Canon Announces the EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR

Micro Adjust seems like it is for adjusting the sharpness in the image to select masked areas, using the data from the DP files to know exactly where is in focus and where is not.

All the language seems to point to this being the function. NOT a micro focus adjustment in post. Still very useful for shooters doing gigs with thousands of shots to process. No longer need to mask, it's already to go. Also think of the possibilities for background replacement without green screens? Would it be better than a contrast detection style software solution?

The flare control thing is really cool though. I suppose it will increase noise by 1 stop in some areas of the image?

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Mt Spokane Photography said:
looks like Neuro was right when he said the dual pixel micro-adjustment was a selective sharpness adjustment using depth information. That's useful, but has nothing to do with a focus adjustment that some imaginative but uninformed web sites have posted.

Now I'm more anxious to see if we will have a firmware announcement for the 1DX2 tomorrow as well or at least during Photokina

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
tpatana said:
The "Making of day at the beach" demo video, did they use cell phone as external screen?

No. That's a Small HD 502 monitor via HDMI that is mounted to the Ronin M3. It's actually built in an iPhone Body, so it's deceiving. Really great little monitor. Expensive suckers too

Upvote 0
eoren1 said:
For all the speculation about Dual Pixel RAW, this line just...sucks:

Dual Pixel RAW***, in-camera Digital Lens Optimizer during JPEG shooting and Diffraction Correction technologies.
Yeah, that was a joy-kill. No pre-order here until I know what this is supposed to be doing. Also, only works with a wide open lens (not a problem for me)

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Maiaibing said:
eoren1 said:
For all the speculation about Dual Pixel RAW, this line just...sucks:

Dual Pixel RAW***, in-camera Digital Lens Optimizer during JPEG shooting and Diffraction Correction technologies.
Yeah, that was a joy-kill. No pre-order here until I know what this is supposed to be doing. Also, only works with a wide open lens (not a problem for me)

Video on Canon USA has nice demo of it, albeit brief demo

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
unfocused said:
davidj said:
Body only: $3,499
Body + 24-105 kit: $4599
24-105: $1,099

Why buy the kit? If my maths is right, it saves no money than buying separately (and actually costs a dollar more).

I noticed this too. It's pretty much the same with the 24-70 as well. I don't recall if this is typical or not, but I don't think it is.

Maybe this is another one of Canon's tactics to control prices - ie. by setting the kit prices to be body + lens, a retailer can't unbox the lens and sell them separately for less than the MSRP.
Whatever, the kit package will start dropping more than the two separate packages together. Maybe Canon also hopes some people will go for the kit in the beginning because body-only is limited(??).

Upvote 0
Roo said:
$5699 rrp in Oz :eek: now off my shopping list for now

Brutal isn't it.

I see on the Aussie site you can only get it with the 24-70 f2.8 in a bundle for pre order.

I am no expert but they may have set the price a little high to drum up business down under. I guess time will tell what happens to the price.

Like you, it's off my list for the foreseeable future.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2011
Roo said:

Michaels is advertising it for $4999. They are generally not the cheapest, so expect street prices to drop below $5000. I would give it at least a year for prices to settle.
For most of those who have the 5DIII, there is hardly a desperate need to upgrade, unless you have really punished your 5DIII.

Upvote 0
gmrza said:
Roo said:

Michaels is advertising it for $4999. They are generally not the cheapest, so expect street prices to drop below $5000. I would give it at least a year for prices to settle.
For most of those who have the 5DIII, there is hardly a desperate need to upgrade, unless you have really punished your 5DIII.

I came here to say that. Canon's web store is $5699, JB is $5699, Teds is $5199, and Michaels is $4999. It's being offered as body only or with the 24-70 2.8. I'm guessing they'll start offering the kit with the new 24-105 a bit later on, which will mirror what they did in Australia with the 5D III with the premium kit (24-105) and the professional kit (24-70 2.8 ).

It's a lot of money, but AU$4999 is slightly less than the US price of US$3499 plus 10% GST.

Upvote 0
davidj said:
gmrza said:
Roo said:

I came here to say that. Canon's web store is $5699, JB is $5699, Teds is $5199, and Michaels is $4999. It's being offered as body only or with the 24-70 2.8. I'm guessing they'll start offering the kit with the new 24-105 a bit later on, which will mirror what they did in Australia with the 5D III with the premium kit (24-105) and the professional kit (24-70 2.8 ).

It's a lot of money, but AU$4999 is slightly less than the US price of US$3499 plus 10% GST.

That's some positive news. What's your feeling on kit price with the new 24-105 when it comes out?

Upvote 0