Canon announces development of the EOS R5 full-frame mirrorless camera

I strangely feel Sigma or Tamron is more likely to give us a new longer than 100 macro than Canon will.

I appreciate the value of the 180L, but I have never seen one in the field in my entire life.

- A
The butterflys at the link were all shot handheld with the Canon 180L macro. It’s my only macro lens.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Why the Fuss over 8K Video!?

Given that tests reveal that most people can't distinguish between 1080P and 4K at normal viewing distances, why so much fuss here over 8K in what is essentially a still camera?

Whether you believe you are the exception to the above or not, what are you producing with 4K or 8K video? What subjects are you shooting and where can I see your 4K or 8K videos or motion pictures? If you're shooting video, why aren't you using a video camera?

Anybody else anxious to see information from Canon on focus-tracking for still photography? That's what will tip me between Canon and Sony that can use my Canon glass.

I make the occasional short nature video for scientific and educational purposes using 1080p resolution. Satisfies the customer base, which is interested in sharp video and clarity of presentation above meaningless numbers.

My ideal R5 might not have video capability at all. If that saved a few $ and a few grams of mass, all the better. I'm also not hung up on still resolution as much some of you; I'm still selling pix from a 6MP Nikon D100. My ideal R5 would have no more than 7500 x 5000 resolution. The big thing is that it would have the best focus tracking on the planet—corner to corner—so that I could capture that insect in mid-flight at maybe 10 fps/20 fps. It would get a GPS lock as fast as my iPhone does.It would set its clock by the GPS signal. It would be able to access any WiFi network with the same ease as my iOS thingies do and transmit my photos to the Adobe cloud or other cloud of my choice from anywhere I have access to WiFi (understand that is coming with the image.canon cloud in the summer). The WiFi manuals for the 6D II and the 5D IV are 170 and 180 pages, respectively. Ludicrous! The WiFi "manual" for my home security cameras is ¼ page.

Now, let's see your 4K and 8K cinema masterpieces! No cats, please. Any subject.

The image you see below has 3 x DCI 4k video screens used for UAV flight control (we used the boxed Canon 1Dcs mounted on wing and nose mounts for this one!) and today we use a much higher-end 360 degree surround-view system for much higher speed flight. The old large-scale 55 inch display flight and sea controller system is now 65 inch OLED eight-screen 360-degree surround-view!

so THIS is what we use 4k and 8k displays for!

--

Attachments

• Surround_View_4K_Displays_4.jpg
    Surround_View_4K_Displays_4.jpg
    410.1 KB · Views: 158
  • Surround_View_4K_Displays_Flight_and_Sea_Control_System.jpg
    Surround_View_4K_Displays_Flight_and_Sea_Control_System.jpg
    595.4 KB · Views: 158
  • Redacted Flight Control Screen.jpg
    Redacted Flight Control Screen.jpg
    538.5 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

David_E

Macrophotography
Sep 12, 2019
www.flickr.com
The image you see below has 3 x DCI 4k video screens used for UAV flight control (we used the boxed Canon 1Dcs mounted on wing and nose mounts for this one!) and today we use a much higher-end 360 degree surround-view system for much higher speed flight. The old large-scale 55 inch display flight and sea controller system is now 65 inch OLED eight-screen 360-degree surround-view!

so THIS is what we use 4k and 8k displays for!
And this is typical use of DSLR cameras? Man, I am out of it!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
I strangely feel Sigma or Tamron is more likely to give us a new longer than 100 macro than Canon will.

I appreciate the value of the 180L, but I have never seen one in the field in my entire life.

- A
I have a 180L Macro.. it's fantastic.. useless autofocus and nasty shallow DoF, but awesome images out it. Even put a 1.4x TC on it :)
(samples of the 180L with an 80D - https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?threads/fly-my-pretty.36271/)

and I hope to get the R5 (if I can get the $) to use with it!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I have a 180L Macro.. it's fantastic.. useless autofocus and nasty shallow DoF, but awesome images out it. Even put a 1.4x TC on it :)
Love to hear from some owners of the IRIX 150. Dustin seems to rave about it. I have zero need for AF in a macro lens so there is that going for it. He says it's IQ bests the 100L. Plus it comes with an AS foot!

Upvote 0

Traveler

EOS R6
Oct 6, 2019
1. No dedicated buttons for Mode dial
I hope Canon is gonna take advantage of the Mode button (instead of dial) and will allow for higher number of C modes. And the possibility to name them. Would be so nice to be able to create custom modes such as
- portrait
- tripod
- sport
- timelapse
- night street
Etc..

And possibly even chose which parameters it inherits from the main mode and which it overrides.

I really like the button. I can easily use my thumb to press the Mode button and change the modes without taking my eye away from the viewfinder.
Or use the C-fn button to quickly switch between modes

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Amazing the level of responses on this compared the relatively muted response to the 1DX III.
I'm delighted Canon is bringing out such a camera but where are they going from here.
I'm sure it will be very expensive but why will you ever need to buy another one?
12/20 FPS and 48 MP, 8K and IBIS. Probably decent ISO performance. Eye tracking (The R is pretty decent already at tracking).
Canon camera business could be doomed from the perspective they have developed the ultimate mirrored and mirrorless camera in quick succession. What would make a user upgrade from here? The glass is already near perfection. (Canon INC overall I'm sure will do perfectly fine)
I think both are an amazing achievement and a credit to Canon but some part of me feels sad in that I love new technology but its at the point of maturing and there will only be little incremental improvements from here on.

I've lived through a period of amazing technological change, and I've loved it. The invention of the mobile phone, personal computers / laptops, flat screen televisions, electric cars, the internet , google (that you could search the world and get answers back) , wikipedia (unbelievable the knowledge it contains for free).

It all just seems to be slowing down. It's all improvements now but nothing breakthrough. I'll miss it.
What was the last major invention of something we didn't have? The iPhone is the last game changer I can think of and while its got better the latest iPhone is remarkably similar to the original.
Personally I miss all that improvement and daring to believe it could be made better.
I just can't think anymore how Canon can improve the camera (or at least an improvement that I'd find great).
If they brought out next year a 200MP full frame camera at 24FPS I'm not sure it would move me.

I'll be interested in the hype cycle for R5. I'm on a very high peak of inflated expectations. I'm personally expecting near perfection. That probably won't last.

View attachment 188683
Not really. As unbelievable as the 1dx3 appears it is a camera for a small minority of working pros and cashed up enthusiasts. This camera is a camera that will appeal to a broader range of photographers. As does the R6 in reality(which I think will be a huge seller)

Upvote 0
And this is typical use of DSLR cameras? Man, I am out of it!

They're a LOT CHEAPER than using $40,000 Canon C300's and C700's like we used to do!

Once the older 1DxMk2 came out, we ordered 60 of them and have put them EVERYWHERE!

Ordered a literal TONNE of Canon CNE and Sigma Art Series Prime and Zoom lenses and have made out splendidly with putting them in Boats, Planes, Spacecraft, Undersea systems, etc. Once that new DCI 8K/50.3 megapixel 120 fps 4:4:4:4 RGBA/YCbCrA RAW 56x42mm sensor MF camera comes out, we'll switch to those!

---

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
Take the focal length and divide by f-stop number and what you get is the
diameter of the aperture. And the entry lens element must be at least as
big as the aperture.
Example: 135 f/1.4 -> aperture diameter is 96mm
That is optics/physics law!

The entrance pupil diameter is not necessarily equal to the aperture
stop diameter, because of the magnifying effect of lens elements in
front of the aperture. "Apparent aperture" is the key.

Canon explains it very nicely illustrated in this video:

Note how making the rear elements bigger and putting them closer to the
sensor allows for smaller overall diameters and better balanced systems.

Yes, that is physics.

And also yes, Sony can't do that with their small mount diameter.

• Love
Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
Why the Fuss over 8K Video!?

8K in itself my night not be important for you (or me). But is a sign that Canon has done big steps forward when it comes to sensor readout speed. This will improve camera performance in a lot of ways, including for 4K video.

It probably mean less "jello-effect" when panning in 4K videos (compared to similar resolution sensors with slower readout). It might mean it is possible to do fullsensor 4K/60p with dualpixel AF. It probably also reduces EVF lag and increases AF performance.

8K video in R5 will probably be RAW only. One thing is having reached the sensor readout speed making 8K possible, another thing is the processing needed to transfer 8K into a common videoformat. Also even simple contrast based AF probably requires some of that processing, so I expect the 8K RAW video to be *without* AF. DEFINITELY without dualpixel AF, which would require two times "8K readout" from sensor. For sure that ain't possible in first generation 8K.

But point is, the good news is not 8K. The good news is the high speed of sensor readout apparently achieved.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I'm a bit confused..

So, there won't be an R6?

And any guess on the price range of R5?

Thank you!!
Canon only announcing the R5 development does not mean there won't be an R6.

There have been numerous guesses for the price of the R5, ranging from the low 3000 all the way to the 6000 range. They are all just guesses.

Having some patience and looking forward to these exciting times for Canon shotters seems to be the most reasonable thing to me.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
The entrance pupil diameter is not necessarily equal to the aperture
stop diameter, because of the magnifying effect of lens elements in
front of the aperture. "Apparent aperture" is the key.

Yes, and that effect is necessarily used in most zoom lenses, otherwise they would be very dark zoomed in.

BUT, the apparent aperture can physically not be larger than the frontmost element, because that one uniquely determines how much light gets in. There’s no way around it, you can’t multiply the number of photons after they’re already in (without photomultiplier electronics that is).

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I'm a bit confused..

So, there won't be an R6?

And any guess on the price range of R5?

Thank you!!
It is made similarly to the EOS R, but with the IBIS, dual card slots, refined controls, upgraded battery, faster shutter, new sensor and processor added in - and all the advancements that come with these.

So now it is a 5D equivalent class professional mirrorless camera as the R5 naming scheme implies.

So the 3600-4000$ range seems most likely, probably closer to the latter number and the somewhat more affordable the R6 could be priced around 2300-2500$.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Yeah ok, I was reaching there.. LOL. But Sigma makes a 1.8 version for Sony at around $1,400 so a Canon non-L RF f/1.8 in this focal length may be good enough IF sharp wide open and the pricing around $1,700.
Rico, if Canon makes an RF 135mm f/1.8 you'd better believe it will be "L" and probably close to $3k. Just my opinion. I'd love to be wrong.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
There will never be an RF 135mm f/1.4L.
It's like saying there never be an RF 28-70mm f/2L.
Might have been true for the old EF mount, but with the RF mount, it is certainly possible to make it.
Although they probably won't do a 70-135mm f/2 tele zoom and the 135mm f/1.4 prime, they will do one of two, and of course it may take some time.

Upvote 0