Canon Announcements Coming August 14, 2015

dolina said:
Hjalmarg1 said:
Perio said:
New Canon 135 f2 would be awesome
Yes, with IS and latest optics will be terrific.
For the non-L lens I'd like a new 85mm 1.8 (II), with IS?
A 135 f/2 or f/1.8 with IS would be nice.
No, please. I'm gonna want to buy it but I won't have the money. ;D

Upvote 0

vscd

5DC
Jan 12, 2013
Germany
I think at the moment somethink like "Mum, I want a pony... but for 5$" is going on in here ;D

I set my bets on a new 35mm 1.4L II, arriving soon. For me it's not that interesting but I'm totally curious to see how Canon answeres to Sigma 8) I think if they fail they can loose a lot of reputation. To beat the Sigma optically is not difficult, Samyang already did this for half the price... but if the price is way too high and the whole thing is too big (drawback of the Samy) then this could be a problem.

Sometimes wonders will happen... so let's hope for a 35mm 1.2L IS (back again to the pony-station.) :p

Upvote 0
H. Jones said:
StudentOfLight said:
EF 120-300mm f/4 L IS USM

Oooh, never really thought about Canon releasing a constant aperture 300mm zoom lens. That'd be an interesting lens. I know a guy who shoots local sports with a Sigma 120-300mm F/2.8, and I can't help but be jealous of his extra reach when using my 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II. Doubt Canon would release a direct competitor, but even an F/4 would be a neat lens.

I'm now having a Sigma 100-300 F4, which is old, but very good. Such lens with IS from Canon would be interesting to me.

Upvote 0

e17paul

Keen amateur, film & digital. Mac addict too.
Oct 8, 2013
London, UK
Chaitanya said:
Where is the replacement for ancient Ef 50mm macro? I wouldnt mind if that lens was dropped altogether from lens selection. Sadly Canon doesnt have a lens to compete with Nikons 60mm macro. While their Mp-e 65, and 100m L are the best macro lenses keeping me in Canon camp for ages to come.

I gave up hope for that when I saw the old buzzy 50 macro lens endorsed by Canon for the 5ds/r. The 50 STM focuses down to 35cm, which is an improvement. The ZE 50/2 looks more tempting.

The old lens is great apart from its 1987 mechanicals and coatings.

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
H. Jones said:
StudentOfLight said:
EF 120-300mm f/4 L IS USM

Oooh, never really thought about Canon releasing a constant aperture 300mm zoom lens. That'd be an interesting lens. I know a guy who shoots local sports with a Sigma 120-300mm F/2.8, and I can't help but be jealous of his extra reach when using my 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II. Doubt Canon would release a direct competitor, but even an F/4 would be a neat lens.
I haven't seen any mention of a patent for such a lens from Canon, but to me it seems like a good idea.

120-300mm range would be useful range for indoor sports with full frame and outdoor sports with APS-C. Alternatively people shooting with two identical bodies can compliment it with either a wide zoom or a fast tele prime depending on the constraints of the venue.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
tpatana said:
vscd said:
I'd be happy for affordable long tele, like 500/4.0 at $1k.

Nice try. An 125mm large Aperture alone costs that much ;)

That's still easier than most items on my bucket list.

$1,000 for the 500f4 is an order of magnitude less expensive than the current lens, it's literally at least $9,000 off, or a 90% discount.

If you buy a lot of stuff at business closeout auctions I guess it can be done, but Canon isn't going out of business.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
After watching the Mayflower Concepts PMA presentation what Canon needs is a simple, app. controlled, NFC/Wi-Fi DSLR with a sim card. The intelligent Auto function will please 95% of the users and tap to post to Facebook, Flickr etc. on review with cropping supplied via the zoom / toggle buttons. Default will be jpeg set at medium for uploading.

Upvote 0
RGF said:
Chaitanya said:
Where is the replacement for ancient Ef 50mm macro? I wouldnt mind if that lens was dropped altogether from lens selection. Sadly Canon doesnt have a lens to compete with Nikons 60mm macro. While their Mp-e 65, and 100m L are the best macro lenses keeping me in Canon camp for ages to come.

the 200L macro is very long in the tooth. There was rumors about a T/S long macro.

It is... but with the 180L taking razor sharp shots ...

Upvote 0
May 18, 2013
I think the reason the SL1 was so unexpectedly popular, and why the SL2 will be so popular, is the target market is not a primary body. This shouldn't be the only DSLR you own. This solves a lot of complaints about people's primary DSLR while still letting them use all the expensive glass they own. For example, for someone who has a gripped DSLR, this provides something smaller. For someone who has a FF and wants extra reach, this provides a crop factor. For someone who wants something lighter, this provides about a 1.5lb weight savings. For someone with a FF camera that wants access to some of the ultralight weight EF-S travel lenses, like the 10-18 STM and the 18-135 STM. Or even for someone who has a wife who has smaller hands and wants something that will fit those hands better.

Yeah, in case you haven't figured it out I'm hoping this is the SL2.

Upvote 0
veng said:
I think the reason the SL1 was so unexpectedly popular, and why the SL2 will be so popular, is the target market is not a primary body. This shouldn't be the only DSLR you own. This solves a lot of complaints about people's primary DSLR while still letting them use all the expensive glass they own. For example, for someone who has a gripped DSLR, this provides something smaller. For someone who has a FF and wants extra reach, this provides a crop factor. For someone who wants something lighter, this provides about a 1.5lb weight savings. For someone with a FF camera that wants access to some of the ultralight weight EF-S travel lenses, like the 10-18 STM and the 18-135 STM. Or even for someone who has a wife who has smaller hands and wants something that will fit those hands better.

I'll consider the SL2 if they nail it: DPAF, touch screen with touch to focus, really good video with 4K no moire. I doubt it though, it will be better than the SL1, but I'll be really surprised if Canon doesn't hold back a lot of things. But, maybe Sony's innovations will shake them into being more aggressive.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
veng said:
I think the reason the SL1 was so unexpectedly popular, and why the SL2 will be so popular, is the target market is not a primary body. This shouldn't be the only DSLR you own. ...
Hi veng!

As an owner of a SL1/100D as secodary body I would and I do recommend this one also as primary body.
Because of its size, because of its features for money, because of its flexibility.
If you want more functionality you have to move upwards, Rebel xy or 70D, of course. Or even FF.
But for a lot of people this little one simply does enough.
It is a real good second body. but I suppose more people own it as first and only (having no numbers).

Upvote 0
May 18, 2013
Etienne said:
veng said:

I'll consider the SL2 if they nail it: DPAF, touch screen with touch to focus, really good video with 4K no moire. I doubt it though, it will be better than the SL1, but I'll be really surprised if Canon doesn't hold back a lot of things. But, maybe Sony's innovations will shake them into being more aggressive.
I think DPAF and a touch screen w/ touch to focus is pretty much a requirement for the SL2 to be successful. I'm not overly interested in 4K video at the moment, as long as I can get 60 FPS 1080 I'll be happy. I think the key question here is if the SL2 is supposed to be something that's cheaper than a rebel, or if it's something that's supposed to be a more compact DSLR. I'm hoping for the later with features that slot in between the rebel line and the XXD line, but features are only removed because they'd impact size and/or weight, not because they're trying to keep from cannibalizing sales. With the addition of the t5, I think that line will be Canon's new "price point driven" DSLR line, hopefully not the SL2.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Etienne said:
veng said:

4K video on a near entry-level body seems perfectly logical, and we all love that awesome DPAF on our EOS-M3 rigs.

Kidding. You are 100% right. The SL2 will get neither of those things.

- A

Upvote 0
veng said:
Etienne said:
veng said:

I think DPAF and a touch screen w/ touch to focus is pretty much a requirement for the SL2 to be successful. I'm not overly interested in 4K video at the moment, as long as I can get 60 FPS 1080 I'll be happy. I think the key question here is if the SL2 is supposed to be something that's cheaper than a rebel, or if it's something that's supposed to be a more compact DSLR. I'm hoping for the later with features that slot in between the rebel line and the XXD line, but features are only removed because they'd impact size and/or weight, not because they're trying to keep from cannibalizing sales. With the addition of the t5, I think that line will be Canon's new "price point driven" DSLR line, hopefully not the SL2.

I won't mind if they price it above the 70D, as long as the value is there in quality and features. The small size is attractive, but not if it is old technology. Make it sing and price it accordingly

Upvote 0