Canon, Canon Canon….. Please help the video stars

There is no mass market, only segments. People who want 4K video produced from the whole surface of FF digital camera (and care about frame rate, etc) are such a segment, and my guess it's a niche, just like calls only phones.

There are so much much more demand for serious video options than call only phones. Just look at the amount of video on YouTube. People don't want to bring two separate devices for stills and videos. They want portability, quality and convenient.

If there isn't a demand high quality video production, there wouldn't Panasonic, Sony, Nikon offering uncropped 4K, unlimited 4K 30, ProRes Raw, slow mo etc. There wouldn't be accessories made for serious videographers like Gimbal.

I don't even use the video features on my 5D IV because they really gimp on it. I use DJI Osmo Pocket 4K or Galaxy phone to record it. If I get one of the newer camera with better 4K, IBIS, and good video codec like Panasonic S1, I would definitely record it in 4K and down sample to 1080 if I need.

If I'm paying $2500, I would expect Canon to have proper 4K video option that's similiar to the competitions. They are definitely behind in this segment even though the 5D II was a pioneer in the video segment. They just segmented their camera further to protect from cinema line.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
There are so much much more demand for serious video options than call only phones. Just look at the amount of video on YouTube.

I doubt the average YouTube video requires FF camera shooting 4K (cropped or not), or frame rates higher than 24/30. Sure, I've seen exceptions, but we're not talking about those.

People don't want to bring two separate devices for stills and videos. They want portability, quality and convenient.

How many people?

If there isn't a demand high quality video production, there wouldn't Panasonic, Sony, Nikon offering uncropped 4K, unlimited 4K 30, ProRes Raw, slow mo etc. There wouldn't be accessories made for serious videographers like Gimbal.

It proves there is demand. I doubt how high it is.

[/QUOTE]I don't even use the video features on my 5D IV because they really gimp on it. I use DJI Osmo Pocket 4K or Galaxy phone to record it. If I get one of the newer camera with better 4K, IBIS, and good video codec like Panasonic S1, I would definitely record it in 4K and down sample to 1080 if I need to.[/QUOTE]

One person is not a good sample, e.g. I can count on one hand how many times I shot video in the past decade.

Upvote 0
I doubt the average YouTube video requires FF camera shooting 4K (cropped or not), or frame rates higher than 24/30. Sure, I've seen exceptions, but we're not talking about those.

How many people?

It proves there is demand. I doubt how high it is.
I don't even use the video features on my 5D IV because they really gimp on it. I use DJI Osmo Pocket 4K or Galaxy phone to record it. If I get one of the newer camera with better 4K, IBIS, and good video codec like Panasonic S1, I would definitely record it in 4K and down sample to 1080 if I need to.[/QUOTE]

One person is not a good sample, e.g. I can count on one hand how many times I shot video in the past decade.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure why you are asking me how many people. You are the one that said there 4K demand is a niche like call only phone. Again. Same question how many people? lol

You doubt it but provide no facts. Yeah companies like Pansonic, Sony, Nikon, all make photography camera capable of 4K capable camera and accessories (gimbal, external recorder) and because they have no market data. I should just trust some guy on CR over them and believe Canon isn't trying to protect their cinema lines /s

I don't even use video on my 5D IV and even know there is a demand video feature on expensive $2000 camera and up. I can't believe how much Canon user have to tolerate to defend Canon actions.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
If I'm paying $2500, I would expect Canon to have proper 4K video option that's similiar to the competitions. They are definitely behind in this segment even though the 5D II was a pioneer in the video segment. They just segmented their camera further to protect from cinema line.

How tedious comment such as this are becoming.Canon do not have the sensor technology to do full-frame 4K - simple as that.No conspiracy, no segmentation explanation just old-fashioned technical limitations.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
I'm not sure why you are asking me how many people. You are the one that said there 4K demand is a niche like call only phone. Again. Same question how many people? lol

When they released the 5DIV Canon explained that their research shows that people buying the 5D series generally shoot short segments of video to supplement their stills.
That is good enough for me to say that 4K, let alone full-frame 4k, is niche. You can argue how big a niche but it is not significant enough to make Canon do things differently.

Upvote 0

Kharan

R6, RP, bunch of lenses
Nov 9, 2018
How tedious comment such as this are becoming.Canon do not have the sensor technology to do full-frame 4K - simple as that.No conspiracy, no segmentation explanation just old-fashioned technical limitations.

No, but they do have a better sensor in the 1DXII, capable of putting out beautiful footage with only 1.3x crop. So where is it, outside of a super-expensive and massive body?

Upvote 0

Same as you said calls only phones a niche, LOL.

I don't even use video on my 5D IV and even know there is a demand video feature on expensive $2000 camera and up. I can't believe how much Canon user have to tolerate to defend Canon actions.

You expect the RP @ $1,300 to give video features of >$2K cameras? LOL.

You doubt it but provide no facts. Yeah companies like Pansonic, Sony, Nikon, all make photography camera capable of 4K capable camera and accessories (gimbal, external recorder) and because they have no market data. I should just trust some guy on CR over them and believe Canon isn't trying to protect their cinema lines

I didn't say Canon is *not* trying to protect their cinema lines. I'm saying you expect too much from the cheap RP.

Upvote 0
You expect the RP @ $1,300 to give video features of >$2K cameras? LOL.

No I expect Canon RP $1300 camera to have the same feature as Canon 5D II that was released more than 10 years ago and significantly cheaper than that.

If I tell you in 2019, there is going to be a $1300 camera that shoot video, what video feature would you expect to have? I wouldn't expect 4K uncropped, but I expect the very least 1080p 24P.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
My 5D3 still shoots great stills...and for now, I'm mostly all still 1080 for video.

But while I wait on the sidelines to see what the "5D" equivalent of an R camera comes out.....I'm contemplating the Black Magic Design "pocket" 4K camera.

Only about $1300....and with a metabones adapter, can take my EOS lenses.

I'm still researching and may rent one, but seems to me a good video alternative....without the $$$$$ price tag of other cinema cameras, etc.

Thoughts?

cayenne

Upvote 0
If I tell you in 2019, there is going to be a $1300 camera that shoot video, what video feature would you expect to have?

I have no expectations from products I have no intentions to buy.

When I do buy a 5DmkIII replacement, I'd like it to have at least uncropped 720p 24fps. I would be surprised & disappointed if Canon's replacement would regress that much.

Upvote 0
Or maybe the Leica people have enough money that when they shoot video it is on a Canon C300. And this is what the Canon plan is. Video is important, and if it is important to you you buy a Canon cinema camera.
The only time you can get full frame 4K on a Canon camera is on the C700 FF, all the rest of the cinema cameras are Super35 so even that is not an argument......
A Super35 sensor has roughly a 1.7x crop factor. The same as the 5D IV and the EOS R so maybe that is the reason, 'a super 35 look'.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
My 5D3 still shoots great stills...and for now, I'm mostly all still 1080 for video.

But while I wait on the sidelines to see what the "5D" equivalent of an R camera comes out.....I'm contemplating the Black Magic Design "pocket" 4K camera.

Only about $1300....and with a metabones adapter, can take my EOS lenses.

I'm still researching and may rent one, but seems to me a good video alternative....without the $$$$$ price tag of other cinema cameras, etc.

Thoughts?

cayenne
Remember that camera uses a Micro 4/3 sensor, which is 2x crop, the 5D IV and the R have a 1.7x crop, and the 1DX II has 1.3 Crop, so make sure you make the right decision.

Upvote 0
It's not the sensor technology, because the C700 FF does full frame 4K. The rest of the cinema lineup have in Super 35 sensors (with a crop factor of roughly 1.7x) so the 4K crop mimics a Super 35, simple. People need to stop saying Canon is protecting their cinema lineup because the cinema lineup has the the crop at 720p, 1080p and 4K.

Upvote 0
I have no expectations from products I have no intentions to buy.

When I do buy a 5DmkIII replacement, I'd like it to have at least uncropped 720p 24fps. I would be surprised & disappointed if Canon's replacement would regress that much.
Whatever you do don't buy a Super 35 equipped Canon cinema camera. You would get an approximate 1.7x crop across the board.

Upvote 0
Whatever you do don't buy a Super 35 equipped Canon cinema camera. You would get an approximate 1.7x crop across the board.

I'm unsure whether you're talking to me, or just being cynical.

I don't care enough about video to buy (or rent, or whatever) a Canon cinema camera. All I would care about is my lenses having the same angle of view on stills and video.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
All I would care about is my lenses having the same angle of view on stills and video.

That's not going to happen as long as 3/2 ≠ 16/9 unless you crop one or the other (the stills, I guess) to get the diagonals to be equal (or however you define the angle of view for your purposes).

Upvote 0