Canon announcements coming at the end of August [CR2]

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
It is rather amazing how many kit lens redesigns they can do in just a few short years.

Maybe the 50 1.4 EF upgrade plans just got ....lost... along with the 85 1.8. Nothing like 20+ year old designs selling for 400 bucks to keep the competition in check, eh?

#lameonyoucanon

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
The 80D already has a better sensor than the 7DII, so the 90D could be even better, and possibly 30 mpx as well. Canon AF systems have improved, and using the 1DXII system as in the 5DIV could be a significant improvement. I'm looking forward to adding a 90D to my armoury as I miss my 7DII, which I shouldn't have sold.
Something like the 1DXII AF system would likely mean multi precessors. This may well happen, but I doubt that it would be labeled a 90D. So far as I know the 90D designation is a product of the rumor world.

Upvote 0

Stuart

Hi, Welcome from an ePhotozine fan, & 6D user.
Jul 22, 2010
London & Woking
www.ephotozine.com
For quite a while now, a big part of Sony's growth strategy has been to get owners to switch brands at the $3500 price point with attractive specs. We shall see whether it works any better this time than it has in the past. As time goes by, more and more buyers are pretty happy with the cameras they already have, especially considering the costs of switching brands. On the other hand, with the a7r4, Sony may have come out with some interesting competition for the a9.
It seems that Sony's main critics cite ergonomics and Sony's menu system - a7r4 is said to address ergonomics. Surely someone can pimp a better skin on the software interface.
Also I wonder is Canon's RF mount will allow more large aperture lenses than Sony's FE mount might?

Upvote 0
This is their chance I think to save people from going into the Sony a7r4. That camera is a beast. It's coming in September so I hope canon will announce something for their RF system, even if it means waiting past September for a better R model.

The new Sony is a piece-meal of good and bad. It has no fully functional touchscreen, and the LCD is smaller with less dots than Canon or Nikon's newest bodies. There is no S-RAW or M-RAW. The resolution is only a ladder rung beyond the 5DSR, which can be found now for excellent prices.

Oh, Tony Northrup recently confirmed the pixel shift feature of the Sony A7R iv is basically a calamity -- very inconsistent. dpreview noted that the pixel shift images can't be previewed to ascertain what really happened before leaving the scene.

If the A7R iii prices drop a bit more, even that body may be the better option right now for Sony lens owners.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I never met anyone who traded his/her canon stuff for sony stuff and I do meet a lot of people in my workshops.

Weird. My classes have gone from predominantly Canon to predominantly Sony in the span of a year. It’s a community college photography program though, so there are more younger people than usual.

The most popular camera is the Sony A7Riii, followed by the A7iii by far.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The new Sony is a piece-meal of good and bad. It has no fully functional touchscreen,

What does that mean? It's the second time I see it mentioned but I couldn't find actual specs on why it's not fully functional.

Oh, Tony Northrup recently confirmed the pixel shift feature of the Sony A7R iv is basically a calamity -- very inconsistent. dpreview noted that the pixel shift images can't be previewed to ascertain what really happened before leaving the scene.

After Tony's ridiculous talk about aperture and diffraction, I completely stopped watching that channel, he's incompetent in technical reviews and talks about what he doesn't understand.

Upvote 0
The new Sony is a piece-meal of good and bad. It has no fully functional touchscreen, and the LCD is smaller with less dots than Canon or Nikon's newest bodies. There is no S-RAW or M-RAW. The resolution is only a ladder rung beyond the 5DSR, which can be found now for excellent prices.

If the A7R iii prices drop a bit more, even that body may be the better option right now for Sony lens owners.

A calamity? There isn’t even software available to view it properly yet. A little early for the calamity claims I think.

That said, the a7riii at $2500 is probably the best value in the industry right now.

Upvote 0
What does that mean? It's the second time I see it mentioned but I couldn't find actual specs on why it's not fully functional.

Most people don’t realize that you can use the LCD on the A7Riii as a pad just like the eos r, meaning you can drag to focus. You can even set it to only use the right side.

You can’t however use it to select menu options, which is stupid.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Most people don’t realize that you can use the LCD on the A7Riii as a pad just like the eos r, meaning you can drag to focus. You can even set it to only use the right side.

You can’t however use it to select menu options, which is stupid.
How do we know it's the same in A7RIV?

Upvote 0
I'd like to see a Canon's equivalent of A7R4. That is a high-res successor of 5D4 or 5DsR. And in beginning of September. But wishful thinking doesn't help here. It's not even rumoured for this year.

But I'm disappointed that A7R4 isn't a 16bit ADC. If it were, I'd seriously consider switching as Canon would be highly unlikely to catch up. The A7R4's dynamic range will likely be the same as A7R3's, which is great, but not great enough to switch from Canon 5D4. Now I'll be waiting for what Canon offers and will check the reviews/comparisons.

Upvote 0
I'd be happy to wait until February for the high res R IF I can get the lenses I want in time for 45 day trip in November. The R is a good camera, and its IQ is OK for what I want to do (42 would be better, 60 would be awesome). The only thing keeping me in the Canon camp are ergos/body design, and the lenses. I've seen how crappy the variance is on the Sony 70-200 GM first hand. Canon is still making its L lenses in Japan, while Sony is making GM lenses in China and Thailand, and the variance within their lens line up is sort of alarming. Supposedly they've fixed the issues.... I'm not sure I believe it. On the flip side if Canon can't even get me the lenses I'm willing to invest in almost a year after the R is released... Sony deserves my money.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
I deeply wish for an M5 Mark II. There is a lot of potential with this camera system if they would just invest in it. Maybe even have a grip option for the camera to help hold the camera when adapting lenses too? Oh, and improve the battery life, please! haha

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016
I really, really need the 15-35 by late October. If it's not announced by the end of this month, I'll probably go to Sony =( I don't want to.
Stick a 16-35 with adapter on the R for the time being? You could get a second hand for a good price and sell it later for the same amount. The f4 version is superb and lightweight. I do think however these new R lenses will hit market in time.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0