Canon Announces EOS 60D

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CameraAddict

dilbert said:
You've arrived at your conclusion the wrong way. If you think of the 60D as being something for xxxD and compact camera owners to upgrade to, then it makes sense to support their cards.

I think we all need to stop thinking of the 60D as a 50D upgrade and think of it as the next step up for cheaper cameras. Upgrading from or just replacing a 50D means purchasing a 7D, not a 60D.

Canon could have made that "thought process" and the "conclusion" much easier by admitting they've dumped the 60D line. 50D users were expecting an upgrade to their camera, not to the Rebel. That wasn't a crazy expectation was it? If Canon had renamed the camera, announced the end of the 50D line, that would be it. I only hope that this new 60D direction doesn't devalue our cameras further if we ever try and sell them.

I've had 2 SD cards fail on me. I've also had one lose its write protect tab so it's bricked. SD cards aren't very durable. I have compact flash that I've had literally since the year 2000 and it's still going strong...

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
You've arrived at your conclusion the wrong way. If you think of the 60D as being something for xxxD and compact camera owners to upgrade to, then it makes sense to support their cards.

Canon reached the wrong conclusion when they called the camera a 60D. All they have done is confuse and enrage owners of xxD cameras. Really bad marketing!

I think we all need to stop thinking of the 60D as a 50D upgrade and think of it as the next step up for cheaper cameras. Upgrading from or just replacing a 50D means purchasing a 7D, not a 60D.

Or maybe switching brands. Like upgrading to a Nikon or Sony camera. These two companies seem to be moving faster up the technology ladder than Canon.

Sooner or later CF cards will no longer be supported in high end digital cameras as they all move to support CFast:
http://www.compactflash.org/080414_evolution_of_the_compactflash_interface.pdf

... so don't get too attached to those CF cards.

CF isn't dead yet, check-out the press release from CFA on the new CF5.0 spec. http://www.compactflash.org/pr/100222cf5prs.pdf

Upvote 0
J

jakkul

Sorry to interrupt you, but I need to let of steam...

At first when I saw what I was waiting for to replace my 350d, I wanted to kill myself for the time I wasted looking at CR every day for the past 2 months.

But looking back, it's not that bad. I can see why canon did that - 60d is a 550d-PLUS not 7d-MINUS. When you'd go to a supermarket and look at the cameras there, it's overloaded with Sony SLRs - I can't even count the models. If you'd see canons, you'd get the 1000d, 550d and 50d somewhere behind glass as a model only for PROs. The 60d is more like "I'm not that sophisticated", "give me additional $" and stuff and is a great tool for sales people to push it. 50d was not like that. So someone wanting just a photo camera can choose from 3 models not 2. Imho canon is trying to fight Sony with product range. If this is their marketing strategy, we'd see more bodies within price range between 1000d and 550d within this year.

I see that some of you are in rage because you wanted to upgrade your XXD's to 60D. Well, Canon wants to have your $ in the 7d. 60d is for supermarket shoppers that purchase stuff on impulse and not for people playing around with their cameras. I think that Sony's SLR range is also targeted at them. Most of SLR buyers do not dig around in the internet before they choose one thing over another - they want a slr, they go to a shop and get advice from salespeople.

I like the size of it - it's bigger than 350d, but smaller than 50d/7d. So I guess it's about the same as nikon d90 :). I don't mind plastic body, lack of insulation and stuff. I have the 350d for about 5 years and it did not die after shooting about 40k shots.

I don't think I'll buy that for one reason - you have to go deep into menus to change WB. You cannot press a button and turn a dial like in 50d/7d. I see why is that - most people always use automatic WB, and canon did their research to find that out. Same thing happens with all sony SLRs. You need to dig up in menus to tweek stuff - only the old A700 and FF models do it properly.

So maybe canon is going the same way: XD models for people that are interested in photography and want to control the picture and the rest are to be sold in supermarkets.

If the successor of nikon d90 will be just a better d90 not a different camera, I'm ready to switch and sell my canon lenses and flash.

All in all it does not matter. You can make as great photos with a 550d, 60d, 7d or an old film canon slr.

PS. Did anyone have had it in your hands already? I've read on dpreview, that using custom functions you actually can link WB setting to the SET button. Is that true? How does it work?

PS2. I'm going to IBC next week. Canon always has their stand there with the TV studio cameras they make. I'll look for the 60d to play with it. They always have some photo equipment around.

Upvote 0
Canon held a press conference in Japan for their new products on August 26.

Here's something from the press conference:
http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/img/dcw/docs/389/589/html/004.jpg.html

Full article at dc.watch:
http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20100827_389589.html

Basically, Canon's rep noted that the 60D is aimed at people who belongs to the upper-end of the entry market and the lower end of the prosumer market. It is an attempt at stimulating the fastest growing section of their sales, especially those who are thinking seriously about making photography as their hobby.

Upvote 0
jakkul said:
PS. Did anyone have had it in your hands already? I've read on dpreview, that using custom functions you actually can link WB setting to the SET button. Is that true? How does it work?

I didn't play with 60D but the approach for assigning a feature to SET button is always the same - from Customs features (for 60D it's C.Fn.IV-2) choose white balance. That's all. Each time when in shooting mode you press SET and change WB.

Upvote 0
G

gkreis

CameraAddict said:
I've had 2 SD cards fail on me. I've also had one lose its write protect tab so it's bricked. SD cards aren't very durable. I have compact flash that I've had literally since the year 2000 and it's still going strong...

+1 I had an SD card split apart and the write protect tab fell out.

Never had a CF fail. They are much stronger physically.

Upvote 0
c.d.embrey said:
CF isn't dead yet, check-out the press release from CFA on the new CF5.0 spec. http://www.compactflash.org/pr/100222cf5prs.pdf

It may not be dead, but the CF5.0 ("CFast") will require completely new cards, cameras and readers. They are not interchangeable. The switch to CF5.0 is no different from the switch to SD from the standpoint of new equipment requirements.

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
What do I need a camera to do? Focus a lens, open its shutter and capture light.

I started shooting with a Nikon F back in the day when it was a current model. And I've been using an incident meter since the 1970s. I don't need a stinkin' histogram or a screen for chimping. But most people do, so I don't complain.

I too used to worry about the features of Canon vs Nikon but then I realised what I wanted the camera to do and that the easier it made it for me to do the basics, the easier it was for me. Canon might not have had (or still not have) as many features, but if pro's are willing to pay $10k+ for cameras that do movements and three times that just for a back but don't have all of these fancy features like 51 AF points, etc, then how important are "features"?

I've shot medium format starting in the late 1960s. I have a 4x5 Toyo technical camera that doesn't have even one focusing point, but I have no trouble focusing it using a loupe.

But I'm sure most spots shooter wouldn't like to go back to one focusing point. BTW in case you haven't noticed some of the people that shoot team sports use 40D/50D. Not everyone has a 1D or D3.

Sooner or later CF cards will no longer be supported in high end digital cameras as they all move to support CFast:
http://www.compactflash.org/080414_evolution_of_the_compactflash_interface.pdf

... so don't get too attached to those CF cards.

Phase One and Hasselblad have both released Medium Format Digital Cameras this year that use CF cards. They may know more about high end cameras than you do.

Have a nice day.

Upvote 0
Golly, this kinda takes back to the days where the rule of thumb was to buy lenses 2x the cost of the camera because "it was the lens that created the image and the body was a universal capture device". That was also when you were limited on film or now thought as the sensor and now cameras have turned into computers with a lens mount attached... People got essentially what they always complained about with this series and to be honest 10d-20d-40d aren't really "upgrades" as much as it's just advancing technology... Upgrades in canon's minds and Nikons and every other manufacturer would be from a rebel to a 50d (or 60d) then 7d or 5d then 1d... That's the crutch of the customer upgrades they want, that's what they seek... Once you move up so far it gets harder to jump ship when you've invested so much... That's why they have cps (canon professional services). To keep the upgraders and the true professional customer base happy... Because that's where their profits come from.

Upvote 0
T

Thomas OMalley

I am very disappointed over Canon. Why must they lie behind Nikon (always).
I had expected HD Video with Autofocus!
And I have situations where I need video with at nice piece of glass in front.
Why make af Tilt and swivel screen, when you don't have a decent Live View and don't have OLED 1MP screen (can’t se af thing I sunshine with LCD)?
Now the 60D is a plastic toy camera, I must wait for the next 7D.
Here is a list over what the 7D mrk II should be like :

Must have
More sensitive CMOS not more pixels (better ISO)
ISO 50 – 25600
DIGIC 5 (perhaps two of them)
HD Video mode with 30fps with Live Autofocus
A decent Live View with perfect autofocus
Continuous shooting 9 fps
Water resistant (Weather sealing) still
Magnesium body still

Nice to have
A focusing screen departed in to 9 squares (Rules of Thirds) (at least as sparepart!!)
More than 9 AF points
Both SD and CF cards (rather than smaller and/or lighter camera)
Wireless File Transfer

Upvote 0

Stuart

Hi, Welcome from an ePhotozine fan, & 6D user.
Jul 22, 2010
London & Woking
www.ephotozine.com
awinphoto said:
Golly, this kinda takes back to the days where the rule of thumb was to buy lenses 2x the cost of the camera because "it was the lens that created the image and the body was a universal capture device". That was also when you were limited on film or now thought as the sensor and now cameras have turned into computers with a lens mount attached... People got essentially what they always complained about with this series and to be honest 10d-20d-40d aren't really "upgrades" as much as it's just advancing technology... Upgrades in canon's minds and Nikons and every other manufacturer would be from a rebel to a 50d (or 60d) then 7d or 5d then 1d... That's the crutch of the customer upgrades they want, that's what they seek... Once you move up so far it gets harder to jump ship when you've invested so much... That's why they have cps (canon professional services). To keep the upgraders and the true professional customer base happy... Because that's where their profits come from.
Yep, i was all but ready to jump from my rebel 400D to the 60D, but whilst its a spec jump its nothing more than the 3rd re-packaging of the 7D/550D - so i'm now not an upgrader. But am very interested in the reviews on the Sony α55 with 10fps & full time AF movie

Upvote 0
U

unexposure

dilbert said:
The theoretical maximum for CF is 133MB/s.

The first CFast devices made by Pretec were 160MB/s.

The theoretical maximum for CFast is 375MB/s.
Definded Spec for SDHC/SDXC is 106MB/s max which is pretty compareable to actual CF. The difference is: SDHC/XC are pretty wide spread and loads of notebooks/netbooks that were build in the last year already have readers for those.

But the Point for 60D having SD instead of CF is Eye-Fi. This feature is, at a closer look, the most impressive step canon took. They kill the need of buying an expensive wft and indirectly include Geotagging by just giving the User access to use Eye-Fi-Cards. So you can choose to buy a wft-grip for about 500$ or buy a battery-grip for 200$+150$ for an eye-fi pro.
In my opinion this gives 60D a (or even two) feature(s), 7D is missing: Cheapo-wft and Memorycard and Battery-Grip together for about two thirds of the original-wft solution. (without having the need of a battery-grip at all to use this feature). And another 100$ savings when using the geotagging-feature.

Comparing the prices of 60D and 7D considering these aspects, gives another 250$ savings by buying the 60D.

Upvote 0
E

Edwin Herdman

Most of my second post on the microadjustment thread is probably more relevant here, so here's a link.

When I first saw the 60D specs, it's true that I also felt a bit of shock: Even though I wanted to be smug about how poorly some people were reacting, I felt somewhat the same way. But I guess that's what happens when you take a well-respected line (the x0 line) and essentially gut the expensive bits from the build - like the

To Canon's credit they have positioned the model pretty well on price; it's fair to think of it as letting more people in the door over the $200 more at launch the 50D went for. However, you now have to pay $600 more to get back to roughly where the 50D was (plus video features which are not adding price onto the new cameras as the T1i / T2i are the basic models demonstrate).

Upvote 0
M

mivaho

Neuron said:
Anyone notice that since the release of the 60D, 7D prices have gone up? Before the release I could find a 7D in pretty much any store for 1699 or 1650, now it's no less than 1750.

Yep, seeing something similar with the 50D body it went from Euro 679 a week ago to Euro 695. Not as big a rise but it's going up instead of down. :) Kit price stayed the same though.

Michel

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.