Canon Announces The Development Of An Innovative Photography Solution For Live Events

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The solution will Enable Remote Operation of Canon’s Interchangeable Lens Cameras in Inaccessible Locations for Photographers
MELVILLE, NY, September 19, 2019 – Canon U.S.A. Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today announced that its parent company, Canon Inc., is developing a remote-control solution that will allow for operation of the company’s interchangeable-lens cameras. Remote operation of cameras has been growing in popularity among photo agencies and media outlets, as seen in today’s coverage of global sporting and news events. With that growth in mind, Canon is excited to develop a powerful solution that reflects years of testing and feedback from the organizations that will benefit the most from this device.

The solution, currently under development, utilizes a system that enables the camera’s optical axis to be perpendicular to the device’s axis of revolution. This intuitive alignment will provide users with operational capabilities that feel similar to...

Continue reading...

Wow, how big must this be - given the dwarfed size of camera and lens in the second shot!

I guess it won't be too long before no photog is needed at sports/live events - just get a tech to set up the equipment and the picture editor can take the shots they want from his/her desk ;)

(No, don;t get started on the picture editor's lack of creative eye - they won't like it!)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2017
I can do exactly the same thing currently with my DJI Ronin-S. If I use a CamRanger (the MkII has just been released for those that are interested) it gives me much fuller camera control than even Canon software does via the WFT.

Can you mount a $16,000 telephoto prime and get a precise tracking shot in the wind and rain? This is a solution that can scale to broadcast, not handle a mirrorless and compact zoom.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Can you mount a $16,000 telephoto prime and get a precise tracking shot in the wind and rain? This is a solution that can scale to broadcast, not handle a mirrorless and compact zoom.
The Ronin S can handle my 1DX MkII's with the 11-24 on, or the 24-70 or 70-200 f2.8's. I don't produce broadcast output and I suspect few here do, I don't use a mirrorless and compact zoom for my professional output either.

But my point holds true, Canon might think this is innovative, many if their customers have been doing similar for years and Canon software sucks when compared to others even when it is third party software controlling Canon cameras.

Upvote 0

Pixel

CR Pro
Sep 6, 2011
The Ronin S can handle my 1DX MkII's with the 11-24 on, or the 24-70 or 70-200 f2.8's. I don't produce broadcast output and I suspect few here do, I don't use a mirrorless and compact zoom for my professional output either.

But my point holds true, Canon might think this is innovative, many if their customers have been doing similar for years and Canon software sucks when compared to others even when it is third party software controlling Canon cameras.
Getty has been making these for years. Welcome to the party, Canon.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Getty has been making these for years. Welcome to the party, Canon.
Indeed, the people who need them have had them for a long time, the low budget people who can use the feature can shoehorn current affordable gear to work (me and many others). Canon are very late to this game and I'd certainly hate to work with their software if everything else they make is anything to go by...

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...But my point holds true, Canon might think this is innovative, many if their customers have been doing similar for years and Canon software sucks when compared to others even when it is third party software controlling Canon cameras.

There used to be a saying, "Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM."

If you are entrusted with remote camera coverage of the Olympics, NFL, NLB, NHL, etc. and your job depends on it, buying Canon's system and with it, Canon's professional support, is good job security. Yeah, no one on this forum will ever use this, but I'd be willing to bet that television networks, Sports Illustrated and others will be customers, no matter what Canon is charging.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Wow, how big must this be - given the dwarfed size of camera and lens in the second shot!

I guess it won't be too long before no photog is needed at sports/live events - just get a tech to set up the equipment and the picture editor can take the shots they want from his/her desk ;)

(No, don;t get started on the picture editor's lack of creative eye - they won't like it!)
The thing is the venue or who is hired to be the main media team would most likely own all the photos since i believe they would be the ones setting it up . i guess publications would have to buy the photos then have all the same photos.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
why are people here acting like this is for them. it seems like something a big company would invest in. it may not be the first thing like this but i guess Canon would send reps to market it to venues and show what advantages it has over competitors. since canon makes cameras i guess they can be sold as an all in one first party unified system.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
There used to be a saying, "Nobody ever got fired for buying IBM."

If you are entrusted with remote camera coverage of the Olympics, NFL, NLB, NHL, etc. and your job depends on it, buying Canon's system and with it, Canon's professional support, is good job security. Yeah, no one on this forum will ever use this, but I'd be willing to bet that television networks, Sports Illustrated and others will be customers, no matter what Canon is charging.
I'd be willing to bet that the real volume users of this kind of tech, Reuters, Getty and AP, are happy with the systems they have already developed, I remember seeing x,y,z, plane computer controlled heads for top end cameras and lenses with zoom control years ago from these companies for the Olympics.

I'd see the real market for these as rental houses to go out to people with decent budgets that don't do this kind of thing very often.

People like me, low budget but pushing to bring new perspectives, will keep using the gear we have, WiFi enabled gimbals, WFT's and CamRangers.

Screen Shot 2019-09-20 at 1.00.08 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-09-20 at 12.59.38 AM.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0