Canon announces development of the EOS R5 full-frame mirrorless camera

Mark D5 TEAM II

Proud N0ink 0wnz0r / crApple iFruitcake H4t3r
Mar 5, 2013
Tleilax, Thalim Star System
And what brainless idiot will buy the 7400 euro 'flagship' 1Dx Mark III now this news is out? :)
Cannot believe Canon is charging 7400 for a product that is already outdated before it hits the market.
I am so happy there is competition now, else this R5 mirrorless would cost 7400 euro too..
If you have to ask , then you're not part of the target market. Ignorance is bliss. Leave the real pros in peace and don't get in their way.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
There was no word on GPS in this camera, only that you could linkt the camera to a smartphone to get GPS information from the smartphone

I really hope there will be a GPS in the R5. 5DIV has it, 1DXIII has it. Although R and RP don't. So there's something to worry about, but GPS will never be in the pre-release highlights.

Linking the camera to smartphone - thanks but no thanks. Increased battery consumption for both camera and smartphone.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
Edit: And then there's a whole thing about "CROP!!!!" when he's clearly conflating aspect ratios and crop factors. I really like Matt's channel but all that plus the "mirror lock up" thing just makes me wonder if he rushed this one out without thinking.
We are a week or so ahead of most of the rest of cameracentric cyberspace in digesting the R5 and R6 rumors. When this first started, there were people here on CR who we were saying much the same stuff. Then the R5 and R6 rumors went CR3 and things started seeming more real (but there are still people here talking about cripple hammers and nerfing). The many questions that keep coming up show how little information there is about camera specifics and timelines, so it may be a little early to start bashing the usual bashers. We can hope there will be plenty of time for that later for those of who feel the need to do so."

Upvote 0
What do we think the price will be?

Context: I need a hybrid cam, mostly for video (with good slow-mo), size doesn't matter, am weighing up a used 1DX Mark II + 24-70mm f2.8 = £3700 against holding out for this with the RF 24-70mm.
I'd say close to the 5D3 when it came out, but that's only a wild guess.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I really hope there will be a GPS in the R5. 5DIV has it, 1DXIII has it. Although R and RP don't. So there's something to worry about, but GPS will never be in the pre-release highlights.

Linking the camera to smartphone - thanks but no thanks. Increased battery consumption for both camera and smartphone.
GPS is one more power drain on a system that will want to get as many shots as possible out of a charge. If it’s omitted from R5, it could be to reduce power consumption.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Context: I need a hybrid cam, mostly for video (with good slow-mo), size doesn't matter, am weighing up a used 1DX Mark II + 24-70mm f2.8 = £3700 against holding out for this with the RF 24-70mm.
Viedeo-wise this will be a huge difference: 1Dx + EF 24-70 = absolutely no image stabilisation, you'll need a tripod and that good-old mirror is just an obstacle. R5 + RF 24-70 IS = double stabilisation IBIS + IS, you can shoot a lot without a tripod.
These alternatives are apples and bananas.
You might be better off with an EOS R + RF 24-70 IS

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
GPS is one more power drain on a system that will want to get as many shots as possible out of a charge. If it’s omitted from R5, it could be to reduce power consumption.

But it can be disabled if you don't want to drain the battery. I do it sometimes on my 5DIV, but in many cases I find in-camera geotagging very useful.
Connecting to a phone via bluetooth in order to enable geotagging is even more power-consuming.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Amazing the level of responses on this compared the relatively muted response to the 1DX III.
I'm delighted Canon is bringing out such a camera but where are they going from here.
I'm sure it will be very expensive but why will you ever need to buy another one?
12/20 FPS and 48 MP, 8K and IBIS. Probably decent ISO performance. Eye tracking (The R is pretty decent already at tracking).
Canon camera business could be doomed from the perspective they have developed the ultimate mirrored and mirrorless camera in quick succession. What would make a user upgrade from here? The glass is already near perfection. (Canon INC overall I'm sure will do perfectly fine)
I think both are an amazing achievement and a credit to Canon but some part of me feels sad in that I love new technology but its at the point of maturing and there will only be little incremental improvements from here on.

I've lived through a period of amazing technological change, and I've loved it. The invention of the mobile phone, personal computers / laptops, flat screen televisions, electric cars, the internet , google (that you could search the world and get answers back) , wikipedia (unbelievable the knowledge it contains for free).

It all just seems to be slowing down. It's all improvements now but nothing breakthrough. I'll miss it.
What was the last major invention of something we didn't have? The iPhone is the last game changer I can think of and while its got better the latest iPhone is remarkably similar to the original.
Personally I miss all that improvement and daring to believe it could be made better.
I just can't think anymore how Canon can improve the camera (or at least an improvement that I'd find great).
If they brought out next year a 200MP full frame camera at 24FPS I'm not sure it would move me.

I'll be interested in the hype cycle for R5. I'm on a very high peak of inflated expectations. I'm personally expecting near perfection. That probably won't last.

1581684808219.png

Upvote 0
Amazing the level of responses on this compared the relatively muted response to the 1DX III.
I'm delighted Canon is bringing out such a camera but where are they going from here.
I'm sure it will be very expensive but why will you ever need to buy another one?
12/20 FPS and 48 MP, 8K and IBIS. Probably decent ISO performance. Eye tracking (The R is pretty decent already at tracking).
Canon camera business could be doomed from the perspective they have developed the ultimate mirrored and mirrorless camera in quick succession. What would make a user upgrade from here? The glass is already near perfection. (Canon INC overal I'm sure will do perfectly fine)
I think both are an amazing achievement and a credit to Canon but some part of me feels sad in that I love new technology but its at the point of maturing and there will only be little incremental improvements from here on.

I've lived through a period of amazing technological change, and I've loved it. The invention of the mobile phone, personal computers / laptops, flat screen televisions, electric cars, the internet , google (that you could search the world and get answers back) , wikipedia (unbelievable the knowledge it contains for free).

It all just seems to be slowing down. It's all improvements now but nothing breakthrough. I'll miss it.
What was the last major invention of something we didn't have? The iPhone is the last game changer I can think of and while its got better the latest iPhone is remarkably similar to the original.
Personally I miss all that improvement and daring to believe it could be made better.
I just can't think anymore how Canon can improve the camera (or at least an improvement that I'd find great).
If they brought out next year a 200MP full frame camera at 24FPS I'm not sure it would move me.

The human race will always crave more, smaller/bigger, better, faster. It will be our ultimate demise. Sad I won’t be there to capture it

Upvote 0