Canon announcements will continue as previously planned

my .02

R5 - $3995.00
R6 - $2499.00

I'm basing those guesses off of the S1H and S1 prices. For the cinema camera my dream C series would be an RF mount C200 Mark II with 4K 120FPS, 4K 10 bit 4:2:2 internal, and RAW 12 bit 4K externally via HDMI.

If Canon made this dream come true I would get the C200 II and the R6 to replace my GH5. I'd then hold off a year or so and stick to my 5D IV for photography until the dust settled.

OK, I'll wake up now....C200 II is probably 3yrs out.
eos seem to be overpriced.
I think it would cost around $2000 and bellow.

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
eos seem to be overpriced.
I think it would cost around $2000 and bellow.
Are you talking consumer cost or cost to manufacture? what is your basis for that “cost” other than what you want to pay? This is a complex product requiring significant R&D, design, prototype, development, QA, testing, supply chain for production, tooling, manufacturing line development, training, marketing, supply chain to move materials and accessories to market, support services and training, cost of capital, etc, etc, etc. Once they recoup their upfront investment and go through cost reduction engineering and line optimization, the ”cost” will start to decline. The other reason for a steep decline would be poor sales and they want to recoup at least some of their original investment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I do not think that there will be a DSLR 5D ever again. (After anouncement of the R5 & R6)
They also never made another analog Canon 5 after having the 5D. ;)

Cheers
After what is currently happening to the world economy i would almost guarantee you are correct. As a matter of fact i would also assume that the number of models overall will halve. If we are lucky. If we are not lucky they will drop by two thirds

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
After what is currently happening to the world economy i would almost guarantee you are correct. As a matter of fact i would also assume that the number of models overall will halve. If we are lucky. If we are not lucky they will drop by two thirds

I expect the DSLR line to be completely dropped within 1-2 years. Canon mounts will be consolidated into just RF and EF mounts.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I met a photographer at an event a month ago who was a Sony user so I asked him what made him choose Sony. He said the price was right....then casually mentioned this was his second Sony body because the sensor died in his first one a few weeks after the warranty expired; but that that was OK since he wanted a newer body anyway. I know...just one user, one case, millions sold etc etc but it still blew my mind that he thought camera bodies were supposed to be so disposable.
My experience with Sony is that repair costs are extremely high, which has the effect of discouraging repairs for lower cost cameras.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
pretty sure the only 5 series update is the R5. it wouldn't make sense to invest R&D money into the past.
It all depends on sales, and dealers are being hit very hard. expect to see some of the smaller ones failing soon.

If you have money set aside, prices may drop as dealers need to convert inventory to cash.

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
The R6 looks most likely to be pitted against the Sony A7, so that gives it a price tag under $2k similar to the 6D at launch or perhaps cheaper around $1499

If anything it is the EOS RP that is more like the 6D. I still say if you look at the rumored video specs closely enough for the R6 it is more like an A7S II / S1 / GH5 competitor which would put it in the $2300 price range. To me the key giveaway is the 20MP sensor; Canon has to know that this looks bad on paper for photography; even the current Rebel line has more resolution, but from a video low light viewpoint that is a fantastic sensor size.

As a hybrid stills / video shooter I am more excited about the R6 than the R5. This is the perfect body that can replace my GH5 for gimbal video work as long as the full specs don't disappoint. If this camera can do 4:2:2 10 bit 4K @ 60FPS internal using H.265 like the 1DX III can it is game over. It might even be able to do some form of RAW over HDMI.

And if this is the sensor from the 1DX III you can already see how this would perform in low light from some of the early YouTube testers:

Upvote 0
I do not think that there will be a DSLR 5D ever again. (After anouncement of the R5 & R6)
They also never made another analog Canon 5 after having the 5D. ;)

Cheers
so someone please tell me what good it does to make an announcement when they have zero idea of availability and they can't even deliver the stuff that's been out for 90 days already and announced months and months ago?

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
If anything it is the EOS RP that is more like the 6D. I still say if you look at the rumored video specs closely enough for the R6 it is more like an A7S II / S1 / GH5 competitor which would put it in the $2300 price range. To me the key giveaway is the 20MP sensor; Canon has to know that this looks bad on paper for photography; even the current Rebel line has more resolution, but from a video low light viewpoint that is a fantastic sensor size.

As a hybrid stills / video shooter I am more excited about the R6 than the R5. This is the perfect body that can replace my GH5 for gimbal video work as long as the full specs don't disappoint. If this camera can do 4:2:2 10 bit 4K @ 60FPS internal using H.265 like the 1DX III can it is game over. It might even be able to do some form of RAW over HDMI.

And if this is the sensor from the 1DX III you can already see how this would perform in low light from some of the early YouTube testers:

I'm also much more into the R6 than the R5 because of the video. That said, with it's smaller size and lesser build than the R5 as per sourced rumors on this site, I'd be very surprised if this was north of $2K.

This is NOT necessarily the A7S competitor that Canon has hinted at. And the more we have learned about it, the less likely it seems. That is to say we yet see a more direct competitor with an even lower resolution tailored for 4K with a sensor at 12MP just as the A7S does.

If the his camera had the same body and build as the R5 but with the 1DX3 sensor, i'd be more inclined to agree as that would put it in the (still wondering where it is) A7S3 range which will probably be around $3000

I can't even put the BlackMagic in this argument as while it's a neat little camera, it's still a Micro 4/3 sensor. A 1DX3 should blow it out the water for video, which it does. I think we all agree the R6 should perform on par with the DX3 so far as video capability, although I don't believe there is yet any mention of what CPU will be in there

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
I'm also much more into the R6 than the R5 because of the video. That said, with it's smaller size and lesser build than the R5 as per sourced rumors on this site, I'd be very surprised if this was north of $2K.

This is NOT necessarily the A7S competitor that Canon has hinted at. And the more we have learned about it, the less likely it seems. That is to say we yet see a more direct competitor with an even lower resolution tailored for 4K with a sensor at 12MP just as the A7S does.

If the his camera had the same body and build as the R5 but with the 1DX3 sensor, i'd be more inclined to agree as that would put it in the (still wondering where it is) A7S3 range which will probably be around $3000

I can't even put the BlackMagic in this argument as while it's a neat little camera, it's still a Micro 4/3 sensor. A 1DX3 should blow it out the water for video, which it does. I think we all agree the R6 should perform on par with the DX3 so far as video capability, although I don't believe there is yet any mention of what CPU will be in there
I think it would cost Canon more to make yet another sensor for a specialized camera just to compete with Sony vs reusing the 1DX III sensor; especially if the 1DX III sensor is already better at low light than the A7S. At 20MP Canon is saving on cost vs creating a new sensor, they have a camera that takes higher resolution stills than the A7S, offers 4K 60FPS which the A7S does not, and probably has the same or even better low light capabilities than the A7S.

At a minimum I think the R6 is a video MILC stop gap to triage video shooter's departures long enough to see if it makes business sense to make an even more video focused body. I'm sure Canon is still keeping an eye on their Cinema line and they are doing more with less bodies.

Of course this is all speculation, if we had the full specs on the R6 the picture would be a lot clearer. If it turns out that the R6 only does 4:2:0 8 bit, has a recording limit, only does 4K with a crop, no XLR module is planned, only writes video to a single card slot, or the other 100 ways Canon has been known to cripple a camera in the past then it will be clear this is no GH5 replacement.

Upvote 0
I hope you are too pesimistic. Realisticly, BlackMagic Pocket 4K camera, GH5, Sony's line, etc., are all 4K 60fps cameras with identical or even better specs than R6 (only 20 MP sensor on R6, really?) and they are priced around $1.000-$1.300 and have been out for years. So Canon has no business pricing R6 anywhere close to 2k. It belongs to $1.300 price range since it is offering something others have been for years, so it shouldn't be priced above that price range. Having said that, we all know Canon will ramp up the price as usual.
Same goes for R5, BlackMagic 6K camera is $2.500, so R5 should comparably be around $3.000-$3.500.
But we all know Canon will probably put the cameras out with prices similar to what you proposed. To be honest, I am just waiting to see what kind of ridiculous price tag will Canon put on the cameras and then I am buying from the competition. It's just sad Canon is not even bothering to put competitive price tag on the camera with the same specs than competition's $500-$1000 cheaper cameras. They are losing a lot of users with their pricing strategy...

Just my 2 cents...dissapointed...
You’re comparing a full frame sensor to a crop sensor, of Course the full frame is going to cost More. At the end of the day these are still photography cameras, with video features, none of these hybrid cameras compare to a professional grade camera, from ease of use to quality, no comparison. GH5 videos all have that matrix lut, I don’t see how people do professional work with it, it’s obvious when it’s shot with a gh5, has green tint skin color.

Upvote 0

derpderp

Pixel Peeper
Jan 31, 2020
Um...I doubt they're getting rid of EF-M---they sell far too many of them (even if not so much in the US).

I think it might be a good idea for them to consolidate even the EF-M into the RF mount, seeing that the RF mount is where they're investing most of their R&D resources. Something like how Sony does it with just 1 mount for both FF and cropped sensor.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I think it might be a good idea for them to consolidate even the EF-M into the RF mount, seeing that the RF mount is where they're investing most of their R&D resources. Something like how Sony does it with just 1 mount for both FF and cropped sensor.

The reason they created two mounts in the first place was so that there would be a compact APS-C system; replacing that with RF mounts would negate that. And it's a far better selling system than the RF is, believe it or not. They're not going to abandon it. They're more likely to eventually abandon EF, and I don't see that happening for a LONG time if only because it's readily adaptable to the new systems.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020

The problem with that is the cost of the RF lenses. Setting the bar for entry for a Canon MILC at around $2000 (body + lens) will be a sure way to send people to the competition. Additionally, consolidation would mean the only Canon options are the Point and Shoots or FF; with the EF-M they are giving people the chance to own incredibly small bodies and much cheaper lenses, a recipe that has worked well for the MFT crowd. The one thing they are giving up is the easy path to FF that was there for APS-C bodies since FF lenses worked on them.

I'm sure Canon has crunched the numbers however, and probably decided the number of people buying FF lenses to put on their APS-C bodies was not enough to continue with the APS-C line.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0