Canon announcements coming at the end of August [CR2]

I really, really need the 15-35 by late October. If it's not announced by the end of this month, I'll probably go to Sony =( I don't want to.
You can rent the Sony stuff you need for late October and after that still buy (or rent) the 15-35 for your Canon gear. By doing so you could make your own experience / first hand comparison instead of relying on Youtubers or tech pages.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
I really, really need the 15-35 by late October. If it's not announced by the end of this month, I'll probably go to Sony =( I don't want to.
Why? You can't adapt a single lens for the time being or rent? You would rather switch your entire camera system?

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
I get Canon doesn't want to upend its DSLR faithful, which I respect. However, the mirrorless babies who are holding out for Pro/Prosumer camera(s) are starving. Quite frankly, I'm little frustrated that Canon hasn't announced a Mirrorless camera, (Pro/Prosumer that is) by now. I've been faithful to Canon, and I want to continue that, and one way Canon can do that is by giving an announcement that a mirrorless pro camera is coming, it doesn't have to be released yet.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

EOBeav

Not going anywhere
May 4, 2011
about.me
Why? You can't adapt a single lens for the time being or rent? You would rather switch your entire camera system?
I'd like to know what the stats are in CR history for somebody saying, "If this camera doesn't have X, I'm switching to Y". Better yet, I'd like to know how many of those people actually do switch.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
As much as I would love an M52, if one camera is coming to replace both the M5 and the M6, I worry it will be like the G5/G7 updates, with no viewfinder or a pop-up. Having the dedicated EVF on the M5 is really great.

For me, if the 90D has at least 10fps burst, touchscreen and dual cards, I would probably buy 2. 120/1080p video would be icing on the cake.

Upvote 0
6d3 please
I think you're going to be waiting a while. The 6D II came out in 2017, and with the past 4 year release cycle you'd be looking at summer 2021. That's assuming that they ever release a new 6D series camera. The RP might be a suitable alternative in all honesty - it's not exactly the same, but it's close.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

I sold my R and 50 1.2 because someone offered more than I could buy them for new again. So, I was starting fresh sort of... I still have the 35 and accessories.

However, I just scored a crazy good deal on greentoe this morning for an eos r, so.... I’m back in haha. Less than gray market pricing, I could not pass it up.

I guess Canon won’t let me leave.

Upvote 0
I believe that's what they officially stated, though I don't have a source handy. Feels unlikely, doesn't it?
It was a C1 rumor. So August is still good to me. Holy f2.8 trilogy in about ten months after launch. Took Sony 6 years to put out GM lenses. Nikon isn’t there yet either. So.... patience?

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
That lens always seemed like an odd one to me. It's quite pricy for EF-S, so apart from some 7D owners I've never seen it having wide appeal.

I've seen more than a few 40D/50D/60D cameras with the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS hung on it in the past. More recently owners of the 60D/70D/80D seem to go for EF lenses because they plan to upgrade to or already also have a FF body. This seems to have happened around the time the first 6D was released and lowered the entry price to the FF club.

Although it was introduced at around $1,100 in the U.S., it has been priced at around $750-800 from authorized Canon USA dealers for several years now.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
The 80D already has a better sensor than the 7DII, so the 90D could be even better, and possibly 30 mpx as well. Canon AF systems have improved, and using the 1DXII system as in the 5DIV could be a significant improvement. I'm looking forward to adding a 90D to my armoury as I miss my 7DII, which I shouldn't have sold.

The 80D has a better sensor at ISO 100-400 than the 7D Mark II. At ISO 800 they're about even. At ISO 1600 and above, the 7D Mark II sensor has better low light/low noise performance as well as better DR than the 80D.

All of the credible rumors so far say the 90D will have the same 45 point AF system that the 80D has. The 7D Mark II already has a 65 point AF system very similar to the 61 point system in the 1D X Mark II and 5D Mark III and IV. The current 1/5/7 bodies also allow more user configurable options to the AF system than the 80D does.

Anyone who thinks the 90D will be a significant upgrade to the 7D Mark II fails to understand why Canon is not calling it the 7D Mark III.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I also looked into other brands. I came to the conclusion that switching brands costs a lot of money. It will certainly not improve photography. I think lots of people look at it that way. Then there are always pros and cons for every brand. As a landscapephotograper I have never seen people switch. The mainreason might be the lack of weatherresistance in Sonycameras.

I think the weather resistance thing is completely overblown. The A7RIII has slightly better weather resistance than the EOS R, and you don't see people screaming about the weather resistance for it here. As for better photos, you're probably right there, though at this point 60+MP and better DR than we currently have in the mirrorless offering from Canon would be a welcome advantage for landscape.

Upvote 0

st jack photography

..a shuttered lens, backwards viewing backwards..
This is their chance I think to save people from going into the Sony a7r4. That camera is a beast. It's coming in September so I hope canon will announce something for their RF system, even if it means waiting past September for a better R model.
They better get to it. That new SONY a7m4 is THE camera that is going to push me to the dark side, especially after I have gotten a taste using the badass rx1rm2. (Sorry, Canon, you had nothing even comparable to that tiny badass that scores 97 on dxo, or I would have gladly given you that $4k that went to SONY and SONY periphs.) Ever since I started shooting SONY, I put my 5DSr away, except for commercial or forensics jobs or where I am doing 3D or auto-focus stacks. I even adapted all of my strobes for SONY, since even they sync better and more consistently, and hey- don't get me started on how STUPID the WIFi interfaces for Canon are. They have been stupid and unusable since the 6d or longer. Canon plus WiFi equals MIGRAINE, Sony plus WiFi works instantly every time.
As it stands, all of my L glass will work on Sony adapters just as well as a Canon adapter-to-RF, which was a pathetic solution, IMHO. An adapter was a real way to make my EF L glass collection feel obsolete. A native EF solution was the only way to go. RF completely negates the EF-M line. What, so will there be an adapter for that too? An adapter to make a RF lens fit a mirrorless APSC is the stupidest thing I can think of, but I bet Canon is working on one. Smart, guys.
Besides, go look at DxO scores, and see who scores the highest on lenses and sensors. I LOVE the colors my CANON produces, but those colors are looking less and less attractive with such great post options and getting to use GEAR THAT HAS NOT BEEN INEXPLICABLY CRIPPLED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would love to have a reason to stay with Canon after using them for the past 5 years and spending many thousands of dollars on only them, preferring even their peripherals, which are expensive but well-made. However, day by day I lose more and more interest with the direction they are going, with releases that come out 5 years behind SONY and others, with features I don't want or appreciate. I recognize the "RF Adaptergate" as my perfect jump-off point to leave Canon with minimal investment loss, and I CANNOT be the only serious, working, established professional considering this.

I am trying very hard not to be a troll with this one, guys, but I have definitely failed again. But when you pick up a APS-C g1m3, set it to RAW burst continuous, and it does one or 2 VERY SLOW shots before the buffer hangs, then you pick up a full frame SONY rx1rm2 no bigger than a cigarette pack, and the thing shoots 18 RAW faster than I need them, so fast that I want to slow it down, so fast that it outbursts a 1dx, it becomes a no-brainer: better colors mean nothing when all else is trumped; better colors are meaningless when you want decisive moments, sharpness, AF speed, RAW burst speed, processing and buffer speeds, insane plethora of options for buttons.......I could go on and on.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
The 80D has a better sensor at ISO 100-400 than the 7D Mark II. At ISO 800 they're about even. At ISO 1600 and above, the 7D Mark II sensor has better low light/low noise performance as well as better DR than the 80D.

All of the credible rumors so far say the 90D will have the same 45 point AF system that the 80D has. The 7D Mark II already has a 65 point AF system very similar to the 61 point system in the 1D X Mark II and 5D Mark III and IV. The current 1/5/7 bodies also allow more user configurable options to the AF system than the 80D does.

Anyone who thinks the 90D will be a significant upgrade to the 7D Mark II fails to understand why Canon is not calling it the 7D Mark III.
I don't think we know at this point what Canon is calling the replacement to the 80D and 7DII. So far as I now, 90D was something that came out of rumor world. We can hope that whatever it is called, it does have a robust AF system.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
I've seen more than a few 40D/50D/60D cameras with the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS hung on it in the past. More recently owners of the 60D/70D/80D seem to go for EF lenses because they plan to upgrade to or already also have a FF body. This seems to have happened around the time the first 6D was released and lowered the entry price to the FF club.

Although it was introduced at around $1,100 in the U.S., it has been priced at around $750-800 from authorized Canon USA dealers for several years now.
The introductory price for the 6D was $2099, or just about the clearance price for the 5DII.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

DxOmark has the 7DII with better DR above iso1600 but Bill Claff has the 80D and 7DII sensor the same DR at iso 1600 and above. http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Canon EOS 7D Mark II,Canon EOS 80D

The 5DIII has the 1DX AF system, which is not the same as the 1DXII or 5DIV. The 5DIV has the superior IDXII system. According to TDP, "Canon U.S.A.'s Chuck Westfall called the 1D X Mark II's AF system a "massive upgrade" featuring "much improved performance". It was hard to believe that the 1D X Mark II's new 61-point High-Density Reticular AF II system was going to be substantially better than its predecessor, but ... it definitely was." https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-IV.aspx
The 7DII has an upgraded version of the 1DX AF with iTR and more points.

We will know soon enough what the 90D or whatever it is called will be like. If it has a good 30 mpx sensor and point focus, I will possibly buy. If it has a superior AF, I will definitely buy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I get Canon doesn't want to upend its DSLR faithful, which I respect. However, the mirrorless babies who are holding out for Pro/Prosumer camera(s) are starving. Quite frankly, I'm little frustrated that Canon hasn't announced a Mirrorless camera, (Pro/Prosumer that is) by now. I've been faithful to Canon, and I want to continue that, and one way Canon can do that is by giving an announcement that a mirrorless pro camera is coming, it doesn't have to be released yet.

I don't think it's a matter of protecting the DSLRs, it's just a higher-specced MILC takes more time to develop, and Canon's profits rely on mid- and lower-range products more than the flagship bodies. Not to mention 1-series users are likely to be the hardest to sway away from DSLRs. They'll bring something out, but it might take a bit more time - better to do it right then rush things. Nikon haven't got a D5/6 MILC yet equivalent either.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Improvement for M5: bigger grip!!!

I would like to see the M5 replacement to be a real technical beast in the small body format for hiking etc. Great eye focus for animals too, 10 fps and in the 30 MP range. Small lenses, don't meed to be hyper fast so easy to carry. Sort of like the old original Leicas. In other words make it a real system camera.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I would like to see the M5 replacement to be a real technical beast in the small body format for hiking etc. Great eye focus for animals too, 10 fps and in the 30 MP range. Small lenses, don't meed to be hyper fast so easy to carry. Sort of like the old original Leicas. In other words make it a real system camera.
I'd like to see a merger of the M5/6/50 bodies. NO protrusion but with a viewfinder, Canon's version of an X-E3. EOS menu system, not Powershot. A sparse backside as to lessen the M series biggest flaw imho, accidental touches of buttons, switches and settings. I had to turn off nearly everything in my M5 to keep from knocking things. I was happy with the EVF so an improvement there will be nothing but icing on the cake. (Try the Pen-F EVF, so unrealistic) I would though like to see Canon upgrade their Jpeg Monochrome files. Basically I want a Fuji/Canon mashup for a travel body while I wait for an R series to replace my 5D3. It won't happen as they don't make cameras because we whine on CR.

Upvote 0