Canon Cinema EOS C300 Mark II Lab Test

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Patrick70 said:
Well it should be mentioned the the FS7 is claimed to have 14 stops DR as well.

And according to this test - it is just as short as Canon is.
Are some people forgetting that this camera is a year newer and double the price. A lot of people waited for this instead of getting an fs7. Canon is charging more than the competition because of brand loyalty and people that don't want to switch systems. Hopefully with the next set of cameras they will add more features and have better DR. I think I pushed my 5d3 to it's limits and I want to do more shoots in the sunlight.

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
Stu_bert said:
True it is the noise which causes them problems and his commitment, but many people were indeed hoping that this and other dSLRs would have the same tech. Commiting to something and producing something are different things. The likelihood for the Mk IV and MK II cameras to have improved sensor tech are highly unlikely and therefore a further 2-3 years before we see the fruits of this commitment.

But still, why mention 15 stops if it cant be reproduced with testing, and if there is a way to achieve it, why wouldn't you tell people how to achieve it?

I cant speak for the film industry, but clearly many photographers wait for reviews before spending that sort of cash...

As to the commitment vs availability, be aware that Canon already use on sensor A/D converters on some sensors, so lead in time for others could be short. They could release a FF on sensor A/D converter tomorrow!

Why mention 15 stops, well if you watch the "Behind The Scenes 'Trick Shot'" go to 0:51 and 1:43, they seem to know what they are doing.

Would Keslow Cameras, DP Gale Tattersall and AC Tony Gutierrez all put their reputations on the line backing up a false claim?

Who knows, like I said, I have less than zero interest in video.........

https://vimeo.com/124750682

I've now watched it thank you, and yes I agree, we have one set saying they confirmed the dynamic range, and a website stating they couldn't validate it. Just like the sites about the AF of the Sony with canon lenses which all seem to offer different views, I find it very puzzling on the inconsistency....

Hopefully in time both (Sony AF and Eos DR) will reach a satisfactory conclusion

If Canon have the ability to reduce the noise level and it is just a financial decision, then that's good. But why wouldn't you spend the extra cash on a video camera costing serious cash. You demonstrate to others that you have the tech and the price is covered in the more expensive gear. Again, something doesn't quite sit right, making me think there is something else at play. Whether we will find out, or not, just satisfies our curiosity - ultimately we care about the result, not the means...

Upvote 0
RayValdez360 said:
Patrick70 said:

Are some people forgetting that this camera is a year newer and double the price. A lot of people waited for this instead of getting an fs7. Canon is charging more than the competition because of brand loyalty and people that don't want to switch systems. Hopefully with the next set of cameras they will add more features and have better DR. I think I pushed my 5d3 to it's limits and I want to do more shoots in the sunlight.

Agreed.

Sony seems to be willing to give a lot goodies to their less-than-wealthy customers, as we see with the FS7 and FS5, whereas Canon protects their high-end cameras, as we saw with the C100 mk II vs C300 mk II. Canon appears to be more interested in breaking into the high-end cinema world and competing with Arri than serving the independents, we'll see how that goes with the C500 mk II.

I hope Canon comes out with a C100 mk III that is a real competitor to the FS5 really soon, although that doesn't seem likely since the C100 mk II is barely a year old.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Etienne said:
RayValdez360 said:
Patrick70 said:

Agreed.

Sony seems to be willing to give a lot goodies to their less-than-wealthy customers, as we see with the FS7 and FS5, whereas Canon protects their high-end cameras, as we saw with the C100 mk II vs C300 mk II. Canon appears to be more interested in breaking into the high-end cinema world and competing with Arri than serving the independents, we'll see how that goes with the C500 mk II.

I hope Canon comes out with a C100 mk III that is a real competitor to the FS5 really soon, although that doesn't seem likely since the C100 mk II is barely a year old.
They would probably make a C200 which would be the 4k version( a firmware update) of the c100mk ii with a few new or renamed buttons for $10,000 still recording in avchd lol. That is the type of company they are right now. The richer the company they stingier they are.

Upvote 0
We had a large group in attendance Saturday for our C300 MK II seminar. A few brought up the C5D article, mentioning that it was flawed in that in a DR test, there is no such thing a "usable" because that introduces a subjective element into a test. Also, there were 2 ASC menbers who said the Radiant test and Gale's test were definitive in that there is 15 stops .....period. We also saw some real world examples of how well the camera handled difficult DR situations. Needless to say, we got more orders placed right after the seminar ended. Also, I'm happy to say we were able to use a production run camera to confirm that 6400ISO(MK II) is the new 3200ISO(C100/300/500)...which means, especially for narrative & reality, you will be able to use even less lighting when you need to!

Upvote 0