CANON AND MAGIC LANTERN

bergstrom

Photographer
Feb 23, 2015
If everyone is complaining about Canon not having magic zoom and the million other magical things that ML has, why doesn't canon just incorporate a lot of the features or all if possible , into their next big FF body?

Whats stopping them? Is Magic Lantern and its contents trademarked/copyrighted or something? Canon is getting hammered by sony on the creative innovations front. Canon designers need to just sit down and start from scratch and reinvent the dslr and blow Sony away. Just my 2 cents as a canon user who's understanding why everyone's switching. I'm loyal to canon, but just frustrated by the lack of creativity on canon's part.

This is the reason:
http://www.eoshd.com/2017/07/canon-real-technical-political-reasons-behind-lack-decent-video/

Long story short... they purposely hold back features to force you to buy multiple expensive Canon products (to protect expensive camera sales).
This practice has been going great for them. Their market share is huge, and their profits are good.

They will not offer better features unless their sales are hurting and they absolutely have to. This has not happened yet, and a very vocal minority on internet forums is irrelevant in the global sales of their products.

Magic Lantern is simple proof that they CAN do better, but choose not to.

http://www.eoshd.com/2017/06/canon-6d-mark-ii-codec-worse-old-6d-lower-bitrate-no/

There are more articles reviewing various Canon cameras over at that site, but the conclusion is always the same.... crappy video is purposely given when they could easily offer better.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
mistaspeedy said:
This is the reason:
http://www.eoshd.com/2017/07/canon-real-technical-political-reasons-behind-lack-decent-video/

Is it really? The whole article is self-admittedly hypothetical with phrases like "Let’s suggest ..." and "Here’s what may be going on…"

And if not an explanation, then Canon customers deserve a camera we may actually want to buy for video that isn’t $12,000… and is competitive with what Sony and Panasonic are doing for $1000-$3000.
Why do they 'deserve' and explanation? I doubt very much that giving an explanation will change the tone of complaints on the internet.
As ever, the article screams of 'I want to combine a top-notch DSLR with top-notch video and not pay any more for it'.

Despite all the cynicism, I am genuinely not sure if this is Canon protecting more expensive lines or if Canon has made the decision that anyone serious about video will buy a serious video camera, not a DSLR so see it as superfluous. Either are equally plausible but the first is easier for the whiners to pin their complaints on. Either way, my guess is Canon put in a lower spec video and use the money saved to add different functionality.

As Orangutan says, everyone who buys a Canon camera is telling Canon they have made the right decision.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
bergstrom said:
If everyone is complaining about Canon not having magic zoom and the million other magical things that ML has, why doesn't canon just incorporate a lot of the features or all if possible , into their next big FF body?

Whats stopping them? Is Magic Lantern and its contents trademarked/copyrighted or something? Canon is getting hammered by sony on the creative innovations front. Canon designers need to just sit down and start from scratch and reinvent the dslr and blow Sony away. Just my 2 cents as a canon user who's understanding why everyone's switching. I'm loyal to canon, but just frustrated by the lack of creativity on canon's part.

1) Everyone is not complaining.
2) Canon is going to incorporate what they think will sell and will be a good, easy-to-use reliable camera.
3) What's stopping them is that they are not stupid.
4) Everyone is not switching. I tried Sony's FF DSLR and it was without doubt the worst camera I ever bought.
5) If you want creativity then get a Sony. If you want reliable and easy to use for the most people, then stick with Canon.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
bergstrom said:

When I read statements like everyone is complaining and everyone is switching etc... I remember my mother yelling, "Everyone is NOT doing it!"

The "Canon is doomed" crowd gets so unhinged.

If a person wants to switch, then switch. Just quit crying about how Canon done you wrong and switch. I swear, it's like listening to an sad old country song and makes me want to channel the personality of Billy Bob Thornton in "Bad Santa" every time I read this crap.

BTW: Who cares what Sony is doing? ::) Switch!

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
Orangutan said:
bergstrom said:
Canon is getting hammered by sony on the

Because they're not getting hammered where it counts: market share and profit.

As much as we'd all like to have a large collection of new features and tech, the reality is that Canon is in business to make money, not for any other reason.
Just remember we are weird lot - very into specs and technical details. Most photographers care about the images they produce, not technical gibberish.

Upvote 0