Canon announces development of the EOS R5 full-frame mirrorless camera

Awesome! It's official!
Superb Development Announcements Canon - the sleeping giant has awoken and ready to take on might of Sony. Love the sound of Eos R5 - especially the 8K mode (possibly 30 fps and 4K up to 120 fps) - may be dual CFE's and slightly larger body with cool fan inside the camera to cool things down inside.

Competition is very welcome as it should wake up Nikon and Sony to up their game and as a Nikon user this would be most welcome.

Upvote 0
Also on a dutch reputable dealer there is a little bit more info:

45 megapixel CMOS sensor
8K video at 30fps RAW
4K video at 120 and 60fps
5GHz wifi

I don't know how accurate this is but it is looking promising

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
That makes sense, thanks.
So maybe the Sony is cheaper because the lens design is less costly and they covered the deficiencies by reducing maximum aperture at longer focal lengths. Given the RF 100-500 has 'L' classification I would be mildly surprised if Canon relies on the same design solutions - I would expect it to match the 100-400 at least in the same way as other RF lenses seem to at least match current EF designs.
'Move to RF and compromise on where you can use the lens' seems an odd call to arms.
I don't think they cut corners in the optical design. Apparently, it closely matches the expensive Sony FE 100-400mm G Master in the 200-400mm range where they overlap and beats it at 560mm when with 1.4xTC. The Sony lens is clearly an attempt to capture the birding and nature market.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
I don't think they cut corners in the optical design. Apparently, it closely matches the expensive Sony FE 100-400mm G Master in the 200-400mm range where they overlap can beats it at 560mm when with 1.4xTC. The Sony lens is clearly an attempt to capture the birding and nature market.

I am not saying they cut corners, but they designed to a price point which is what every manufacturer does with every product. And if they are going to maintain image quality in the centre of the optics, while offering at such a reasonable price something has to give and maybe that was the peripheral optics. Not a criticism but an assumption as to why it is f6.3 so early in its zoom range. Panasonic produce excellent glass in conjunction with Leica, but their zooms show similar characteristics - the aperture looks good on the spec sheet but then you find that it hits the narrowest aperture early in its zoom range compared to others.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 24, 2016
Canon wants their 50%+ market share back.
Price is one of their tools in that.

A clear price gap between A9II and R5 will make it even
easier to switch back.

Don't worry, Canon will still make a ton of money from that.
Look maybe we simply misunderstand each other here.
If, and that is what I understand you suggest, Canon decides to pit the R5 against the A9 II, they are not going to undercut the price, because video features and resolution easily outperform the A9 II whereas other features might be more similar. So Canon would offer a newer, better camera for a price lower than the A9 II and I don't think that is going to happen. How would they justify a price premium for a potential R1 with a feature set similar to the 1Dx III, assuming it comes anyhwere sooner than the 2024 1DX replacement would come.

I agree with you that they are going going to undercut the A9 II, they have to. But they are not targeting that segment of the market. They are going to target A7R IV and Z7 instead and I see a price higher than the Z7 and close to the A7R IV (maybe even a tad higher, cause 8K).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

freejay

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2015
Unlikely. Canon has a track record of mass pre-producing cameras.
They built 2.400.000 copies of the 5D MkIV before they started shipping.

Canon will for sure build close to seven digit copies of the R5
before shipping, and I am pretty sure it will ship in June.

CP+ will see samples under glass, Photokina will see working
copies.
All I wanted to say is: I want one! Now! :p

Upvote 0
Aug 24, 2016
Hay everyone! I feel disgusted with the canon's behavior. Olympus, Fuji clearly and boast of their achievements, while Canon hides everything under the pillow and quietly announces a new product. Is he scared?
It's a development announcement so what exactly were you expecting? It's nothing unheard of before and a lot of manufacturers do it.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Interested in the extenders. My guess is that unlike EF extenders they'll work with any RF lens and probably even the RF-EF adaptors and therefore any EF lens too

Nope. Those RF extenders project deep into the lens, and many RF lenses have rear elements very close to the lens mount by design. So definitely not going to be compatible with all RF lenses.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
I"m betting that's a not 5D-sized scroll wheel, but people will be posting overlays on 5D4 and EOS R in 3, 2, 1...

Pretty clear to me that it's a ~x0D size rear dial, with the whole layout being very similar to the 90D; the biggest difference seems to be the addition of a RATE/voice memo button. Seems very comfy ergonomics even if not 5D size, certainly lightyears above the a7 bodies.

Upvote 0
Aug 24, 2016
My (not joking this time) guess -- in no particular order:
  • A non-L 50 prime of some sort (nifty fifty, weird pancake, mid-ish-level like the 35 f/1.8 STM 1:2 Macro, etc.)
  • Some small non-L primes like the 35 f/1.8
  • A cheaper/slower UWA lens (f/4 or f/5.6 would have been my guess, but some super slow f/9 -14 is probably coming now. :p
  • Another L prime, perhaps the 24, 35 or 135
  • A 1:1 macro, surely (90-100 or so)
- A
Really hope we're getting some f/1.8 primes - now that there's IBIS hopefully without extra IS bulk - for reasonable prices. The selection of affordable f/1.8 glass Nikon offers for their F-mount has me green with envy for years now.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I bet that a lot of the folks who kept their EF lenses and went
the MC-11 route are coming back in hordes.

After all, Sony never got the user interface and ergonomics
right, and returning is just one body away for those folks.

By the end of the year Canon will have crossed the 50% market
share again. This beast easily rivals the Nikon D6 - at likely a
much smaller price tag!

Like the Canon 1-Series, the Nikon Dn series is about more than just specs.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I can definitely see a 'pro' style body as far as ergonomics go and built tougher. Although I imagine that as this is canon the R5 will have exceptional ergonomics anyway and be built pretty damn tough. Not sure they would emit 8k in the flagship now that they have it available. AF? Yep. Although I assume the AF of the R5 will be amazing anyway as it has to cope with 20fps in electronic shutter mode(again I am assuming it will AF in this mode). Battery life. Yep. Resolution? Maybe, but the resolution issue is not an improvement or otherwise. This thing seems awfully close to being a flagship. It certainly gives the A9 a run for its money ad if this matches the A9 imagine how sad Sony's flagship will look next to canon.

To get cinema 8K out of 3:2 sensor requires a minimum of around 40MP. Canon's 1-Series are currently at 20 MP.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
how's it been letting you down? (off topic) for that lens you really need to use DPP's DLO function against it.. especially to combat the PF that it exhibits.

Yes! The jump in picture quality makes it worth the frustration and processing time for me. I have a script to move pictures with non-Canon lenses directly to Lightroom and move pictures with 'crappy' Canon lenses to the DPP4 folder.
So glad photography is not my day job :)

• Haha
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
So cameras will be so expensive most people would have to downgrade one model compare to dslr’s... personally I can’t justify a 1d OR this R5 (if it’s $4000), leaving me with the lowest end FF camera. Understand this tech costs, it just sucks to see the value for money ...

The 5D Mark IV came out of the gate at $3,499 in 2016. That's equivalent to $3,727 with inflation between 2016 and 2020.

The 5D Mark III was priced at $3,499 in 2012 when it was introduced. That's worth $3,896 today.

Upvote 0