Canon announcements will continue as previously planned

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...To be honest, I am just waiting to see what kind of ridiculous price tag will Canon put on the cameras and then I am buying from the competition. It's just sad Canon is not even bothering to put competitive price tag on the camera with the same specs than competition's $500-$1000 cheaper cameras. They are losing a lot of users with their pricing strategy...

Just my 2 cents...dissapointed...

So you are disappointed with a price that hasn't even been announced yet? And, you have no intention of buying either camera? So why are you wasting time on this forum?

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
I hope you are too pesimistic. Realisticly, BlackMagic Pocket 4K camera, GH5, Sony's line, etc., are all 4K 60fps cameras with identical or even better specs than R6 (only 20 MP sensor on R6, really?) and they are priced around $1.000-$1.300 and have been out for years. So Canon has no business pricing R6 anywhere close to 2k. It belongs to $1.300 price range since it is offering something others have been for years, so it shouldn't be priced above that price range. Having said that, we all know Canon will ramp up the price as usual.
Same goes for R5, BlackMagic 6K camera is $2.500, so R5 should comparably be around $3.000-$3.500.
But we all know Canon will probably put the cameras out with prices similar to what you proposed. To be honest, I am just waiting to see what kind of ridiculous price tag will Canon put on the cameras and then I am buying from the competition. It's just sad Canon is not even bothering to put competitive price tag on the camera with the same specs than competition's $500-$1000 cheaper cameras. They are losing a lot of users with their pricing strategy...

I get what you are saying about the price tags but in my opinion the price difference would be worth it. I do love my GH5 but there's a reason why I am ready to replace it with a Canon and it's not due to price:

Color Science - Canon color science is a real thing, I shoot b roll at 1080P with my 5DIV at events and it blows away the colors of my GH5. In post I have to use the Leeming Lut + manual grading and still cannot get the colors to exactly match the Canon output.

Low Light- The MFT lenses are fantastic, I have the voigtlander 0.95 manual lenses which are excellent....but my 5D IV with a 2.8 on it still looks better in low light than the GH5.

Ergonomics, DPAF, Weather Sealing, Reliability...etc, etc, etc. Its like asking why Mercedes always charges so much when Ford makes cars too and charges less.

I run a professional photography and video production business; I take all new equipment acquisitions very seriously and think long and hard before making a move. My experiences with the GH5 are precisely why I have not gotten the S1H, S1R, and EVA1 and instead continued to hold out hope that Canon would eventually wake up; the images, video, and reliability coming out of my 4yr old 5D IV is the only reason I am still waiting; for me if Canon lives up to even half of the advertised specs that will be enough for me to go all in for both video and photography with Canon regardless of price.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
I hope you are too pesimistic. Realisticly, BlackMagic Pocket 4K camera, GH5, Sony's line, etc., are all 4K 60fps cameras with identical or even better specs than R6 (only 20 MP sensor on R6, really?) and they are priced around $1.000-$1.300 and have been out for years. So Canon has no business pricing R6 anywhere close to 2k. It belongs to $1.300 price range since it is offering something others have been for years, so it shouldn't be priced above that price range. Having said that, we all know Canon will ramp up the price as usual.
Same goes for R5, BlackMagic 6K camera is $2.500, so R5 should comparably be around $3.000-$3.500.
But we all know Canon will probably put the cameras out with prices similar to what you proposed. To be honest, I am just waiting to see what kind of ridiculous price tag will Canon put on the cameras and then I am buying from the competition. It's just sad Canon is not even bothering to put competitive price tag on the camera with the same specs than competition's $500-$1000 cheaper cameras. They are losing a lot of users with their pricing strategy...

The R5 will be priced in line with the 5D-series, i.e. $3499.
The R6 will be priced around the 6D-series.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Well atleast they aren't holding back the release another year to launch with the Olympics. Canons strategy to hold back cameras till right before the Olympics really blew up in their faces.
I'm not sure that is their only strategy. I think they want to get this whole mirrorless thing right - the R was a disappointment for many as the tepid market response indicates.

They wanted a new mirrorless that would be revolutionary in the way the 5D Mark2 was and the tech simply wasn't ready yet.

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
I'm not sure that is their only strategy. I think they want to get this whole mirrorless thing right - the R was a disappointment for many as the tepid market response indicates.

They wanted a new mirrorless that would be revolutionary in the way the 5D Mark2 was and the tech simply wasn't ready yet.
I agree with this...Canon is not Sony, they don't believe in releasing mediocre bodies with tons of bugs that they don't fix and instead expect you to buy a new body the next year. IMO Canon wants you to be a customer for life and probably makes more money off of the lenses than the bodies. The R was to triage the bleeding and the R5 will be their real body. I probably would have bought the R for video work when it was released if it just did 4K60FPS, had two card slots, and no recording limit.

Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020

There is a recent article on DPReview (an interview with SIGMA CEO, see here: https://www.dpreview.com/interviews...tm_medium=marquee&utm_campaign=traffic_source)
who states that supply chains in Japan/Asia are more or less back to normal.
While manufacturers don't fear about their supply chains that much any more, they do fear about dwindling market demand in US/Europe. So even if the supply of new gear were lower, the demand certainly is too.

Upvote 0

Shane

Shane
Nov 3, 2014
Chicago
So much crazy going on. I'm just hoping the R6 has a joystick like the R5. That will be my determining factor. 20 Pixels suits me perfectly for wedding receptions in low light and a R5 for formals. I seldom need to crop reception photos. If they make the R6 great in low light like the 1Dxmkiii it would be incredible for wedding receptions. Given the rumors state no top screen I worry it will be smaller like the RP and have no joystick. As far as face detection has come I am just old school and still like to choose single point focus manually when I want to. Especially low light dancing. Just my five cents.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020

Canon "ramps up the price"..."what kind of ridiculous price tag will Canon put on the cameras"...

Thanks so much for your totally biased - and ridiculous comments. Want the same specs for cheap - yup, you have alternatives. Want a quality camera that will have better color, better ergonomics, better handling, better build quality, etc. then you will consider Canon. As others have mentioned, you could get a Sony for cheaper, but is it worth the extra bugs, the inferior dust cleaning system, IBIS that jitters, industry worst weather sealing, not to mention very poor quality control on their lenses (have seen numerous comments about photographers needing to buy as many as 6 copies before they found one that was not badly decentered). As they say, you get what you pay for.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com

The R6 looks most likely to be pitted against the Sony A7, so that gives it a price tag under $2k similar to the 6D at launch or perhaps cheaper around $1499

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
Canon "ramps up the price"..."what kind of ridiculous price tag will Canon put on the cameras"...

Thanks so much for your totally biased - and ridiculous comments. Want the same specs for cheap - yup, you have alternatives. Want a quality camera that will have better color, better ergonomics, better handling, better build quality, etc. then you will consider Canon. As others have mentioned, you could get a Sony for cheaper, but is it worth the extra bugs, the inferior dust cleaning system, IBIS that jitters, industry worst weather sealing, not to mention very poor quality control on their lenses (have seen numerous comments about photographers needing to buy as many as 6 copies before they found one that was not badly decentered). As they say, you get what you pay for.
I met a photographer at an event a month ago who was a Sony user so I asked him what made him choose Sony. He said the price was right....then casually mentioned this was his second Sony body because the sensor died in his first one a few weeks after the warranty expired; but that that was OK since he wanted a newer body anyway. I know...just one user, one case, millions sold etc etc but it still blew my mind that he thought camera bodies were supposed to be so disposable.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0