Canon, Canon Canon….. Please help the video stars

Sep 29, 2018
I just don't get Canon at all any more. Cell phones are eating our lunch so lets take features out of our cameras that cost nothing to include? If they hadn't taken such a vindictive approach to their video features here they had a chance to step on the competitions air hose. But they blew that as well. As it is, I don't see who the target audience is either on the stills side or the video side for this Frankenstien camera.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
When (read: if ever) DIGIC 8 gets hacked, most of these could be, eh... "Fixed by force".

I wouldn't count on it. Magic Latern still hasn't release a 5D IV FW and it's a Digic 6/6+. It has been released since 2016.

If anything, they have made security more difficult with each Digic processor.

Edit: Buy the camera that fit your needs. Don't expect third party solutions. You may have to wait for years, if ever, for those features.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Well, that's true. Leica shooters in general probably aren't into video as much as others.
Or maybe the Leica people have enough money that when they shoot video it is on a Canon C300. And this is what the Canon plan is. Video is important, and if it is important to you you buy a Canon cinema camera.

Upvote 0
I am not going to defend the decision of missing 24p and I think that the users should have the option of using or not using it rather than being denied at the first place. I also think that 24p it can be added rather easily via firmware update.
But, and it is a big but here. We shouldn't forget: (1) who is the end user of this camera; and (2) who is going to evaluate the footage that comes out of this camera. I guess Canon believes that the answer for both is average users (travel guys, pet adorers, soccer moms, etc.) who buy this low end and low cost camera.
Videographers know that 24p give a (perceived) cinematic/artistic look. But 24p does not look smooth on 60Hz (normal) television/displays without proper treatment and the image gets jittery (2:3 pull-down effect), i.e., the shots, specially panning shots, will not look good unless you do "slow and steady pans" that the soccer moms are not used to it. They are not used to NLEs like Premiere Pro to adjust the speed-duration in the timeline, too.
So if I am an average user and use 24p to shoot my dog running around and pull the video as it is and show it on my TV, it won't look good and stutters. Then my impression will be what the heck! I spent 1300$ on this camera to get footage like this that jumps every other second? But if I shoot in 30p and watch on 60Hz television everything will look perfect and I'll be happy and Canon will be happy to sell more.
Conclusion: There may be a good reason behind every nerfed decision, even if you don't like it.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

sdz

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I wouldn't count on it. Magic Latern still hasn't release a 5D IV FW and it's a Digic 6/6+. It has been released since 2016.

If anything, they have made security more difficult with each Digic processor. {emphasis added}

So, Canon engineers do accomplish some goals!

/sarcasm

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I

[...] But if I shoot in 30P and watch on 60Hz television everything will look perfect and I'll be happy and Canon will be happy to sell more.
Conclusion: There may be a good reason behind every nerfed decision, even if we don't like it.

Is a modern TV not a computer display with built-in video reproduction (from USB) soft- and hardware and some satellite receiver?
As far as I know BlueRay has often 24p and TV sets have to be compatible with it.

Upvote 0
I think many of us would be much more tolerant of Canon's technical hurdles with video if they weren't so obviously screwing us over for marketing and product placement purposes. Areas where we know they have the tech to compete, they just won't.

Honestly, if video is something you care about you owe it to yourself to look elsewhere while Canon sorts this out. A FujiFilm X-t3 is cheap, comes packaged with an excellent IS kit lens, and runs rings around every non-cinema body Canon makes. I love Canon for stills but they've allowed Video to pass them by which is sad because, at it's core, DPAF should be a winner.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Canon "Why don't you sell yor kid for spare parts, many rich peoples are looking for a liver or heart... then buy a C300"

I had the same thought - not about selling some organs, not necessary, I buy cheap 2nd hand cars and use them for an extended period - ok. it is pricey but if you really are into video maybe worth it. Maybe a C100 with XLR inputs is a much better option than an SLR if 1080p is sufficient.
For me I do not want to own to many different series of products. (O.k., too late, EOS M, APS-C, 5D i as FF) I want to reduce the number of things I own and would have been happy with a solid FF photo + video camera in ONE package.
I decided to buy a 4 channel XLR recorder for a 4 MIC setup to have good audio which is very often more essential than some percent more sharpness. The RP would have been an option for FF high aperture scenes in ... 1080 24p - I lik e my EF 100 f/2.0 and combining that with the control ring adapter: gorgous.

Just yesterday I viewed the movie Taxi Driver from 1976. Grainy video, good 1280x720 is adequate to reproduce that film. But the sound design is great and ... this movie is truely immersive - not by using surround and 4k but by using very good sound (I have only a stereo setup), great lighting and a great story.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Is a modern TV not a computer display with built-in video reproduction (from USB) soft- and hardware and some satellite receiver?
As far as I know BlueRay has often 24p and TV sets have to be compatible with it.
I would think by now that all TVs of any size run at 120 Hz or 240 Hz. My 10-year-old Sony LCD set runs at 120 Hz, and everything still looks good on it. I watch a fair number of movies on Blu-Ray. 120 is divisible by 24 as well as 30 and 60. 25 Hz PAL wouldn't do so well, but then I don't have any sources for it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
This is why we criticize Canon. too many fanboys always find a way to defend them even when they pull crap like this. Then you got the "I dont do video" guys. No one cares about you guys. You are relics. Video is important in 2019.
Canon cares about us guys who don't want to pay more for video features we won't use, and they show this by segmenting their product line. They are rewarded by having the highest camera sales.

Now, I truly don't care about video, and I don't care about you, either, but that's just reciprocating your indifference to what I want in a camera. However, Canon does care about you and other video centric users because they make cameras that are great for video, from the M50 to 1DX2 and professional video products, too.

Upvote 0

5D35D46D2R

There's Canon. And there are other Cameras.
Feb 12, 2019
Yes. Yes. And yes please Canon. Please add these two features mentioned above.

Can I also please ask, whilst we are asking for these for the EOS RP, can you kindly publish the major firmware update for the EOS R.

Specifically, software upgrade / firmware for Eye Detect AF.
Two specific user requirements .
1. The proximity of eye detection needs a big improvement. Currently, eyes are only detected at a headshot distance. This needs to change.
2. Currently, with the EOS R, Eye Detection AF is only possible when AF 1: AF Operation is set to One Shot and AF Method is set to Face+Tracking.

We need this to change to include AF 1: AF Operation set to Servo and AF Method is set to Face+Tracking.

There are a few other desirable functionality but these two will be a big improvement to the Canon R eco system.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
They're optimized for different things, even though they are often based on the same or similar technology. Movies or sports don't look amazing on most monitors for PCs and text is usually inferior on a TV compared to a same size computer monitor.

Upvote 0
In my 4 years as a pro photographer a shoot with 6d and 5d3.
I never touch the video function for the camera...
Ok mabey one time...accidentallly.

But...in 2019...when competition has so much to offer....not putting 24/25/30/60 and so on in every camera and to have superb quality on 1080...you must have belly...or be stupid.
If you have belly...that meens that you have best sensor on market (eitch it isn't) best af sustem... And so on with 1st in mind photografy... And shure... In the price range...
But wheit....canon does not have belly... Because it's not the greatest on the market on photography more specific...including apsc also
So... The first variant with belly...not the case here.... Witch meens that... Beeing stupit is the only thing left.

Eaven if i don't make video... I can say this... 750d frim nikon... It's miles away better then 5d3 or 6d...in photography...
I don't have one...and i regret now that wasn't buy first a 610d
Canon simply don't listen...they have a beautifull ecosistem...i can admit that...but the main tool to drive the ecosistem it's not what we want and need.

A lot of canon shoothers has left canon...for fuji and sony.... Not the same for nikon...

So... In 2019...not having 24/25/30/60/120 in 1080 at a high quality... It is a shame... And a proof that someone... Can and it does...piss on us.

Shame cancrap...just bring something good on the table to give you my money again.

Upvote 0
Canon cares about us guys who don't want to pay more for video features we won't use, and they show this by segmenting their product line. They are rewarded by having the highest camera sales.

Now, I truly don't care about video, and I don't care about you, either, but that's just reciprocating your indifference to what I want in a camera. However, Canon does care about you and other video centric users because they make cameras that are great for video, from the M50 to 1DX2 and professional video products, too.
The 1DX2 is not remotely "great" for video. Although it can deliver decent output if you are willing to put up with it's limitations, it's mostly just better than Canon's other non-cinema products. If canon allowed 4K HDMI output, CLog and any number of other improvements they could easily make with firmware it might be a pretty good video camera but they won't because it might cost them a Cinema camera sale.

Upvote 0

bf

Jul 30, 2014
"I also realize Canon seems to want to protect camera models that are up the food chain. Though I’ve always liked Steve Jobs’ philosophy on this; “If you don’t cannibalize yourself, someone else will”. But that’s a conversation for another day."

Thanks for starting this discussion! My thinking is that each product has to offer the maximum possible value for the customers.
Canon executives ususlly say it was the best that we could offer for such a price point. If it means, certain HW or even FW development has not been within the budget, I respect it! If it means they are protecting a more expensive product, that's wrong.
I also think Canon, specifically in the DSLR libeup has too many models. I think there should be 2 or 3 levels for each product line and each fully optimized.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This are the reasons i bought a Sony A7RIII to go side by side with my 1Dx mkII....Either Canon just can´t match Sony and Panasonic in video features (in hybrid cameras), or they are playing fools out of ourselves. If they want to piss off people that have invested a huge amount of money in their stuff....well they are hitting the point!

Let´s go see this things in a perspective...
Sony Cameras are on the market for looong time. Mirrorless ones are on the market for loong time. They can offer both solutions. Either better cameras for vídeo, that also make reasonable stills (A7s - series), or they offer great stills cameras with more that reasonable video features (A7rIII). They also launch for the market one fast camera with great video and great stills and tremendous fast for sports/wildlife (A9). They also send to the market a balanced camera with more modest features but still great, the A7III.

And what Canon do??? Launch the EOS R that is a good camera, no doubt on that, but unimpressive if you compare to Sony ones....Then they launch the EOS RP with good price, no doubt on that, but far behind the reality of the mirrorless world... This camera would be AWESOME in....2016!!!!

So.....What the heck! I was "forced" to buy the Sony A7R3 in December 2017 because Canon couldn´t give me an alternative body for the 1dxmkII. At that time they launched the 5ds and 5dsr with fantastic still quality but poor video! (no 4k....WTF???) Then came the 5dmkIV! Good for stills, good for video, but....less that impressive and with a stupid 120fps at...720HD!!!! Really???? Not to mention the lack of the C-log that Canon then give in firmware update! Ohhh by the way.....And what about the 1dx MKII CANON????? Why no C-log update for us?????? Just one more....

So at that time i bought the Sony one. I didn´t want to, i still desire A LOTTT to have 2 Canon bodys, but at that time was just impossible. I am working now with the Sony and the Canon and I am restraining myself of Selling everything that i have from Canon because I do love the 1dx mkII and do love the lenses I have...

Damn it Canon, can´t you jus make a F***king good camera like Sony???

But then....i check the market and i do believe that this new Canon R can be a great camera for guys that don´t care abou video, or non professional ones. And after I see this I do believe Canon want´s to say good bye to professional guys that do both vídeo and stills. No solutions, and the perfect solutions are already in stores with Sony brand on it.....I think i am tiring of waiting for a great solution from Canon....It´s been a more than 2 years wait....

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
The person who made these decisions in Canon must be paid by Sony!!!

It could have been so so so so much better.

The person who made these two decisions should be fired and once on its way out, should pack the guy who had final go for the 6DII sensor's decision.

Upvote 0