Canon announces development of the EOS R5 full-frame mirrorless camera

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Any guesses about the purpose of the "Rate" button on the upper left corner of the back?

I ordered my 5D, 40D and 5D3 on the days they were introduced. Each of them solved a compelling photographic problem at the time. I don't think I'll do that with this body, although I am VERY interested in it,

About the same as the "Rate" button on the left side of your 5D3?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Sorry I misunderstood you. In that case, it seems like you're asking an obvious question, which is "does everyone else want matching card slots, which will in turn enable higher speed shooting," to which I'm sure the answer is a resounding "yes," despite that it will increase the cost of using the camera. In my observation, not many forumers here would elect for lower specs, when given the choice, although for this one issue, you are obviously one exception.
Well, I am only semi-rational ;)

Upvote 0
There are two very good reasons for using a hood:

They block off axis light that can cause flare and ghosting, which is important if one is shooting under artificial lighting such as found in stadiums and gyms, or into the general direction of the sun (because that's where the media is allowed to stand and face their subjects).

They absorb the impact of things like linebackers and line drives so your lens' front element doesn't have to.

If the use of hoods was so presumptuous, why would pros be using them? They provide significant benefits especially on longer focal length lenses.

As the saying on the sideline goes, "If at least one of your hoods is not held together by duct tape, you're not getting close enough."

In my noob days I'd use a cheapo UV filter to protect my lens because some Youtuber said to. I've since ditched those and use hoods 24/7.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
And what brainless idiot will buy the 7400 euro 'flagship' 1Dx Mark III now this news is out? :)
Sure thing. What brainless idiot will buy a faster rolling shutter (both electronically an mechanically) to shoot fast action if they can buy a slower one?

Of course brainless idiots will buy a cheaper, slower one, and then complain on the forums about the jello effect.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I'm waiting to make sure there isn't a bait-and-switch like the EOS R – 8 fps ... but only 5(ish) in servo AF. Soooo you're back to 5D Mk II framerates with action. I mean, it was never meant to be an action camera, but still.
I would like to speak with the person whomever thought it was going to be an action body. Not sure there is such a person. Also not quite sure you are using the term Bait and Switch correctly. In fact I know you're not and was just being kind, at first.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
The product listing (so far) says "Up to 12fps Mechanical" which "up to" hints to me there are probably some catches. I wouldn't be surprised if that's how they differentiate it from the 1DX3, with crippled or no AF at the highest burst rates.

They need to give people a reason to still buy the 1DX3. They are a business, after all. It also mentions nothing about the 20fps electronic, yet.

They always say "up to" with regard to frame rates. That's because factors like ISO, scene complexity (which affects processing time), Tv, memory card write speed, etc. can slow it down.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I usually give dpreview the benefit of the doubt because it's a hard job writing articles that are balanced.

But the way they reported on this development announcement leaves all credibility of balance at the door. No, not at the door, they tossed it into the trash.

They decided to ignore canon explicitly stating that they record 8k video, and latch onto canon explaining the benefits of downsampling 8k to 4k as some weird theory that canon actually shoots 8K and downsamples to 4K and that's what canon means and that it really can't record 8k video. Even though Canon states you can extract high resolution stills from the video footage (hard to do without the video file).

No to mention Canon states: "helping to produce a camera that features high-speed continuous shooting and 8K video recording". How much more clearer does one have to make it?

So in their mind that counts it up as being possibly fake 8K video and thus the "8k" in quotes in their title and their two paragraphs of misgivings about 8K video recording.

If you can follow that train of logic, I'm really impressed.

This is where dpreview gets its bad reputation from. Because my first thought was; if this was Sony - they'd be screaming it from the rooftops, holding a parade, and we'd see 5 articles discussing it by now how class leading, innovative it was, etc. It could be a totally unfair assessment, but then again, this article from them was stupid.

Even EOSHD wrote a better piece on the announcement and he's been hammering Canon continuously for the last 5+ years.
There will definitely be more of those articles to come. People have grown used to ridiculing Canon for years and now I think it's more muscle memory analysis for a lot of people. Whether the camera does what it the announcement say it can or not is irrelevant - the hate will come one way or the other.

But at the same time, if the specs hold to our expectations, DPR's perspective won't matter too much because this camera claims to do things that just aren't possible for any other camera body for the time being. Further, if this thing sells in the neighbourhood of a 5D IV, they're going to sell a boat load of them - I wouldn't be surprised if there was a preorder backlog if there are no (or few) deal-breaker compromises.

Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
In my noob days I'd use a cheapo UV filter to protect my lens because some Youtuber said to. I've since ditched those and use hoods 24/7.
In my noob days I'd use a lens hood to protect my lens because the camera magazines told me to. Got tired of that quick enough and for the past 50 years I've relied only on UV filters. Never a problem.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
In my noob days I'd use a lens hood to protect my lens because the camera magazines told me to. Got tired of that quick enough and for the past 50 years I've relied only on UV filters. Never a problem.
I use both on all lenses except TS-E 17, where I use neither. Never a problem... except that TS-E somehow manages to catch ghosts even if the sun is behind my back.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
sonyalpharumors is fun at the moment...
Hi Mike. So what is the latest on Sonyalpha? Are Sony now looking to exit camera business? Has it been announced yet or they waiting for the Canon RS to be announced first?
a garbage truck dumped a box of used Sony mirrorless cameras on my nature strip last night. Thought about calling Salvos and ask them to collect. :) :)

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
Anyone who isn't taking a photo of something that's standing perfectly still.
That is where the third ring comes about, increase the ISO and there you have it. Good noise reduction sensor is the key to resolve that also.

However, those seeking to take pictures of fast moving objects will always prefer a prime lense with aparature of 2.8 and less (if that possible) anyone buying this lens will probably be someone like me that needs to compromise about the focal lengh and thier pocket delpth.

Upvote 0
I would like to speak with the person whomever thought it was going to be an action body. Not sure there is such a person. Also not quite sure you are using the term Bait and Switch correctly. In fact I know you're not and was just being kind, at first.
Well, I agree with you that it's not likely an action targeted monster in the same vein as the 1DXIII, but to be fair, Canon's press release did include the following line:

"The new sensor will enable enhanced features such as high-speed continuous shooting up to approximately 20 frames-per-second (FPS) when using the silent shutter and up to approximately 12 FPS when using the mechanical shutter – A feature professional sports and wildlife photographers will find to be extremely impactful on their ability to capture fast-moving subjects. "

So Canon already did tie this body to some action and high-speed shooting.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
They are talking about the NEW AF-ON Button so far only found on the 1D Mark III that also has a Joystick AND an AF-ON-Button, but the AF-ON-Button is not only a button but also (as far as I understand) allows AF-point switching. It appears they would have wanted this new button to appear on the R5 as well. As it is, the R5 has the traditional controls already found on the 5D Mark IV. What I am missing is the AF mode selector button (to switch from point to the various AF area modes). Is it hidden somewhere or is that feature implemented differently on mirrorless?

Maybe that's on the joystick too or it can be manually mapped.

One would think the 1DXIII has less need to optimize things to become multi-function as it is a big camera and the R5 would need it even more than the 1 series.

BTW, I keep getting surprised by the fact we are all talking about an inanimate object with such an amount of temper tantrums and heated arguments. Maybe I am just too calm.

Upvote 0