Canon announces development of the EOS R5 full-frame mirrorless camera

Amazing the level of responses on this compared the relatively muted response to the 1DX III.
Perhaps the 1DX3 is targeted at professionals who don't spend that much time on fora like this...
And people, myself included, who spend time on fora like this to talk about things and who have real interest in photography are limited - for finanical reasons mainly - to EOS 5-style cameras...
And people interested in rebel-style cameras are not enough interested in photography to participate in fora like this...
In all, this might be why there is the most talk about semi-professional cameras here...
:eek:

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Amazing the level of responses on this compared the relatively muted response to the 1DX III.
I'm delighted Canon is bringing out such a camera but where are they going from here.
I'm sure it will be very expensive but why will you ever need to buy another one?
12/20 FPS and 48 MP, 8K and IBIS. Probably decent ISO performance. Eye tracking (The R is pretty decent already at tracking).
Canon camera business could be doomed from the perspective they have developed the ultimate mirrored and mirrorless camera in quick succession. What would make a user upgrade from here? The glass is already near perfection. (Canon INC overall I'm sure will do perfectly fine)
I think both are an amazing achievement and a credit to Canon but some part of me feels sad in that I love new technology but its at the point of maturing and there will only be little incremental improvements from here on.

I've lived through a period of amazing technological change, and I've loved it. The invention of the mobile phone, personal computers / laptops, flat screen televisions, electric cars, the internet , google (that you could search the world and get answers back) , wikipedia (unbelievable the knowledge it contains for free).

It all just seems to be slowing down. It's all improvements now but nothing breakthrough. I'll miss it.
What was the last major invention of something we didn't have? The iPhone is the last game changer I can think of and while its got better the latest iPhone is remarkably similar to the original.
Personally I miss all that improvement and daring to believe it could be made better.
I just can't think anymore how Canon can improve the camera (or at least an improvement that I'd find great).
If they brought out next year a 200MP full frame camera at 24FPS I'm not sure it would move me.

I'll be interested in the hype cycle for R5. I'm on a very high peak of inflated expectations. I'm personally expecting near perfection. That probably won't last.

View attachment 188683

I think unless Canon really messes this up by imposing artificial limitations, the technology is finally available for them to achieve most of the claims that they're saying.

The processor should be able to do 8K Raw, very little 8K crop, 10Bit H265, 8Bit 264, 4K60 with no crop etc.

Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020
Sounds amazing from the little that was disclosed and based on the original rumour. I dread to think what the price will be and how that will destroy the trade in price of the EOS R.

Contrary to most previous posts, I love the EOS R with the exception of the low FPS rate which the R5 should resolve with a mind blowing rate.

I need to sell something & save up quickly!
Trade price of the R: That will fall deep. Future bodies will have IBIS and one without will not be competitive. However, the R is a great camera that can be kept as backup body.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Perhaps the 1DX3 is targeted at professionals who don't spend that much time on fora like this...
And people, myself included, who spend time on fora like this to talk about things and who have real interest in photography are limited - for finanical reasons mainly - to EOS 5-style cameras...
And people interested in rebel-style cameras are not enough interested in photography to participate in fora like this...
In all, this might be why there is the most talk about semi-professional cameras here...
:eek:
I come here because it is far less depressing than the world news. There is actually, comparatively, good news here. I get to see beautiful work by members, get great advice, and some humor too.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

Max TT

Canon 60D / Canon 6D
Feb 9, 2020
Sounds amazing from the little that was disclosed and based on the original rumour. I dread to think what the price will be and how that will destroy the trade in price of the EOS R.

Contrary to most previous posts, I love the EOS R with the exception of the low FPS rate which the R5 should resolve with a mind blowing rate.

I need to sell something & save up quickly!

The current EOS R was dead on arrival!

It simply does not compare to the others in its price range. Like the A7III. The Sony came with IBIS, dual slots, uncropped 4k and extensive lense range.

But it’s all relative, if the EOS R were $1300-$1400, then I’d say it’s priced correctly. To compete with higher end APS-C like the X-T3.

The people that bought it at +$2000 I weep for them. They were definitely drinking the Canon koolaid.

Hopefully with the EOS R6 we see them compete in that $2000 range better. And EOS R drops down in the $1400 range with the RP in the $1000 range.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
The R5 unlike the R doesn't have a shutter anymore that closes
when you take off the lens, as it seems from pics with the exposed
sensor visible.
I'm assuming you're assuming this just based on the press photos showing the sensor exposed on the R5. But the fact that the sensor is exposed in Canon's press photos means nothing. Even the photo of the EOS R on Canon's page shows the sensor exposed. I suspect it's because they feel that it looks more impressive in photos to have the sensor exposed as opposed to showing the shutter. But it means nothing as far as whether or not the shutter will close when you turn off the camera.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
The R5 unlike the R doesn't have a shutter anymore that closes
when you take off the lens, as it seems from pics with the exposed
sensor visible.

They changed the way the shutter functions after the release of the R. For the R, the shutter comes down when the camera is turned off. On the RP, the shutter stays up to prevent damage to the shutter. That's why you can see the sensor directly in the RP and R5.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Even if they feel they can convert 80% of full frame DSLR users to mirrorless, I doubt they want to lose that remaining 20%. Everyone says "Canon is going to force us to..." But, last I checked, they don't have a gun to my head.

Excellent post -- I appreciate your perspective.

Pivot to CR Guy's own words:

...and recognize there has to be (at a brand/segment level) some sort a tipping point to leave mirrors, Canon will know when it is, and Canon will have a plan to get to the future state.

A purge of mirrored product lines is coming. I see the crop SLR lines and less unit-moving FF SLRs going early and the bread and butter pro stuff with high L lens pullthrough going late. 'Early' is already happening (remember the 760D/77D line? will we ever see a 7D3?). But when 'late' is happening -- when they start killing off the characters I really like on this show -- is a big TBD.

- A

Last edited:
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
They changed the way the shutter functions after the release of the R. For the R, the shutter comes down when the camera is turned off. On the RP, the shutter stays up to prevent damage to the shutter. That's why you can see the sensor directly in the RP and R5.

The RP also lacks a mechanical first curtain, which I think is the real reason instead of the "RP users are dumber than R users, they will poke their fat fingers through the curtain" reason Canon gave.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Upvote 0