Not open for further replies.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=12728"></g:plusone></div><div style="float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;"><a href="https://twitter.com/share" class="twitter-share-button" data-count="vertical" data-url="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=12728">Tweet</a></div>
<p><strong>Need some cine lenses?

</strong>B&H Photo has stock of the Canon cinema prime lens kit. It consists of the new 24mm, 50mm and 85mm lenses.</p>
<p>All 3 can be yours for $14,220!</p>
<p><strong><a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/893499-REG/Canon_EF_Cinema_Prime_Lens.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296" target="_blank">Canon cine prime lens kit at B&H Photo $14,220</a></strong></p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

May 12, 2011
Re: Canon Cinema Prime Lens Kit in Stock at B&H Photo

Renegade Runner said:
$14,220? Oh is that all? Great! :eek:

That's relatively cheap for cinema primes, Zeiss CP.2s are pretty much the same price. But then you figure Arri Master Primes are $20k-$25k PER LENS, close to $200k for a set. And the Arri's aren't an anomaly, there are plenty of other sets that cost that much.

Upvote 0

Axilrod said:
Renegade Runner said:

That's relatively cheap for cinema primes, Zeiss CP.2s are pretty much the same price. But then you figure Arri Master Primes are $20k-$25k PER LENS, close to $200k for a set. And the Arri's aren't an anomaly, there are plenty of other sets that cost that much.

Wow! Those a re crazy prices. I can buy a new car for those prices or put a payment towards a house.

Upvote 0

jlev23 said:
and the rokinons are $500 a piece, its a shame they are that expensive, bill gates will have fun with his $13000 1D-C and his $14000 prime set, which btw i guess now a "set" is only 3 lenses, sure that will do.

Rokinon however, does not offer a 50mm lens... and even if Bill Gates were still the richest man ever I don't see him having fun with an all manual set of lenses, not in this digital age where 64K is not enough!

Upvote 0

Nishi Drew said:
jlev23 said:
and the rokinons are $500 a piece, its a shame they are that expensive, bill gates will have fun with his $13000 1D-C and his $14000 prime set, which btw i guess now a "set" is only 3 lenses, sure that will do.

Rokinon however, does not offer a 50mm lens... and even if Bill Gates were still the richest man ever I don't see him having fun with an all manual set of lenses, not in this digital age where 64K is not enough!

They (Rokinon/Samyang/Bower) have a 50mm coming first half of 2013. Now all they need to release is a 100mm or 135mm lens (or both) and they will have pretty much all bases covered for the beginner shooter.

Sure they arent these lenses from Canon but they are crisp and clean and a good start compared to using std slr lenses.

Upvote 0

Renegade Runner said:
Axilrod said:
Renegade Runner said:

Wow! Those a re crazy prices. I can buy a new car for those prices or put a payment towards a house.
Welcome to photography/videography.

Upvote 0

anthony11 said:
I've never understood these "cinema" lenses. They're used for a pixel count far below that of still photography and don't have to AF, so why are they so absurdly expensive? And why do they exist at all?

Good question. I actually took a peek at the lenses to see if I could buy the 50mm for use with an EF mount. Then I saw the "Not returnable" disclaimer. That's a pretty big risk to take if you don't like the product and are buying it sight unseen.

Upvote 0

privatebydesign said:
anthony11 said:
I've never understood these "cinema" lenses. They're used for a pixel count far below that of still photography and don't have to AF, so why are they so absurdly expensive? And why do they exist at all?

Put in the context of a video shoot the cost of the lenses, that are often rented, is not significant, you have to realise these are not aimed at pro/ams, or even full time wedding videographers, they are aimed at a plentiful market segment above that, we devour video output at a frightening rate.

The point of sets is that the individual lenses are all matched to each other, that is the T stops are all very close in luminance values, much much more accurate than dialing in an aperture value as they do not account for transmission loss, if you swap lenses for a different view of the same shot then the exposures are identical, this saves a huge amount of time, and hence money, in the post production work. Also the focus distances are normally matched so focus pullers can just replicate the pull across lenses, all the marks etc on set should all work the same. Silly things like those save production time and are multiplied in value by the number of people on set, it doesn't take many set hours to pay the lens rental!
+1

So true, even just the ability to use a swing away matt box and knowing that the lens you are swapping out is the same diameter/size as the one you are putting in saves so much time. No more messing around with o-ring's and having to reset your whole rail set up (follow focus, aperture motor etc) just to get that wide shot.

Also opens up a lot more possibilities for directors and DoPs to try out more shots because of the time they save, where they normally wouldn't be able too due to time/cost restraints.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.