Canon announces development of the EOS R5 full-frame mirrorless camera

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Maybe not just one exception. Video recording will most likely need CFExpress unless the higher speeds will use external recorders. USH-II SD cards should be fine for stills shooting. Dual CFExpress cards will place a heavy cost burden on the camera until different suppliers and prices come down significantly. All the 1DXiii pricing I am seeing has a single card/reader and body bundled
Valid points. Canon likes different format cards (as least they did in the 5D and 7D), so I think that's a definite possibility. They could also pull a "Nikon" and offer consumers the choice of dual SDII or dual CFExpress. I think it comes down to what the price of the R5 is. If it's a $4,000 body then I'd say CFExpress for sure. If it's $3,000 it might be SDII.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Honest question from a new to Canon student: do some people really just yank the hood to zoom that one?
That's how my wife uses it. Reverses the hood and uses it as a handle to push-pull her 100-400 II. She started with the "I" version and just kept doing it with the two (muscle memory I guess). In fact, when Canon released the II version they specifically said it could be used as a push pull if people wanted. To each his or her own.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
That's how my wife uses it. Reverses the hood and uses it as a handle to push-pull her 100-400 II. She started with the "I" version and just kept doing it with the two (muscle memory I guess). In fact, when Canon released the II version they specifically said it could be used as a push pull if people wanted. To each his or her own.
yet then the reversed hood blocks lens function (on the Mk ii)

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
yet then the reversed hood blocks lens function (on the Mk ii)
I have no idea. I just know it works for her and she can put me to shame. So, as I said, to each his/her own. I do know better than to start mansplaining the proper use of the lens to her.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
Thought this was a fair take article and makes good points.

I am about 300 posts behind on this thread, but that article doesn’t seem super informed. Stuff like “Their processor division” (doesn’t canon source their DSPs?) or “the 5D4 processor is too slow” when rolling shutter, and crappy DR before that, indicate more of a sensor fab issue.

It was clear that Canon was lagging from chronic lack of investment in ILCs for a while, across multiple fronts. These improvements all took years of R&D to fix. Article makes it sound like in July of 2019 some VP said “oh hey let’s not make under spec’d camera anymore”

The R5 and the improvements that it has must have all been in the works for years.

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
Even EOSHD wrote a better piece on the announcement and he's been hammering Canon continuously for the last 5+ years.

I’m assuming Andrew is a working pro—his write ups are always super harsh on canon (too harsh IMO—his focus on video means he ignores the fact that cameras like the 5D4 are superb workhorses) but at least they’re coming from a point of frustration.

Does often feel like DPR are just fanboys.

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
Explain to us how you do "8K will come with at least a 2x crop" ?
In 3:2 you need 40+ MP!

Don’t bother trying to explain it to the trolls. They just have it drilled in to their skulls that canon==crop
Am I alone in hoping it has mismatching card slots? I seriously don't need memory cards to bankrupt me when also funding a new body and L plate. I bet if I shot video I would think differently but with stills, I am good with one of each.

I generally shoot raw+jpg and would love mismatched slots for that reason. But I remember sucking it up on CF cards for my 20D back in the day so I’ll deal either way

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
There seems to be another expert, Matt Granger, who tries to warn the public from being over excited, because - we are talking Canon here, right? ... And historically inaccurate rumour site information too.

His take is, that R5 might be able to do 20 fps only with a mirror up. Somehow he forgot, he's "analysing" a mirrorless camera. So much for those youtube experts ....

I was going to say "be nice to the nikon shooters, they're still recovering from the underwhelming D6" but then I watched the video and holy crap. He reads the "8K video" line and then says "this is just marketing guff"

The silly thing is, by 2021 8K is likely to be standard equipment on a high end ILC. "But heat!!" people say. Remember when the A7R overheated after like five minutes of video if it was more than 70 degrees out? Fixed. "You can't process the signals that fast!" one step down on a fab process and suddenly you can.

Folks just cannot friggin imagine that canon can pull off decent specs ahead of Sony for once, despite Canon clearly saying FOR YEARS they were late to mirrorless and late to 4K and have learned from it. Despite the fact that Canon literally makes equipment that makes computer chips. Lots of us have been hard on canon—rightly so—but it's from a place of "why hasn't canon invested in this ARGH" not "there is magic pixie dust in sony fab plans that canon will never have"

Edit: And then there's a whole thing about "CROP!!!!" when he's clearly conflating aspect ratios and crop factors. I really like Matt's channel but all that plus the "mirror lock up" thing just makes me wonder if he rushed this one out without thinking.

Edit 2: "You're not going to be able to get 8K RAW out of this!" and then in the same breath, saying "It's going to be MJPEG which is huge" (aka high bit rate) and immediately says "It's going to be a very limited bit rate" WOW.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I’m assuming Andrew is a working pro—his write ups are always super harsh on canon (too harsh IMO—his focus on video means he ignores the fact that cameras like the 5D4 are superb workhorses) but at least they’re coming from a point of frustration.

Does often feel like DPR are just fanboys.
Andrew decided one day not long ago to (out of the blue) post politically charged stuff on the EOS HD facebook page. That’s his page. His prerogative.

As expected, he elicited a swarm of negative reaction from half his audience, and more from others. Many reactions were like mine that simply suggested “Hey, we come here for camera talk. Not politics. You’re not doing your professional page any service here”. (I'm paraphrasing, but it was close to that.

He snapped back at me and others. Several folks told him “ok, we will just unfollow you if this is where your page is going and how you will treat your fans”. He then eventually, on facebook, on the EOSHD page, told me to “Go F**k myself” because he didnt like much of his audience understandably reacting the way they did.

So since then, Ive not followed him anymore.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Upvote 0

photographer

CR Pro
Jan 17, 2020
I guess I just disagree with the basic premise that Canon is able and willing to manipulate the market in favor of mirrorless. It seems like a very risky strategy in a shrinking market to push about half of your customers to a new format, especially when you have have essentially cut everyone loose with the RF mount. Yes, Canon wants to sell mirrorless cameras and they want to sell expensive RF lenses. But, I'm pretty sure they have done some serious cost-benefit analysis on neglecting/abandoning current DSLR users. The probably have a pretty good idea of what percentage they can convert and what percentage they can't. And, let's admit that they also want to sell DSLRs and EF lenses -- which are probably much more profitable now anyway.

Even if they feel they can convert 80% of full frame DSLR users to mirrorless, I doubt they want to lose that remaining 20%. Everyone says "Canon is going to force us to..." But, last I checked, they don't have a gun to my head.

I'm an R user. I like the system. But, there are things that DSLRs do better. Maybe Canon can close that gap with the next generation of R cameras (and until the R5 is released and we see how it works in the field, we won't know). As an R user, I'm skeptical. But, even if they achieve DSLR speed and quality autofocus and OVF responsiveness, I'm sure they realize that there is a lag between having a product available and having customers adopt that product. The other point I keep trying to make is that DSLR development is not going to be frozen. The 1Dx shows that. We have yet to see how it performs, but if it comes close to the promise, I think it could provide some evidence that Canon is telling the truth when they say they intend to continue to develop both systems.

You say Canon wants us to join the mirrorless market. But it's also possible Canon wants us to have at least two bodies -- mirrorless for what it does best and DSLR for what it does best. In fact, they have probably figured out that there are people like me who bought the RF 24-105 because it was more convenient than constantly switching to an adapter when changing lenses from one body to another.

Now, no one can decipher the mysteries of Canon's marketing and development strategies, so I'm certainly not saying a simultaneous release will happen. Just, from my perspective, I think it might be the strategy that carries the least risk.

If Canon wanted people to have dslr and r, then it doesn't do R with a new bayonet. Who wants to carry both sets of lenses?

Upvote 0
The R5 unlike the R doesn't have a shutter anymore that closes
when you take off the lens, as it seems from pics with the exposed
sensor visible.
Those are the promotional pics where the camera is always shown with the naked sensor.

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
Sounds amazing from the little that was disclosed and based on the original rumour. I dread to think what the price will be and how that will destroy the trade in price of the EOS R.

Contrary to most previous posts, I love the EOS R with the exception of the low FPS rate which the R5 should resolve with a mind blowing rate.

I need to sell something & save up quickly!

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Sounds amazing from the little that was disclosed and based on the original rumour. I dread to think what the price will be and how that will destroy the trade in price of the EOS R.

Contrary to most previous posts, I love the EOS R with the exception of the low FPS rate which the R5 should resolve with a mind blowing rate.

I need to sell something & save up quickly!
I mean the EOS R was selling new for 1300-1500$ recently
So a camera costing over 3500$ will not make it depreciate in any significant way.

Upvote 0
unfortunately this forum does not have a search function in a specific therad - or at least I didn't find it -, so please forgive if I repeat something that has been asked or said here before:
There was no word on GPS in this camera, only that you could linkt the camera to a smartphone to get GPS information from the smartphone (so the R5 must have bluetooth). Given the smallness of GPS receiving units today, do you think this is really an omission in this camera? Other Canon EOS have GPS built in nowadays as a standard.
I wouldn't mind as I have the hot-shoe GPS-E2 receiver, but I still would find it strange not to include this in the R5.
At least it has WiFi built in. That is a great feature.

Upvote 0