Canon Announces the PowerShot S100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2010
-zero- said:
I went through the manual briefly and noticed that the number of pictures on a single charge is only 200
my last p/s dates back to 2004 so I don't know if this number is normal or not but it does seem a bit low

what is the average number of shots for a normal or high end p/s
for those who owned the s90/95 what did you get out of it on a single charge?

The S95 is also rated for 200 shots. The S100 uses a battery with a slightly larger capacity, so presumably it does use a bit more power to get those 200 shots.

Upvote 0
Z

-zero-

neuroanatomist said:
-zero- said:
I went through the manual briefly and noticed that the number of pictures on a single charge is only 200
my last p/s dates back to 2004 so I don't know if this number is normal or not but it does seem a bit low

what is the average number of shots for a normal or high end p/s
for those who owned the s90/95 what did you get out of it on a single charge?

The S95 is also rated for 200 shots. The S100 uses a battery with a slightly larger capacity, so presumably it does use a bit more power to get those 200 shots.

yes, in the mean time I checked the online manual for the s95 but my real question is for those who have used this camera, what is your "actual" number of shots from a single charge, has it ever been a limmiting factor (that would require a spare battery)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
It's hard to say. I do have an S95, and I've only drained the battery to the red once. That was no where near 200 shots, but as I stated, it's tough to evaluate. First, all manufacturers overstate battery life when compared to real world performance. Second, usage pattern matters - going out and shooting 200 shots at a time is not common, I expect. More commonly, one would go out and shoot a few dozen shots, again a day or a few days later, etc. Personally, I do have 2 batteries and I swap them out frequently. The time I nearly ran out of power, I had grabbed the camera when I was running late, and it had sat unused for a couple of weeks after a day or two of use, and I neglected to swap in the fully-charged battery. Li-ion batteries self-discharge, so a few days drops the charge level several percent. If you get in the habit of charging after every shooting day, I think you'd be fine.

Upvote 0
T

tknull

Just wanted to let you guys know that I just purchased the S100. Been watching for it to be available... and was about to give up hope of it being available for a trip i'm taking in a few weeks.... especially since it has disappeared from Amazon's website the last few days and I've heard nothing of this being released soon. But earlier today i came across a thread on another site, mentioning that some Best Buy stores had them (not on the site, but if you went to the store). Called the local store in San Diego (Mission Valley), and the lady on the phone checked, and said they were out, but that a nearby store (Mira Mesa) had 4. So I vaulted up there, and sure enough they did. Nothing on display, so you have to ask about em. So It'd be worth a call or trip to your local store to check.
P.S. I haven't used it yet... as I am quite shocked that it does not come with a SD card of any size whatsoever, and i got nothing lying around to throw in, and will have to go to Fry's in the morning to get one. But I plan to shoot a bunch of photos tomorrow, and if anyone wants anything checked out, let me know.
T.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.