Canon announcements coming at the end of August [CR2]

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
:unsure: Is this is a serious question? How about watch it on a TV like you would any other p24 content... You know, like you do with Blu-ray, UHD Blu-ray, pretty much any scripted TV show, etc. that are all produced at p24.
Of course it is a serious question. I'm still trying to figure out your point.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Apparently you missed the release of the Canon EOS R, which is a Pro/Prosumer camera.
I've been shooting with the R at work for the past month just getting used to it before my busy season starts. Today, I took it out for some personal shooting. Wanted to see how this camera that gets so much disrespect on this forum does with birds in flight. Not much to shoot today, but some pelicans. The R nailed the focus using a third-party lens. (Shot with the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary.)

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
If you can't understand why people want to be able to shoot video in p24 then perhaps it is best to stay out of the conversation instead of just blindly jumping in to defending Canon.
Condescension > explanation. Kinda makes you look like an ass, but maybe that’s the look you were going for.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Time will show that Canon will loose market share. Brand's reputation is not enough to keep king sales position.
Will it, though?

People here have been saying that for a decade, it hasn’t happened yet. But even a broken analog clock shows the correct time twice a day – that’s an accuracy of 0.14%. So if you and others keep on predicting it, maybe one of you will be right some day.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Will it, though?

People here have been saying that for a decade, it hasn’t happened yet. But even a broken analog clock shows the correct time twice a day – that’s an accuracy of 0.14%. So if you and others keep on predicting it, maybe one of you will be right some day.
You misread his post. He didn't say Canon would lose market share. He said they would loose market share. I think he means they will let loose with a huge increase in market share.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Condescension > explanation. Kinda makes you look like an ass, but maybe that’s the look you were going for.
Drawing from your vast experience being one as a point of comparison no doubt.

Edit:
People want to shoot p24. His presumption that the only use for p24 is to output it to film is bizarre. My point is abundantly clear. People want p24 and Canon won't provide it to "protect" their cinema cameras from even their own 1" sensor P&S cameras. Just because he doesn't realize what can be done with p24 content and where it's used doesn't invalidate the point.

Every camera reviewer should be loudly and proudly ridiculing Canon from the rooftops for such crippling rather than sucking up so they don't lose their Canon paid vacations and free gear. We'd get a firmware update adding the feature in a week if every established reviewer and influencer prominently took them to task and encouraged buyers to not buy their artificially crippled cameras.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
If you can't understand why people want to be able to shoot video in p24 then perhaps it is best to stay out of the conversation instead of just blindly jumping in to defending Canon.
Perhaps you are right. If I can’t understand why someone wants to do something , it is stupid for me to ask them why they want to do it.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Perhaps you are right. If I can’t understand why someone wants to do something , it is stupid for me to ask them why they want to do it.
Most professionally produced scripted primetime content is p24. Virtually all movies are p24. p24 is the standard. You seem to be unaware of this. People want to emulate what they see. This is why all of Canon's competitors offer p24 capability in their cameras. Their potential customers want it and they offer it. Canon's potential customers want it, but Canon only sees lost Cx00 sales.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Most professionally produced scripted primetime content is p24. Virtually all movies are p24. p24 is the standard. You seem to be unaware of this. People want to emulate what they see. This is why all of Canon's competitors offer p24 capability in their cameras. Their potential customers want it and they offer it. Canon's potential customers want it, but Canon only sees lost Cx00 sales.
Thanks for the straight answer, unworthy of one though I am. I am aware that movies have been shot at 24fps for a long time. The standard for silents was 16fps, but really depended upon how fast the cameraman cranked. I guess for a real cinematic look you would use repeated frames at 48fps in both cases.

Apparently Canon believes that this is not a huge factor in deciding whether to buy a G7X, and I doubt they worry about it taking away from Cx00 sales.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Yeahhhh.... I don’t get this position. The youngsters are adopting Sony because Sony is offering functionality at a value, not because they are looking at MTF charts. Sony has some of the fastest cameras out, and the best overall AF period.

I love Canon. I just bought the EOS R a second time instead of jumping ship, but Sony isn’t just flash... they are offering the FAR better mirrorless product RIGHT NOW. The youngsters don’t have ANY brand loyalty (for the most part), they are going for what’s perceived as the “best”right now. I don’t blame them, I get it; I hope I’m not the sucker that stuck it out with Kod... I mean Canon while the industry got pushed forward by an innovator.

Obviously I placed my bet on Canon, even though I think the R is a bit of a clunker, I believe that in the long run Canon will catch up with their tech, and offer what Sony has been unable to... soul.

You are equating spec sheet items with "functionality" but not including durability, the ability to continue working under extremely adverse environmental conditions, and just working the way it should out of the box as part of "functionality" as well. "Functionality" should include all of the above. That's the entire point of my comment. You're only considering as important what the Sony marketers and fanboys tell you is important.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016

Many of us are aware that 24p is the standard in many production circles. What we don't understand is why it is considered so vital when the content is being broadcast on 30/60 hz systems to 30/60hz televisions.

Upvote 0
You are equating spec sheet items with "functionality" but not including durability, the ability to continue working under extremely adverse environmental conditions, and just working the way it should out of the box as part of "functionality" as well. "Functionality" should include all of the above. That's the entire point of my comment. You're only considering as important what the Sony marketers and fanboys tell you is important.

Yes, I can only see what fanboys tell me.

I doubt you’ve ever actually spent much time with a Sony camera. They work just fine... out of the box, in the box, whatever.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
People want to shoot p24.
I’m sure some people do. Some people want to eat detergent pods to garner likes on social media.

The question is, how many want to shoot p24, and for what fraction of the global market does that desire represent a critical factor in the decision of whether or not to buy a particular camera? It’s a rhetorical question, you don’t have a clue as to the answer. However, it’s fairly likely that Canon does.

Just because he doesn't realize what can be done with p24 content and where it's used doesn't invalidate the point.
That’s basically what he asked — what can be done with p24 content that can’t be done with other frame rates? Are you unwilling to provide an answer to that question, or unable?

The point being made by several people boils down to viewing. If one is shooting footage to be used in a cinematic production shown in theaters, it seems reasonable to adhere to the established standard p24. Do you really think that cinematic productions are a majority use case for people buying Canon digital cameras? LOL.

Far more likely that people are going to watch footage they shoot on their own televisions. Those televisions typically offer frame interpolation (called different things by various manufacturers, TruMotion, AutoMotion, MotionFlow, etc.) that boosts p24 content to 60/120/240 fps, matching the refresh rate of the panel. Sure, there are technogeeks out there who will wade into the advanced menu settings and turn the feature off, to ‘experience the pure cinematography of 24 fps’ or some such, but I suspect most people don’t bother, and of course Canon’s target market is ‘most people’.

But I’m not a video guy, so I’ll pose the question again: in the context of viewing footage at home, what are the advantages of shooting in p24 and what can be done that is impossible to achieve with another frame rate?

Every camera reviewer should be loudly and proudly ridiculing Canon from the rooftops for such crippling...
So why aren’t they? Is it because they’re ‘sucking up’ as you suggest? Or could it be this issue has far more prominence in your own mind than it does in the real world?

This is why all of Canon's competitors offer p24 capability in their cameras. Their potential customers want it and they offer it. Canon's potential customers want it, but Canon only sees lost Cx00 sales.
All of Canon’s competitors offer it. Canon sells more digital cameras and more ILCs than any of their competitors...in fact, last year they sold more than their nearest two or three competitors (depending on segment) combined, bolstered by a ~4% increase market share. If you have some grasp of logic, those facts should tell you something about the importance of p24 video to the broader stills market.

Note that Canon’s consumer camcorders seem to shoot p24, from their current releases to at least as far back as my Vixia HF M41 from 2011. But as far as the stills market, the available evidence indicates that p24 is essentially irrelevant, despite your hyperbole about its apparent importance.

Upvote 0
Many of us are aware that 24p is the standard in many production circles. What we don't understand is why it is considered so vital when the content is being broadcast on 30/60 hz systems to 30/60hz televisions.
Except any decent television doesn't display p24 content at 60Hz. It displays it at 120Hz with a 5:5 cadence when fed a p24 signal. On top of that good modern TVs can recover the original p24 frames from i60 and p60 signals and display them at 120Hz with a 5:5 cadence too. If you want the same look as professional content you shoot at p24. If you want to lobby the industry to try to move them away from p24 I'm sure they'll eager welcome your letters, faxes, and e-mails.

That’s basically what he asked — what can be done with p24 content that can’t be done with other frame rates? Are you unwilling to provide an answer to that question, or unable?
You really need to up your trolling game if this is the best retort you've got. Other frames rates don't look like p24, which why you shoot at p24.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Except any decent television doesn't display p24 content at 60Hz. It displays it at 120Hz with a 5:5 cadence when fed a p24 signal. On top of that good modern TVs can recover the original p24 frames from i60 and p60 signals and display them at 120Hz with a 5:5 cadence too. If you want the same look as professional content you shoot at p24. If you want to lobby the industry to try to move them away from p24 I'm sure they'll eager welcome your letters, faxes, and e-mails.

You really need to up your trolling game if this is the best retort you've got. Other frames rates don't look like p24, which why you shoot at p24.
This is such bull. Not one person alive can tell the difference between 24p displayed at 3:2 at 60Hz and 24p displayed at 5:5 at 120Hz, not one.

Other frame rates? 25p is indistinguishable from 24p, all Canon cameras can shoot 25p even those that can't shoot full width 1080 24p, and that was my point, those people complaining so bitterly that Canon has deliberately prevented them from making the most amazing videos ever because of a lack of 24p are talking bull.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
That whooshing sound was the point sailing over your head. p24 doesn’t look like p24 when it’s interpolated up to 60/120/240 fps.

This discussion is manifestly pointless, but by all means go on whining about whatever trivial stuff matters to you, rest assured Canon couldn’t care less.

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
Does Sony have a 15-35mm f/2.8?

I mean... devil's advocate here, but Sony does have a 16-35mm f/2.8 which is probably equivalent enough for a lot of people. IMO the EF 16-35 would work at least as well as the Sony lens (even adapted), but you're passing up IBIS and if you don't already own one I could see not wanting to buy for the older mount at this point in time.

Upvote 0
Does Sony have a 15-35mm f/2.8?

I made the choice to stick with Canon, and will take the risk of the 15-35 being available by trip time. I am not going to be investing in any EF lenses, but I might break down and rent one or two if I have to.

That said, I'd be more than happy with the FE 16-35 2.8 GM. When I had my A7III it was one of my favorite lenses; quiet frankly I'd be thrilled if the new Canon just matched its optical quality, let alone beat it. I doubt very much the 15-35 will be significantly better than Sony's GM in any way, save for consistency in manufacturing.

Upvote 0