Canon Announces the EF 85mm f/1.4L IS USM

From the MTF, it seems to me that the Sigma Art is quite a bit sharper. It's all about compromises I guess, as the EF 85/1.4L is smaller, lighter, has IS and potentially a better AF (although the Sigma is already pretty good). Sharpness under optimal conditions isn't everything. We will have to wait for real reviews to see how it plays out in practice.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
privatebydesign said:
SecureGSM said:
Nice looking lens. Not sure the IS was that much useful shooting portraits though. Unless you shoot with shutter speed slower than 1/125 and you likely don't. Here is Sigma 85 Art mtf and distortion charts just for comparison.

privatebydesign said:
Jopa said:
mclaren777 said:
I was definitely hoping for a better MTF result. :(

Same :(

It didn't reach the 35 II theoretical level...

I'll take the four stop IS over an ounce of theoretical MTF. That IS unit is nearly as big as the one used in the 400mm f2.8!

Bokeh is looking very nice too......

Don't tell me where I shoot! I use the 35 f2 IS at 1/4 sec for people pictures, I'm sure I'll find a good use for the IS on the 85!

Also you can't compare different manufacturers MFT charts, Canon go so far as to say you can't compare their own MTF charts against each other at different focal lengths. Besides nothing on earth would convince me to buy a Sigma lens, so what it is capable of is irrelevant to me.

It's weird how everyone goes nuts for IBIS but as soon as Canon comes out with their own solution everyone acts like they never wanted it.
This lens is a first of its kind and establishes that Canon can compete with anything the Mirrorless brands have to offer.
Now we just need a 50f1.4IS and 35f1.4IS.

Upvote 0
All these mtf charts are only computer simulations in any case, few manufacturers actually measure the mtf values from their (representative number of samples of) lenses (Zeiss excepted). Nevertheless, I'm getting the impression that absolutely resolution was not the design objective of the Canon 85mm f/1.4 L IS and that the Sigma may very well out resolve it.

Perhaps Canon have received market feedback that users found the Sigma 85 Art too heavy and really wanted IS. I think that after the 35mm f/1.4 especially, many were expecting Canon to produce "the last word" in autofocus 85mm primes (probably with a price tag well north of $2000). It seems like this is not what Canon has decided the market wants and perhaps they are correct, the price certainly seems more reasonable than expected.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I have the 135 and have been waiting for a great 85mm, as the 135 is too long for me, and I also have a 200mm.

I hope this is at least as sharp as the 135 at f2.0 at f1.4. very low distortion and CA and have great AF and this will absolutely be my next purchase.

Sigma is not an option for me. And I like the form factor of the new 85, looks great to hold and handle.

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
traveller said:
All these mtf charts are only computer simulations in any case, few manufacturers actually measure the mtf values from their (representative number of samples of) lenses (Zeiss excepted). Nevertheless, I'm getting the impression that absolutely resolution was not the design objective of the Canon 85mm f/1.4 L IS and that the Sigma may very well out resolve it.

The 85 1.2 II 's IRL chart is actually better the theoretical one: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/MTF.aspx?Lens=397, so it could be the case with the 85 1.4 IS. If the contrast is good (the 10 lpm line), no aberrations, fast AF - Canon will make tons of money selling those, no doubt.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
wow, didn't expect this sort of reaction. never suggested for you what and how to shoot.
Not convincing you to purchase Sigma either. why would I anyway?
as to mtf chart comparison: correct, just thought I will have them here as a reference only.

privatebydesign said:
Don't tell me where I shoot! I use the 35 f2 IS at 1/4 sec for people pictures, I'm sure I'll find a good use for the IS on the 85!

Also you can't compare different manufacturers MFT charts, Canon go so far as to say you can't compare their own MTF charts against each other at different focal lengths. Besides nothing on earth would convince me to buy a Sigma lens, so what it is capable of is irrelevant to me.

Upvote 0
So, no BR then :( I was still holding some hope that it had just been "forgotten" in the rumoured specs ... Oh well. Still a buy for me.

I find it weird that we haven't seen BR in any other lens since the 35mm II. As far as I can tell it was pretty well received all around. It's no silver bullet, but it does a good job at controlling CA. So I wonder why we haven't seen more of it. I can see how it would be challenging to include it in zoom lenses, and I never expected to see it in more entry-level lenses, but if there was one lens where I expected to see it back, it's this 85mm.

I wonder if it's being left out because of technical reasons (maybe it's not so easy to make it work at other focal lengths) or just because it's been deemed to not be cost effective enough. In any case, as someone with a severe allergy to purple fringing, I'm a bit disappointed ...

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
what is obvious to you?
what if I proved to you that I make real photos then what?
Will you apologies?
Will you stop steering arguments around this place?

this is typical example of how you come across with you posts.

p.s. I haven't seen none of your photos yet. while there are tons of mine around here and on internet. care to share some?

snoke said:
privatebydesign said:

You take photos, other posts on Internet. Don't waste time here. Comments make it obvious who make photos and who not.

Upvote 0

hne

Gear limits your creativity
Jan 8, 2016
Jopa said:
SecureGSM said:
Nice looking lens. Not sure the IS was that much useful shooting portraits though. Unless you shoot with shutter speed slower than 1/125 and you likely don't. Here is Sigma 85 Art mtf and distortion charts just for comparison.

privatebydesign said:
Jopa said:
mclaren777 said:
I was definitely hoping for a better MTF result. :(

Same :(

It didn't reach the 35 II theoretical level...

I'll take the four stop IS over an ounce of theoretical MTF. That IS unit is nearly as big as the one used in the 400mm f2.8!

Bokeh is looking very nice too......

While I think IS is a good thing "to have" I completely agree it's not much relevant for portraits. If it offers fast AF it still can be a great walk around lens. I was just hoping for an Otus / Milvus / Sigma optical performance. Unless the theoretical MTF is wrong (worse than IRL)... :)

Of course there will be uses. Perhaps limited such at f/1.4, but there are aperture blades in those lenses for a reason.

I'm regularly hitting ISOs above 800 wide open with my 85/1.8 for photos in a home setting. That was the highest ISO with really good skin tones on the 5DmkII. If I can stop the lens down to about f/4.5, that'd give a much more natural transition out of focus for head and shoulder framed portraits. This would require 1/25s at ISO1600. Luckily the 5DmkIV has about the same DR at 1600 that the mkII has at 800. Add IS and as long as the subjects don't move faster than about 0.01km/h (0.007mph) you'd get a really sharp shot. Could actually be doable when people are sitting down.

Sure, I could use a 70-200/2.8 IS for such apertures, but that's a lens people get scared of if I swing it around indoors. And outdoors. People seem to associate big white lenses with mostly paparazzi and large groups PJs harassing politicians.

It be a lie to say that I'm not disappointed with the release date. November? That's after the fall colours portrait season!

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
just an observation, personal experience only, nothing set in stone:

still would be hard to achieve reliable outcomes as those people do breath and bodies keep on moving ever slightly :) I would not risk going under 1/60s shooting people up close with 85mm lens stabilised or not, your mileage may vary of course, but I was never able to achieve reliable results with 85 mm lens shooting at any slower aperture than that. there are plenty of other uses of course.

p.s. attached is an example of what you were referring to (people sitting down), Sigma 85 Art @F1.4, 1/60s, run and gun at a function. Sharpness is quite reasonable, to my eye at least, at 1/60s shutter speed but I would not go any slower.

hne said:
... I'm regularly hitting ISOs above 800 wide open with my 85/1.8 for photos in a home setting. That was the highest ISO with really good skin tones on the 5DmkII. If I can stop the lens down to about f/4.5, that'd give a much more natural transition out of focus for head and shoulder framed portraits. This would require 1/25s at ISO1600 . Luckily the 5DmkIV has about the same DR at 1600 that the mkII has at 800. Add IS and as long as the subjects don't move faster than about 0.01km/h (0.007mph) you'd get a really sharp shot. Could actually be doable when people are sitting down..

Attachments

• IMG_3213_DxO.jpg
    IMG_3213_DxO.jpg
    597.9 KB · Views: 187
Upvote 0
SecureGSM said:

still would be hard to achieve reliable outcomes as those people do breath and bodies keep on moving ever slightly :) I would not risk going under 1/60s shooting people up close with 85mm lens stabilised or not, your mileage may vary of course, but I was never able to achieve reliable results with 85 mm lens shooting at any slower aperture than that. there are plenty of other uses of course.

p.s. attached is an example of what you were referring to (people sitting down), Sigma 85 Art @F1.4, 1/60s, run and gun at a function. Sharpness is quite reasonable, to my eye at least, at 1/60s shutter speed but I would not go any slower.

hne said:
... I'm regularly hitting ISOs above 800 wide open with my 85/1.8 for photos in a home setting. That was the highest ISO with really good skin tones on the 5DmkII. If I can stop the lens down to about f/4.5, that'd give a much more natural transition out of focus for head and shoulder framed portraits. This would require 1/25s at ISO1600 . Luckily the 5DmkIV has about the same DR at 1600 that the mkII has at 800. Add IS and as long as the subjects don't move faster than about 0.01km/h (0.007mph) you'd get a really sharp shot. Could actually be doable when people are sitting down..

This is true, I can't see why they add the weight of a stabilised motor to focal lengths below 60mm

Upvote 0
Dear friends,

i'm quite sure, the lens will be fantastic but, once again, Rudy Winston is THE man to convince somebody that cancer is a hair color and not a possibly lethal disease! At 1:04 of the video he says that, the EF 85 f/1.4 L IS is priced between (???) EF 85 f/1.8 and EF 85 f/1.2 L! Technically speaking...well...ok, he is right but, from an ethical point of view, 1230$ north of 1.8 and 300$ south of 1.2 isn't exactly between (they should use "between" for something towards the middle in my opinion), it's just a marketing dept trick to put some sugar on a rather salty/overpriced piece of machinery!
Rudy could make a tremendous career as a Whitehouse spokesman, he can be the liar of the century without breaking a sweat :D

All my best wishes to you and your beloved, from marvellous, shiny, summery Greece...

Yiannis

Upvote 0

hne

Gear limits your creativity
Jan 8, 2016
wockawocka said:
SecureGSM said:

hne said:

This is true, I can't see why they add the weight of a stabilised motor to focal lengths below 60mm

I totally agree that breathing can become a sharpness limiting factor. Luckily we can get away from about half of it using servo AF.

With wider angles and longer distance you get away faster movements per pixel. Same framing at wider angle of course means shorter distance. If you limit yourself to no wider framing than roughly half-body portraits, I can agree that 60mm or so becomes way too wide for IS adding much. But not everything is half-body or tighter portraits. There's group photos too, and architecture, landscape, ...

Framing width over horisontal resolution, divided by shutter speed is the speed at which movements become one pixel long lines. At 24mm and 5m distance, you'll have 5.2m over 6700px on a 5DmkIV. This translates into 7.8mm/s (1/3") for for example a loosely framed group shot stopped down to f/4 in the back of a church. Breathing wouldn't be an issue here, but hand-holding that non-IS 24mm for 1/10s would.

Geometry. Yay!

PS. You take great photos. I've learnt a lot from looking at them.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
thank you for the appraisal. really appreciated.

just wanted to clarify. yes, i was talking about up close tight portrait situation at 85mm strictly. 35mm should not be a problem at 1/20s provided I have something to lean against to avoid camera shake. (a wall, a chair, a pilar, etc).
I found space constraint being an issue shooting functions indoor, therefore I shoot full body portraits and group with a shorter lenses (Sigma 35 Art, Sigma 50 Art). just not enough room to step back and shoot with 85mm lens.

I would prefer shooting with F2.8 zooms when run and gun but have to switch to Sigma 35 Art / Sigma 85 Art combination if light level gets really bad and no flash allowed.
attached is one of these shots. Sigma 35 F1.4 ISO 6400 1/30s. as you can see the sharpness is not brilliant at this shutter speed.

But I digressed, sorry...

hne said:
I totally agree that breathing can become a sharpness limiting factor. Luckily we can get away from about half of it using servo AF.

With wider angles and longer distance you get away faster movements per pixel. Same framing at wider angle of course means shorter distance. If you limit yourself to no wider framing than roughly half-body portraits, I can agree that 60mm or so becomes way too wide for IS adding much. But not everything is half-body or tighter portraits. There's group photos too, and architecture, landscape, ...

Framing width over horisontal resolution, divided by shutter speed is the speed at which movements become one pixel long lines. At 24mm and 5m distance, you'll have 5.2m over 6700px on a 5DmkIV. This translates into 7.8mm/s (1/3") for for example a loosely framed group shot stopped down to f/4 in the back of a church. Breathing wouldn't be an issue here, but hand-holding that non-IS 24mm for 1/10s would.

Geometry. Yay!

PS. You take great photos. I've learnt a lot from looking at them.

Attachments

• IMG_3592_DxO.jpg
    IMG_3592_DxO.jpg
    619.2 KB · Views: 149
Upvote 0
epsiloneri said:
From the MTF, it seems to me that the Sigma Art is quite a bit sharper. It's all about compromises I guess, as the EF 85/1.4L is smaller, lighter, has IS and potentially a better AF (although the Sigma is already pretty good). Sharpness under optimal conditions isn't everything. We will have to wait for real reviews to see how it plays out in practice.

MTF charts cannot be compared between manufacturers, so let's wait for hands on testing before we make any conclusions about sharpness and comparisons to the Sigma Art 85.

Upvote 0