Canon Announces the EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR

Jul 21, 2010
RayValdez360 said:
neuroanatomist said:
E said:
I have asked for a non-crippled camera

Well, it's good that you have these forums on which to vent your frustration. While you're at it, you should really stick it to Canon by not buying their crippled camera. That'll show 'em who's boss!
That's actually what some people are doing. The cameras are more than crippled. It's like they cut the limbs off. When another company adds a useful feature it should set a standard that other companies should follow later on. Canon tends to ignore modern advancements and standards set from other brands to bring the consumers only what Canon wants to give. Such as the 5DS should have had wifi for the price point when other brands offer it. 60p 4k on the c300 II when a camera near half the price offers it and does it well. A camera I would get but I feel isn't future proof enough. It's cute that Canon has so much money but that doesn't make my job easier or help me make more money than I could if they offered more features that others offer for cheaper.

No doubt. Please keep in mind that Canon doesn't give a damn about your job being easier or you making money, per se. They care about themselves making money.

When the 5DIII came out, these forums were all atwitter with people bitching about how they weren't going to buy a 5DIII for whatever personal pet peeve that Canon rubbed the wrong way by including or not including features. The 5DIII sold like gangbusters. So yeah, those CR forum folks really showed Canon. ::)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
E said:
scyrene said:
E said:
Mikehit said:
E said:
Are you people feeling well? :-\

You're not reading what I'm posting, and you are really rude.

I am reading what you are writing.
Canon has not put high-end video functionality in the 5D4
I call it manufacturing to a price point
You see it as them deliberately crippling the product
My comment was highlighting that every manufacturer compromises to meet marketing aims. You don't like those compromises so you can either go with it or buy something else.

Simple fact is they are NOT going to make the 5D4 a high end video option. If you want high end video option buy a high end video camera.
If you were saying 'I would like to have seen...' then that is understandable. Complaining that they have deliberately crippled a product is refusing to accept reality of what they have chosen to produce.

How much would you have been willing to pay for a 5D4 with the video you would like to see?

But you are just proving to me again that you're not reading what I'm posting.

I have NOT asked for high-end video functionality in the 5D4.

And I have also written time and time again that I don't want to buy a video camera. But that I'm OK with paying for a non-crippled 1D C Mark II, if there were one.

So how come this is impossible for you to take in? I'm accused of writing the same thing over and over, but that's obviously because you're not reading and understanding it. My demands on Canon are fully reasonable.

Let's put this as clearly as possible: YOU have asked for certain features. OTHERS have asked for other features. If Canon put in all the features YOU AND OTHERS asked for, then it would be closer to a professional video camera. Unless you believe your personal desires are either more natural or somehow more important to Canon, then there's no way for the company to decide between your wishes and those of others. Does this make sense? Nobody is saying YOU want a pro video model. But one person's wishes cannot define a market. Capiche?

I have asked for a non-crippled camera, with the quality Canon delivered already in 2012, paired with slow motion. That is not a very unique request, that I don't share with anybody else.

I was dissappointed with 5D Mark IV, but I was ready to get a more expensive model instead. But, as Canon cripples their cameras, that model does not exist.

And no, there are plenty of users here who keep repeating that I should get a video camera. There is even one in the quoted post that I answered. If you care to read it.

Here come all the "crippled camera" guys out of the woodwork. Well, I have the perfect solution for you and all you had to do is look for it. It is simple to use, has every feature every camera of it's type has, and extremely easy to repair yourself if there is ever an problem... which is highly unlikely. AND you can get it for next to nothing, just like all you "crippled camera" guys would like. BEHOLD:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/151567-REG/Santa_Barbara_SWA2B_4_x_5_Pinhole.html

Attachments

• pinhole.jpg
    pinhole.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 1,022
Upvote 0
sigh said:
wockawocka said:
GPS can be used for setting the clock across several bodies too right?

No, that's a feature reserved to the 1 series line. :p

Yes, GPS is used to synchronize the clock on multiple bodies (and phones and cell towers and high-speed trading and everything else your next breath relies on). Read the f**king press release.

Upvote 0
P

Pookie

CanonFanBoy said:
E said:
scyrene said:
E said:
Mikehit said:
E said:

My comment was highlighting that every manufacturer compromises to meet marketing aims. You don't like those compromises so you can either go with it or buy something else.

Simple fact is they are NOT going to make the 5D4 a high end video option. If you want high end video option buy a high end video camera.
If you were saying 'I would like to have seen...' then that is understandable. Complaining that they have deliberately crippled a product is refusing to accept reality of what they have chosen to produce.

How much would you have been willing to pay for a 5D4 with the video you would like to see?

And I have also written time and time again that I don't want to buy a video camera. But that I'm OK with paying for a non-crippled 1D C Mark II, if there were one.

So how come this is impossible for you to take in? I'm accused of writing the same thing over and over, but that's obviously because you're not reading and understanding it. My demands on Canon are fully reasonable.

Let's put this as clearly as possible: YOU have asked for certain features. OTHERS have asked for other features. If Canon put in all the features YOU AND OTHERS asked for, then it would be closer to a professional video camera. Unless you believe your personal desires are either more natural or somehow more important to Canon, then there's no way for the company to decide between your wishes and those of others. Does this make sense? Nobody is saying YOU want a pro video model. But one person's wishes cannot define a market. Capiche?

I have asked for a non-crippled camera, with the quality Canon delivered already in 2012, paired with slow motion. That is not a very unique request, that I don't share with anybody else.

I was dissappointed with 5D Mark IV, but I was ready to get a more expensive model instead. But, as Canon cripples their cameras, that model does not exist.

And no, there are plenty of users here who keep repeating that I should get a video camera. There is even one in the quoted post that I answered. If you care to read it.

Here come all the "crippled camera" guys out of the woodwork. Well, I have the perfect solution for you and all you had to do is look for it. It is simple to use, has every feature every camera of it's type has, and extremely easy to repair yourself if there is ever an problem... which is highly unlikely. AND you can get it for next to nothing, just like all you "crippled camera" guys would like. BEHOLD:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/151567-REG/Santa_Barbara_SWA2B_4_x_5_Pinhole.html

You see Charles, this is where the madness begins and why I left this forum in 2012... this banter is beyond ridiculous. Take a break for a bit and comeback when this has all died down. Go take pics if you can, forums are for bitching and whining, tech specs and has little to do with actual photography. Look how the CR forum jocks are eating it up, they love it because it gives them sense of usefulness... a million more posts and endless tit-for-tat.

Next up are the threads of madness "I got mine", "When will it ship?", "My 5D3 is now trash" and "Oh how Canon screwed me !!!" Followed by BS reviews and unboxing pics.

BTW... hope you're on the mend after the surgery, cheers. David...

Upvote 0
P

Pookie

Sporgon said:
Pookie said:
next up are the threads of madness "I got mine", "When will it ship?", "My 5D3 is trash" and "Oh how Canon screwed me !!!"

No, next up will be "my 5DIV is producing soft images compared with my 5DIII" ;)

Yea, forgot that... also the I was taking pictures in my closet with the lens cap on and look at this Fatal FLAW....

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Sporgon said:
Pookie said:
next up are the threads of madness "I got mine", "When will it ship?", "My 5D3 is trash" and "Oh how Canon screwed me !!!"

No, next up will be "my 5DIV is producing soft images compared with my 5DIII" ;)

Followed immediately by I AM WILL BE NIKON (or Sony, or Fuji, or whatever). :)

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Not sure if this is already out there. Maybe we should have a new thread for reviews and photos that are starting to appear? I'm pretty impressed and can't see myself going the 1DX II route now. For me 30 MP is important.

http://www.photographyblog.com/previews/canon_eos_5d_mark_iv_photos/

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Regarding the insanity, it's primarily caused by folk with lower posting numbers that that fly in and fly out, generally with little positive to offer. Otherwise CR is a pretty decent place to frequent, especially outside the gear threads. Of course there are exceptions. And then there is our beloved Dilbert.

Jack

Upvote 0

M_S

Jul 31, 2013
neuroanatomist said:
scyrene said:
E said:
Mikehit said:
E said:

Let's put this as clearly as possible. If you actually read what 'E' wrote, you'd see that's exactly what he's saying. I want it so everyone wants it. It's not a high end feature. It's important to me so it's important to everyone. It's so easy to do. So logical. Canon should have done it, because I wanted them to. Or else. Or else what? Exactly.

Capiche? ;)

Useless crap. Most of the time picking on somebody. Hope you have fun that way.

Upvote 0
M_S said:
neuroanatomist said:
scyrene said:
E said:
Mikehit said:
E said:

Let's put this as clearly as possible. If you actually read what 'E' wrote, you'd see that's exactly what he's saying. I want it so everyone wants it. It's not a high end feature. It's important to me so it's important to everyone. It's so easy to do. So logical. Canon should have done it, because I wanted them to. Or else. Or else what? Exactly.

Capiche? ;)

Useless crap. Most of the time picking on somebody. Hope you have fun that way.

Picking on? Hmm.

Upvote 0

M_S

Jul 31, 2013
Jack Douglas said:
Regarding the insanity, it's primarily caused by folk with lower posting numbers that that fly in and fly out, generally with little positive to offer. Otherwise CR is a pretty decent place to frequent, especially outside the gear threads. Of course there are exceptions. And then there is our beloved Dilbert.

Jack
You know, that comes with the tone here. It is "shut up" and "cry if you can, nobody cares", if you have a different opinion or follow a different line. Some guys simply say what they expected and get bashed down for being ignorant and selfish. Having read a lot in the forum in the last half year, I can clearly say, that that neuro guy is one of the worst pickers here. So in all due respect: if thats not pissing people off, i don't know. Open minded people will react in another way and argue differently than writing crap under the hood of irony and sarcasm.

Upvote 0

M_S

Jul 31, 2013
My thoughts on the matter.
Concerning the actual facts that have come out and comparing that to my Mark III.

Pros:
* Resolution is a welcome upgrade. I expected more in the region of 32-36 MP, but I am fine with that.
* AF system: very good indeed
* face tracking looked incredible good in the videos
* touchscreen all the time: looks very good, although I guess I would use it only for pinching in and using the Q-Menu, as these fields a bigger and easier to push as the unaltered old menu system. And with the adjustments I made to the button layout I am satisfied with the speed I get in changing settings already.
* WIFI
* GPS
* USB 3 (although USB C would have been nice too)

Cons:
* Starting price here in Germany. Way to high for me, making an instant buy impossible and other options more attractive
* no 50/60fps in 4K. Would have been nice
* no 100/120fps in 1080. This is a bit disappointing.
* no 4k over HDMI (one thing even ML can't fix, as this seems to be a hardware limitation of the interface v.1.3). And this is really a big bummer as you are very restricted then. For me the biggest con.
* 4K video codec will fill up your card very fast. With no way of getting the data out of the camera to an external recording device with better codec. Very big bummer.
* UHS I on the SD side is a huge letdown and what Canon thought of that is beyond me
* buffer size in conjunction with the slower card-interface will possibly cause some problems in certain situations, but that has to be seen

Unsure:
* sensor performance.

I had planned to upgrade from my Mark III, but looking at that list I have to sleep over it. For sure I will wait for Photokina and see whats planned elsewhere and descide from there.

Upvote 0
Refurb7 said:
Pompo said:
You are exactly right! All these "Explorers of Light" and ANYONE that gets anything from Canon or ANY brand in advance, are not to be trusted.

KiagiJ said:
A word of advice, don't believe any of the canon affiliated YouTube videos about it, wait for Independant reviews. I love my 1dx2 but believed all the early video hype about it being a stop cleaner high iso than the 1dx, so, that was bs in hindsight, they flat out lie to u, including those fancy photographers, basically anyone that gets it before release is compromised

Very true. And true for all brands. If you get the camera early, you are beholden to the company and probably get a nice discount too. Hard to be 100% honest when you have a financial tie and privilege.

The Sony, Fuji and Olympus ambassadors are especially egregious because every one of them (that I've seen) uses the word "Review" in their product launch articles. This is to make readers (and Google) think those are bona fide independent reviews and not directly tied to a manufacturer's marketing launch. It effectively sucks up all the initial Google searches for actual reviews of the product. Some include a disclaimer about their affiliation at the top, but some sneakily put it at the bottom or on their bio page.

Product launch articles are not Reviews and should not be titled as such. Misleading. Misleading. Misleading. I sincerely hope the Canon ambassadors don't play this phony "Review" game.

Just wondering, has anyone seen a flood of 5D Mark IV "Reviews" by Canon Ambassadors/Explorers? The is now standard when a new Fuji camera comes out — a bunch of Fuji Ambassadors publish their self-titled "Reviews" as if they are reviewers.

Upvote 0
It looks like a very decent upgrade from every perspective, but in the end the only way to really evaluate this camera isn't by its specs but by its operation and execution. I'll be at Melville, NY on Monday with some of my favorite lenses (35Lmk2, 85mk2, 100Lmacro, 70-200 f2.8Lmk2), a pair of 600exrts, a tripod and my 5D3 so I can take some side-by-side shots and check out things like AF performance, low-iso noise, buffer, the touch screen, low-light AF captures, et cetera. I hope I can give it a workout. I'm looking forward to feeling its weight difference (it's a little lighter).

Of course it will be better than the 5D3. How much better in use and IQ, I wonder? The 5D3 price will fall now so the Big Q for me is about which Price:performance ratio is going to be more compelling. I have a pair of 5D3s, but this might be an ideal time to pick up another and keep enjoying this camera for another couple of years. The 5D4 isn't going to get me more work, but if I feel like my hit rate will be better or if the IQ really stands out to me, I may jump on this new thang.

Upvote 0