Canon confirms 8K capable EOS R camera in development

Jan 29, 2011
Canon was demoing 8K monitors at their last technology expo in 2015.

And yes, you can see the difference between 1080, 4K and 8K.

8K means a 50MP+ sensor.
8K needs much more CPU power which would also be available for a host of in camera stills processing operations.
Why? 8K gives an uncropped 33MP image, if they have full sensor readout they only need to use a 34MP sensor.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
Hahahahaha... How about proper 4K first Canon?
This. Canon doesnt have a single camera (not in their cine line) that shoots uncropped 4k. And they're talking 8k?

Its only in the last couple of years that they solved their 1080 video being soft (see: the existence of Magic Lantern before then)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 16, 2018
And what are you lacking sensor wise? DR? The difference between the brands is so small as to be silly. IQ? Canon again is right there. Color is noted by those in the know as definitively superior in Canon. DPAF trashes everyone else.
I doubt you or anyone else can see the difference except for color science in any photo by any sensor on the market today.
PS in DR Canon generally meets or exceeds all others as ISO climbs beyond 100.

The Sony shooters like to brag about under exposing by 4 or 5 stops and recovering a photo that would otherwise be trash. Personally I think they should just learn to become better photographers.

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0
And what are you lacking sensor wise? DR? The difference between the brands is so small as to be silly. IQ? Canon again is right there. Color is noted by those in the know as definitively superior in Canon. DPAF trashes everyone else.
I doubt you or anyone else can see the difference except for color science in any photo by any sensor on the market today.
PS in DR Canon generally meets or exceeds all others as ISO climbs beyond 100.
They appear to still be one stop behind Sony in raw DR at the low ISO end (if that is important to you -- it isn't to me) but they still don't seem to have really moved their AFE completely onto the chip which (IMO) limits their ability to get the data off the sensor in a hurry to minimize that stupid freeze frame in the VF in rapid shooting. Apparently, the Sony top of the line shoots rapidly without any freeze frame between shots. To really properly "ape" the DSLR in a fast mirrorless, they need to fix this.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Ask yourself, does Canon make a 34MP sensor?

Do they already have a 50MP sensor?

Does it make sense to design a 34MP sensor or improve the 50MP one?
It makes a lot of sense to make a 34MP sensor for the 1DX MkIII which could also be used in an 8K mirrorless...

But that wasn't my point, my point was you said "8K means a 50MP+ sensor" ,that statement is factually incorrect.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I'm sure Sony will release a 16k ff mirrorless the week Canon announces, and it will have infinite DR and cost just $1200 USD. I mean, why wouldn't they? They know what people want and they can do anything. :alien:
Wait, is that the camera HarryFilm already has on his desk? Or is it hanging from the coat hook in the cockpit of his helicopter?

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2014
8K in 3:4 ratio is 45MP. CFast cards writing speeds are, AFAIK, just shy of 400MB/s. So lets assume Canon can make a camera that shoots 45MP at 10 fps.

What would be the usage scenario? Sports photographs cropped 50% and printed to cover a wall?

The Photo Gallery/ Print shop/ Custom Framing shop where I work/ essentially live handles prints in excess of 4ft x 8ft. We regularly print/ produce 4ft x 6ft canvas wraps and have done about 80 Acrylic Facemounts from 4ft x 5ft. to 4ft. x 8ft. We were looking at doing a 4ft x 18ft but are a bit held back by material sizes.
Having extra resolution to crop an image and still be able to produce large prints is pretty amazing.

So yeah, the more pixels the better. The work is out there, just because you're not getting it.
Currently, the owner/ photographer of the gallery uses a D850, previously a D800. Personally, I prefer Canon, so I use a 5DMIV and going up to 30mp has been amazing for me. Though, the largest prints of my own work that I've made/ sold has been 24" x 36"

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Several years ago, all the manufacturers started working on 8K, its being readied for the 2020 Olympics with TV broadcasts planned. It was tried at the Korean Olympics by NHK. It will be years before its widespreaaad, 5G will support it, but that's a long way off from being available to most in the US.

CES is full of 8K TV sets this year, but until there are 8K signals, they will just be upscaling lower resolution broadcasts.

Certainly, for still photography, being able to extract a 33 MP inage from a video clip would be potentially useful for BIF photographers, and Sports photographers, but will it work at high FPS? Not likely at first.

https://www.techradar.com/news/sams...k-tv-is-more-screen-than-your-eyes-can-handle

Upvote 0
Really so where do I buy an 8K monitor or smart TV to watch the video from this camera. Being a 100% still shooter I wish they would make investments in better sensors than this Niche stuff.

there are already 8K tvs on the market. have been for a year. they are still extremely expensive and there is almost zero content but it is coming.

Upvote 0
Thanks for linking the interview -- it was very informative.

Some food for thought:
  1. Based on CanonRumors posts, I had assumed that pro-level meant something like a mirrorless version of the 5DS. However, the interview states that "pro-level" is "no excuses levels of performance" including AF as good as the 1DX. I had never thought of the pro-level R to be more like the 1D series rather than the 5D series... so now I'm wondering what the MP count will be... Will this truly be a merging of the 1D line. High resolution and superior AF and framerate?
  2. It is interesting that Canon stated that mirrorless is not revolutionary from DSLR just because it is mirrorless. They point to using DSLRs in live view mode and that what will allow the R system to reach its full potential is the new mount. I'd love to hear what advantages the R mount will have over Sony's FE mount besides relieving the physical limits. How can Canon leverage the RF mount to showcase technologies like the EF vs. Nikon's F mount. How can the increased bandwidth between lens and body be leveraged?
  3. It is good to hear that Canon is committed to the R system. It is also notable that a lot of thought had been put into the system parameters and lens design. We're seeing the benefits of the lenses (nano USM, 28-70 f/2, 50 f/1.2), but need to wait for the pro R to get a more complete view of its potential.
  4. Canon is working on 8K. Canon was late to the 4K party, but should be a lot more timely on 8K. Many think that because Canon 4K is not as good as the competition that the same will be true of 8K because the development is sequential. My sense from the interview is that 4K and 8K might not be as sequential as previously thought, and being behind on 4K might not portend being late/behind forever.
  5. Canon keeps on pointing out the "features" of its adapters but I see them more as stop gap measures. Once the RF f/2.8 zooms are out and assuming they are superior to their EF counterparts, then who will buy EF lenses to adapt onto R bodies just to use a drop in filter? Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of having only 1 polarizer or 1 set of ND filters, but it's not natively part of the RF system. We'll be back to the front filter systems (i.e. Lee).

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
Really so where do I buy an 8K monitor or smart TV to watch the video from this camera. Being a 100% still shooter I wish they would make investments in better sensors than this Niche stuff.
Oversampling will provide cleaner & better colour gamut on 8K resized to 4K just as its doing in Cinema cameras today.

Upvote 0