Canon appears to have confirmed IBIS is on the roadmap

Gosh, I hope not. Anything you can do by physically moving the sensor you can do by digital manipulation, but with fewer moving parts, more reliably, smaller, ultimately cheaper. If the current digital stabilization isn't quite there, fine, do something physical, but I'd much rather see a full-digital solution. The R actually does digital stabilization in movies. I don't know what's preventing them from doing that in stills as well.
Quite substantial development in digital stabilization would be needed, though. The current digital IS systems stabilize movement only between subsequent video frames. You just can not digitally eliminate motion blur during a single exposure. You just can't. The only way to do this would be to divide the exposure to multiple sub-exposures, and to those sub-images use automatic alignment, perspective correction and stacking. Quite possibly possible in a few years, as that is what some mobile phones already do with long exposures.

And with longer focal lengths the movement of the image circle on the sensor plane (hand held) is too large to be compensated digitally anyway (same with IBIS, long lenses will always have lens IS)..

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Quite substantial development in digital stabilization would be needed, though. The current digital IS systems stabilize movement only between subsequent video frames. You just can not digitally eliminate motion blur during a single exposure. You just can't. The only way to do this would be to divide the exposure to multiple sub-exposures, and to those sub-images use automatic alignment, perspective correction and stacking.

That’s not the only way. You could run deconvolve algorithms. However they’d be no better, and probably quite a bit worse, than if done on a dedicated computer.

But I agree, the ability to keep a subject roughly in the same part of the frame from one shot to the next is completely different than stabilizing an individual frame. The digital IS canon uses won’t reduce blue induced by camera shake in a given frame.

Upvote 0