Canon announcements coming at the end of August [CR2]

Mar 26, 2014
That said, I'd be more than happy with the FE 16-35 2.8 GM. When I had my A7III it was one of my favorite lenses; quiet frankly I'd be thrilled if the new Canon just matched its optical quality, let alone beat it. I doubt very much the 15-35 will be significantly better than Sony's GM in any way, save for consistency in manufacturing.

I wasn't aware there was such a big difference between the Sony FE 16-35mm 2.8 GM and the Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L mkIII. I'll go and read some reviews.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I wasn't aware there was such a big difference between the Sony FE 16-35mm 2.8 GM and the Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L mkIII. I'll go and read some reviews.

Actually it seems that the opposite is true. Canon looks better than its Sony counterpart. And anyway certainly not worse.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Actually it seems that the opposite is true. Canon looks better than its Sony counterpart. And anyway certainly not worse.

It certainly is. You can cherry pick images on different bodies on a web site like that, or you can adapt the canon to a Sony body and see how they both really perform, and the GM is simply sharper, especially at center.

33C434D5-D6DF-4EA9-AF02-7EB378608867.jpegEABEA9F5-BD48-4D86-89BA-0F220F7DCA74.jpeg78FF0134-04C8-4157-B6C9-6F8CA01CD830.jpeg01124B4E-12DC-44FC-B84A-8FB77554C96B.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
It certainly is. You can cherry pick images on different bodies on a web site like that, or you can adapt the canon to a Sony body and see how they both really perform, and the GM is simply sharper, especially at center.

View attachment 185766View attachment 185767View attachment 185768View attachment 185769
TDP proves that Sony sucks at corners at 16mm for starters.

But lets check LensRentals:

Comparisons
Sony FE 16-35mm f/2.8 GM vs Canon 16-35mm f/2.8 L Mk III

The Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L Mk III is arguably the best 16-35mm f/2.8 lens, and therefore we consider it the standard at this focal length.

You can read the whole article and focal length comparisons yourself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
TDP proves that Sony sucks at corners at 16mm for startets.

Comparisons

The Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L Mk III is arguably the best 16-35mm f/2.8 lens, and therefore we consider it the standard at this focal length.

Oh please. Don’t bother the guy with data, he has an opinion!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
TDP proves that Sony sucks at corners at 16mm for startets.

Comparisons

Again, you cherry pick. The Canon is better at the corners at literally one focal length, which is the weak area of the Sony.

I’ll say it again, you can cherry pick specific spots on different bodies, or you can look at both lenses on the same body. The Sony is the better overall.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Again, you cherry pick. The Canon is better at the corners at literally one focal length, which is the weak area of the Sony.

I’ll say it again, you can cherry pick specific spots on different bodies, or you can look at both lenses on the same body. The Sony is the better overall.
As neuro said whatever you like. Unless you want to check with lensrentals.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Apparently you either didn’t read the article, or you failed to understand it. Regarding Canon vs. Sony 16-35/2.8 Roger concludes they’re basically similar, which directly contradicts your claim that the Sony is better overall. Hopefully everyone (but realistically, probably everyone but you) will trust Roger’s conclusions over yours.

But speaking of cherry picking, while you probably don’t have a bunch of copies to choose from, Roger does...and he tested them all. One notable observation he made: “The FE 16-35 f/2.8 GM repeats a pattern we’ve seen fairly often, but it’s a bit more extreme than usual. At 16mm and 24mm it’s pretty consistent. At 35mm it’s a random crap shoot. How random? At 35mm, copy-to-copy variation is, well, going to cause some issues.” Hopefully you got lucky in the crapshoot.

I’ll say it again, you just stick with your opinion in spite of data to the contrary. Just like those Flat Earth Society fools.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I think it is a completely and utterly ridiculous argument/debate to even waste your time having. There is not a decent quality lens on the market that will not produce fantastic results even on large prints and nobody would ever notice the difference(barring the purchase of a seriously faulty copy). Unless of course you enjoy viewing fine art prints of test charts. In which case I would suggest you visit a psychiatrist.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Apparently you either didn’t read the article, or you failed to understand it. Regarding Canon vs. Sony 16-35/2.8 Roger concludes they’re basically similar, which directly contradicts your claim that the Sony is better overall. Hopefully everyone (but realistically, probably everyone but you) will trust Roger’s conclusions over yours.

But speaking of cherry picking, while you probably don’t have a bunch of copies to choose from, Roger does...and he tested them all. One notable observation he made: “The FE 16-35 f/2.8 GM repeats a pattern we’ve seen fairly often, but it’s a bit more extreme than usual. At 16mm and 24mm it’s pretty consistent. At 35mm it’s a random crap shoot. How random? At 35mm, copy-to-copy variation is, well, going to cause some issues.” Hopefully you got lucky in the crapshoot.

I’ll say it again, you just stick with your opinion in spite of data to the contrary. Just like those Flat Earth Society fools.

Data like this? https://www.dxomark.com/canon-ef-16-35mm-f-2-8l-iii-lens-review/

It’s easy to play the review site game.

You’re still wrong. On the same body, the Sony is a sharper lens.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Data like this? https://www.dxomark.com/canon-ef-16-35mm-f-2-8l-iii-lens-review/

It’s easy to play the review site game.

You’re still wrong. On the same body, the Sony is a sharper lens.
Yes, another site that tests just one copy. That’s one thing that differentiates LensRentals – they average many copies, typically ~10. Another is that their tests are done on an optical bench, no camera required (dynamic range is a factor DxOMark’s Lens Score, and that’s obviously extrinsic to the lens).

Personally, I have no skin in the game – I sold my 16-35/2.8L II long ago, have a 16-35/4L IS, and have no interest in the Sony 16-35/2.8. However, I do have an interest in correcting the misinformation spouted by some people who’s opinions are clearly contradicted by reliable data.

Meanwhile, you go right on living in your fantasy world where your opinion is always right. Your earth can be flat there, because reality doesn’t apply.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I think it is a completely and utterly ridiculous argument/debate to even waste your time having. There is not a decent quality lens on the market that will not produce fantastic results even on large prints and nobody would ever notice the difference(barring the purchase of a seriously faulty copy). Unless of course you enjoy viewing fine art prints of test charts. In which case I would suggest you visit a psychiatrist.
What do you expect people spending lots of time on a GEAR website to be discussing? Art history? If anybody needs a little counselling, I'd suggest it is somebody who reads through pages and pages of threads debating the finest and silliest points about GEAR--all while despising the topic.

These debates are just as valuable as whether SOLO is true to the Star Wars canon ( ;) ) or should be excluded. Or whether Chris Pine was properly cast as Captain Kirk. Or whether Honda has a red paint job worth buying (or keeping as-is, once purchased). In fact, these debates are essential to the mental health of geeks throughout the galaxy!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
What do you expect people spending lots of time on a GEAR website to be discussing? Art history? If anybody needs a little counselling, I'd suggest it is somebody who reads through pages and pages of threads debating the finest and silliest points about GEAR--all while despising the topic.

These debates are just as valuable as whether SOLO is true to the Star Wars canon ( ;) ) or should be excluded. Or whether Chris Pine was properly cast as Captain Kirk. Or whether Honda has a red paint job worth buying (or keeping as-is, once purchased). In fact, these debates are essential to the mental health of geeks throughout the galaxy!
Not sure you can exclude SOLO entirely. Maybe exclude the 3 prequels though and execute the person who decided JaJa was a good idea

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
It's a relatively affluent area in CA. There are quiet a few of them with nicer cars at 19-20 than I have at 39. Demographics aside, it's been my experience that Sony is winning the younger crowed by a LARGE margin; who knows how that translates to the wider market.

I wonder what it’s like in less affluent areas. Then there might be a lot more lowly aps-c cameras which are a lot cheaper.

Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
Yeahhhh.... I don’t get this position. The youngsters are adopting Sony because Sony is offering functionality at a value,

While I agree that the a7r4 (sounds like a Star Wars droid name!) is really nicely impressive specs wise, it’s still damn expensive. I’d suggest that the best *value* in full frame is actually the lowly RP.

Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
Most professionally produced scripted primetime content is p24. Virtually all movies are p24. p24 is the standard. You seem to be unaware of this. People want to emulate what they see. This is why all of Canon's competitors offer p24 capability in their cameras. Their potential customers want it and they offer it. Canon's potential customers want it, but Canon only sees lost Cx00 sales.

But does it matter any more? In this age of YouTube content, etc. who, apart from those actually projecting to old fashioned film, needs 24p?

I’m quite happy to be corrected if you’re producing professionally scripted prime time content on these cameras of course! :)

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Upvote 0