Canon Cinema EOS Captures Space In 4K For New IMAX® 3D Film

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p><b>MELVILLE, N.Y., September 22, 2014</b> – Canon U.S.A. Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, is proud to announce that Canon Cinema EOS digital cameras and lenses have been selected by IMAX Corporation for an exciting mission to capture 4K footage in space. The cameras and lenses left Earth Saturday on a SpaceX Dragon spacecraft launched from the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida. The equipment will arrive at the International Space Station, where astronauts will capture stunning 4K content for the upcoming new 3D film, tentatively titled <i>A Perfect Planet</i>, a presentation of Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures and IMAX Entertainment.</p>
<p>The IMAX production team selected Canon EOS C500 EF digital cinema cameras, Canon EOS 1D-C digital SLR cameras, and a selection of Canon Cinema Zoom and Prime lenses for the project. The EOS C500s will be paired with Codex recorders to capture 4K images.Directed by acclaimed filmmaker Toni Myers, the IMAX 3D space project will offer breathtaking, illuminating views of Earth from space, exploring mankind’s future on and off the planet. Renowned large format cinematographer James Neihouse serves as the film’s director of photography and trained the astronauts who will man the cameras while in orbit.</p>
<p>“Of the digital cameras we tested for spaceflight, the Canon EOS C500’s image quality was more film-like than the other systems,” said Neihouse. “The sharpness is superior to some of the larger sensors. And it is more user-friendly for the astronauts. We have a good track record with Canon cameras in space.”</p>
<p>“I am thrilled that the Canon Cinema EOS cameras we have selected launched to the International Space Station and our astronaut crews can now begin filming spectacular scenes for our new project,” said Toni Myers, who will produce, direct, write and edit the documentary film. “The lightweight, flexible Canon cameras produce remarkable imagery and are ideal for capturing scenes of our beautiful Planet Earth.</p>
<p>“When we launched the Cinema EOS product line, Canon hoped to inspire filmmakers to take their craft to new heights. We are honored that IMAX, Toni Myers, James Neihouse, and the astronauts took our challenge so literally. To have our cameras and lenses travel to space is an incredible cause for celebration. We look forward to this awe-inspiring film and pledge to continue to engineer products worthy of the next frontier-whether here on Earth or among the stars,” said Yuichi Ishizuka, president and COO, Canon U.S.A., Inc.</p>
<p>IMAX’s 3D film will be shot over the course of the next year with multiple crews of astronauts conducting principal photography. The film is tentatively set for release in early 2016.</p>
<p>For more information about Canon Cinema EOS cameras and lenses, please visit the Canon U.S.A. website at <a class="bold_text underlink" href="http://cinemaeos.usa.canon.com/" target="_blank">http://cinemaeos.usa.canon.com/</a></p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

Everyone knows that Nasa goes with Nikon, and we have all watched and loved the beautiful timelapes by Don Pettit and other Astronauts on the ISS, shot on Nikons.

and the Radiation of space will destroy the Censors in time anyways .. so .. lets relax Canon .. Nikon still rules space..

all BS aside, I'm very excited to see this in IMAX. I remember "The Dream is Alive" from when I was a kid. I had my get me the VHS after we saw it in the Theater in Winnipeg. Space! I love it

Nikon-gear-in-space.jpg

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
PureClassA said:
Wait what? But.... but... Canon sucks! Wha.... But Sony and Nikon and Panasonic and Arri and everyone has better (insert your favorite bitchable Canon spec here) ....

Canon wanted the PR announcement to be complimenting, yet it had to make it clear the cameras' sharpness is superior to some of the larger sensors, as user friendliness to the astronauts (read: people who aren't professional camera operators, and who can spend only so many hours training with the cameras and shooting with them) took a significantly higher than usual priority. Weight wasn't mentioned by accident - weight equals rocket fuel, and rocket fuel equals money.

Don't take me wrong - I'm sure Canon cinema equipment is plenty good, but this mission has a rather different set of priorities than the average cinematographers, increasing the importance of weight and user friendliness, and decreasing the importance of IQ.

To take an extreme example - the Nikkor 6mm f/2.8 is an exceptional lens, yet useless for the average photographer.

Upvote 0
Jan 3, 2014
Antono Refa said:
PureClassA said:
Wait what? But.... but... Canon sucks! Wha.... But Sony and Nikon and Panasonic and Arri and everyone has better (insert your favorite bitchable Canon spec here) ....

Canon wanted the PR announcement to be complimenting, yet it had to make it clear the cameras' sharpness is superior to some of the larger sensors, as user friendliness to the astronauts (read: people who aren't professional camera operators, and who can spend only so many hours training with the cameras and shooting with them) took a significantly higher than usual priority. Weight wasn't mentioned by accident - weight equals rocket fuel, and rocket fuel equals money.

Don't take me wrong - I'm sure Canon cinema equipment is plenty good, but this mission has a rather different set of priorities than the average cinematographers, increasing the importance of weight and user friendliness, and decreasing the importance of IQ.

To take an extreme example - the Nikkor 6mm f/2.8 is an exceptional lens, yet useless for the average photographer.

Given that this is for IMAX I would say that the image quality has to be excellent. And just how much does it really cost to have an astronaut shoot video in space? Compared to that is NASA going to scrimp a few pennies? No, IMO NASA selected the best set of tools to get the job done.

Upvote 0
Is it standard operating procedure now for companies to put out a press release that their products are simply being used?

My guess is that the producers of the film shopped around for a company willing to partner with them. Canon is probably giving them the C500's and 1Dc's at either reduced cost or at zero cost in an attempt to beef up the Cinema Line's reputation.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Antono Refa said:
user friendliness to the astronauts (read: people who aren't professional camera operators, and who can spend only so many hours training with the cameras and shooting with them) took a significantly higher than usual priority.

WHAT!!!!! Have you ever worked with these people? These are highly motivated and highly trained people who are then going to go through specific training for the camera and will be up there floating around with a shooting schedule..... and these people are SMART! If you have an IQ of 130, they smile and nod and think "he's a bit on the slow side"....

By the time they launch they will know more about the cameras and how to use them than the Canon reps and all but the very elite of photographers.... and don't forget that out of the pool of available astronauts that there are several with fantastic portfolios of space shots.... there will undoubtedly be STARTING the training with skilled photographers....

Upvote 0
Cameron said:
Everyone knows that Nasa goes with Nikon, and we have all watched and loved the beautiful timelapes by Don Pettit and other Astronauts on the ISS, shot on Nikons.

and the Radiation of space will destroy the Censors in time anyways .. so .. lets relax Canon .. Nikon still rules space..

all BS aside, I'm very excited to see this in IMAX. I remember "The Dream is Alive" from when I was a kid. I had my get me the VHS after we saw it in the Theater in Winnipeg. Space! I love it

Nikon-gear-in-space.jpg

Winnipeg you say?

Upvote 0
CarlMillerPhoto said:
Is it standard operating procedure now for companies to put out a press release that their products are simply being used?
Yes, because stuff being used in space is just like the equipment being used anywhere else. Maybe they'll do a press release the next time I go out shooting, too ;)

Canon is in a new market and wants to get their name out there in that market. IMAX and NASA carry a lot of clout and I'm sure a lot of their target audience (filmmakers) will read this with interest.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
It's nice to hear that Canon Cinema EOS products are being used on such a "high" profile project. Couldn't resist ;-) Canon products are top notch and easy to use with probably the best "out of the box" picture quality, so no surprise they were selected by NASA.

However, as a filmmaker who frequents this site I can't just take a press release with that info as a substitute for much needed video spec bumps in the Cinema EOS and HDSLR video line.

I'll need a 4K-capable DSLR with high ISO that matches the Sony A7S or the Sony FS7 on specs and price to buy another Canon body.

No hate here, just love and wanting Canon to pull out the stops instead of worrying about cannibalizing themselves.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Nikon does not make 4K shooting DSLRs or 4K RAW shooting cinema cameras. The Canon C500 produces an image quality comparable to the highest-end cinema cameras out there (Alexa epic f55), each has its own characteristics but they are all certainly in the same league of high image quality, the Canons especially being way superior in low-ligh performance, which I predict is a main factor in their choice of the 1DC and C500, coupled with the weight and size of the cameras compared to the others.

Upvote 0
transpo1 said:
It's nice to hear that Canon Cinema EOS products are being used on such a "high" profile project. Couldn't resist ;-) Canon products are top notch and easy to use with probably the best "out of the box" picture quality, so no surprise they were selected by NASA.

However, as a filmmaker who frequents this site I can't just take a press release with that info as a substitute for much needed video spec bumps in the Cinema EOS and HDSLR video line.

I'll need a 4K-capable DSLR with high ISO that matches the Sony A7S or the Sony FS7 on specs and price to buy another Canon body.

No hate here, just love and wanting Canon to pull out the stops instead of worrying about cannibalizing themselves.
Hi,
Hmm.... 4K seem to be getting popular just a year after Canon launch the 5D3, so if Canon maintain their release schedule of high-end DSLR and release the 5D4 and 1Dx2 with 4K in the next year or so, they may found themselves behind again when suddenly 6K become popular in a year later and everyone want 6K in their camera... I think Canon don't want to follow Sony way of releasing camera model after model in such a short period of time... So if Canon want to maintain their DSLR release schedule for the high-end body and be competitive, may be, just may be, the next generation Canon DSLR will skip the 4K and go straight to 6K or even 8K.

Have a nice day.

Upvote 0
Sep 15, 2012
i am sorry but IMAX is a joke these days, what happened to the IMAX film? now they are shooting 4K on a CANON? wow then they display digital films at 2K resolution and call it the IMAX experience sorry its nothing like the 15/70 IMAX format film days. Dont get me started on the displaying 35mm films on a IMAX screen and again calling it IMAX experience when its just a upscale.

Upvote 0
The image quality of the Canon C500 is very good.

It never took off because the system is pretty limited in terms of viewfinders, frame rates etc. etc.

Also using outboard recorders is frowned upon in high end production if you don't have to.
Due to the added complexity.
A bad cable or incorrect setting or set-up can mean your footage doesn't get recorded properly.

Also it is pretty expensive for what you get.

The body is $20K.

a CODEX recorder system is around the 100K mark (although it used to be a lot more expensive a couple of years ago).

One of the fundamental factors for choosing a camera system for 3D is how narrow the body is.
If you can get the two bodies close enough together without some sort of mirror rig, you are way ahead in terms of weight and complexity.

All that said.
You don't have to use the CODEX, you can use a cheaper recorder, there are quite a few available now.
It is a good camera, just not everyone's cup of tea.

Upvote 0