed to degrade the image quality.

Nonetheless, the inability to point out the lenses you're asking for is no counter evidence for the point you were arguing against. Pricing is influenced by so many factors, we really can't draw much from it. One big factor is how many units are expected to be sold, and with the market leader not having any IBIS cameras, any comparison between their prices and the ones for systems with IBIS are already muddied. Maybe it could be said that IS is unlikely to have a big impact on production cost based on such evidence.

I agree that making absolute statements is often not a good idea, and in this particular case I believe we simply lack the knowledge about the involved topics (markets as well as the technological side of things) to prove or falsify them.

I think you argue fairly convincingly that no one has conclusively shown that IS makes all lenses made for non-IBIS cameras systems more expensive than comparable non-IS lenses designed for IBIS systems.

Which is the same thing I'm saying:

The notion that all non-IS lenses with otherwise equivalent optical performance made by companies that have IBIS are always cheaper than IS lenses with otherwise equivalent optical performance made by companies that do not have IBIS in their camera bodies is a myth.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
All I know is a lot of my Canon user friends are changing away from the brand to Sony and Olympus. I remember loving my Blackberry phone for the little keyboard and way it worked but when Blackberry went to touchscreen I went to apple as they had been doing that technology for years already. Sony has been doing mirrorless for a while now so Canon needs to offer something far more interesting or exciting than the current or rumoured offering to keep people loyal? I have had my 5D3 and 7d2 for several years now and feel like treating myself but I can't get excited about the 5d4 maybe 1dxmk2 but weight/feel is an issue. Other brands have a lot of in camera software (stacking etc) which Canon aren't including, this focus adjust post taking in the 5d4 which sounds amazing is a red herring?

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Well, considering that I've never had a mirror stick on the way up on a Canon DSLR, no, I can't really imagine this.
Sound like a nightmare to me :)) imaging your mirror stuck on the way up while sensor was moving forward in the RF position. Bang! :))
Sorry I realized I put my last post in the wrong thread, so I deleted it and posted it elsewhere, which now makes your post not make sense.

Upvote 0

hmatthes

EOS-R, RF and EF Lenses of all types.
I've not had a moment's regret with my R and two RF lenses. All of my EF lenses work perfectly. Now, with proper adapter, I'm shooting M glass on my R as well. What's to complain about?

Well I also shoot a Leica SL with M lenses. It has a joystick and dual cards (both SD like they should be!)

I'll sell the SL when Canon brings out a dual card R with joystick. Yes, I hope that it has IBIS and more pixels (45 would be fine) but 2 cards & joystick please!

I've shot the RF24-105 side-by-side with the EF24-105 and Canon improved this "kit" L lens very nicely. Still big but I often only carry one lens.

And for all the Sony lovers here, I applaud you for figuring out the worst UI and buttons collection that I've ever seen! You guys rock! BTW: the Leica SL might have the finest UI anywhere: Four main buttons and very logical menus.
Canon R is close but not having a joystick is ridiculous!

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
:ROFLMAO:
I've not had a moment's regret with my R and two RF lenses. All of my EF lenses work perfectly. Now, with proper adapter, I'm shooting M glass on my R as well. What's to complain about?

Well I also shoot a Leica SL with M lenses. It has a joystick and dual cards (both SD like they should be!)

M lens? You had me going there fore a moment! (My first thought was "impossible" and my second thought was "why bother using an EF-M lens on a full-frame?") :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

hmatthes

:ROFLMAO:

M lens? You had me going there fore a moment! (My first thought was "impossible" and my second thought was "why bother using an EF-M lens on a full-frame?") :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
I'm so sorry SteveC, I've been calling Leica Rangefinder lenses "M Glass" for over 50 years... I keep forgetting that Canon, too, has "M:" lenses for APSc.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018

I'll sell the SL when Canon brings out a dual card R with joystick. Yes, I hope that it has IBIS and more pixels (45 would be fine) but 2 cards & joystick please!

I've shot the RF24-105 side-by-side with the EF24-105 and Canon improved this "kit" L lens very nicely. Still big but I often only carry one lens.

And for all the Sony lovers here, I applaud you for figuring out the worst UI and buttons collection that I've ever seen! You guys rock! BTW: the Leica SL might have the finest UI anywhere: Four main buttons and very logical menus.
Canon R is close but not having a joystick is ridiculous!
I'd take a close look at the SL 2 :love::love::love:.
I did so, and started saving....Leica is back!

Upvote 0

hmatthes

I came within inches of ordering the Panasonic S1 but then sanity took over!
All of my Canon EF glass works perfectly on the R -- they suck on SL via lousy adapters. Why try a Sigma adapter on a Panasonic body?
Both of my RF lenses are just incredible on the R.
All my Leica M lenses are beautiful on the R. Focus assist tools work extremely well.
My one SL mount lens? It will be sold with the SL.
The SL2 is magnificent but we buy Leica for its lenses.
I'm staying with Canon R and praying that Canon R2 is a professional body with dual cards and joystick...

Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
I have no idea what the resale market is for EF lenses, as I've kept all the lenses I've purchased. If anybody has experience selling their EF glass, please feel free to chime in. I don't mind using an adapter, but I'd also like to take advantage of the size benefits of native RF glass.

I just sold all my Nikon gear. Go to eBay and filter by Sold Items to see actual sale prices. But don’t sell until you find a substitute you like better.

Upvote 0

Travel_Photographer

Travel, Landscape, Architecture
Aug 30, 2019
I just sold all my Nikon gear. Go to eBay and filter by Sold Items to see actual sale prices. But don’t sell until you find a substitute you like better.

Thanks, appreciated. I just finished selling a few items to B&H and MPB and that worked well. I got quotes from a few places and went with the highest quote for each item.

I wound up buying an EOS RP with the holiday sales. That little camera is *amazing*. I've been using it adapted with a variety of lenses, but my favorite is the 85mm F1.8 with eye-detect AF. i have an RF 35mm F1.8 arriving in the mail today!

Thanks again.

Upvote 0