Canon confirms 8K capable EOS R camera in development

That's a good point, just like with the 4K on their cinema cameras. It's the reason the 5D Mark III can record a variation of 3.5K RAW. There'd still be a big hurdle on the encoder they use and the sensor readout speed.
Yes. It's a tremendous amount of data to read off the sensor and write through the I/O. But, IMO, the empasis should be on the camera being a capture and recording device not a device for image processing. Processing can be down downstream on a device more suited to that job.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
The Sony shooters like to brag about under exposing by 4 or 5 stops and recovering a photo that would otherwise be trash. Personally I think they should just learn to become better photographers.

They don't know what they are doing thus need to be saved from their incompetence in understanding exposure.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
No matter what Canon announces, the whining about their (excellent) sensors will never stop.
And nobody complains about the poor Sony colors....
Spec -sheets seem to be all that matters.

Perhaps Sony users are color blind so it is not important.
I was asked by a Sony user to look at a photo and it was actually horrid IMHO.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
@jayphotoworks and @crazyrunner33, thanks for correcting my misunderstanding of the effects of a high shutter speed during video capture on the usability of the resulting video footage. The example was particularly helpful. The choppiness at ‘action-stopping’ shutter speeds of 1/2000 and up is noticeable, but not really all that bad – and for some action shooting might even convey a desirable ‘edginess’ to the footage.
I'm not big into video but have done a little. Personally I find the 'edginess' when using a 'too fast' shutter speed actually emulates the micro contrast/clarity I get from good quality 4k footage.

I find ND filter use to get the 'preferred' slower shutter speeds and 'cinematic look' to be less pleasing.

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
I would be interested in why you assume that a sensor that can do 8K video take better stills? I'm curious.
Well I believe an 8K capable camera refers to the resolution of the sensor. So a camera capable of "8K" has more to do with the resolution/form-factor of the sensor. I am assuming a FF (35mm) sensor and not a Medium format sensor or something like the 72mm format...

If it is 8K packed into a FF 35mm sensor then this would indicate resolution "out of this world" - think EOS 5DS-r on steroids - I would guess in the 80-120MP range. But I'm not really a technical guy - just using a "WAG" here...

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Well I believe an 8K capable camera refers to the resolution of the sensor. So a camera capable of "8K" has more to do with the resolution/form-factor of the sensor. I am assuming a FF (35mm) sensor and not a Medium format sensor or something like the 72mm format...

If it is 8K packed into a FF 35mm sensor then this would indicate resolution "out of this world" - think EOS 5DS-r on steroids - I would guess in the 80-120MP range. But I'm not really a technical guy - just using a "WAG" here...
This was discussed above. 8K is 7680×4320, which is 33 MP. Those dimensions taken from a 3:2 aspect ratio sensor would require 7680x5120, which is 39 MP. In other words, the 5Ds/R sensors are already fully capable of delivering 8K video from a resolution standpoint, no steroids required.

Upvote 0
This was discussed above. 8K is 7680×4320, which is 33 MP. Those dimensions taken from a 3:2 aspect ratio sensor would require 7680x5120, which is 39 MP. In other words, the 5Ds/R sensors are already fully capable of delivering 8K video from a resolution standpoint, no steroids required.

What if that's the big firmware update..... What.. a guy can dream right?

Upvote 0
Really so where do I buy an 8K monitor or smart TV to watch the video from this camera. Being a 100% still shooter I wish they would make investments in better sensors than this Niche stuff.

Canon long ago decided stills & video would be co-developed for the foreseeable future. Japan is already broadcasting TV in 8K: https://www.engadget.com/2018/12/01/8k-japan-tv/. So one would assume that 8K TV are already available there and just over the horizon everywhere else. Given the development cycle it would be kind of shocking if 8K video was not being worked on.

John

Upvote 0
Several years ago, all the manufacturers started working on 8K, its being readied for the 2020 Olympics with TV broadcasts planned. It was tried at the Korean Olympics by NHK. It will be years before its widespreaaad, 5G will support it, but that's a long way off from being available to most in the US.

CES is full of 8K TV sets this year, but until there are 8K signals, they will just be upscaling lower resolution broadcasts.

Certainly, for still photography, being able to extract a 33 MP inage from a video clip would be potentially useful for BIF photographers, and Sports photographers, but will it work at high FPS? Not likely at first.

https://www.techradar.com/news/sams...k-tv-is-more-screen-than-your-eyes-can-handle

The BBC was using 8K video in the 2012 London Olympics: https://www.engadget.com/2012/07/31/super-hi-vision-eyes-on/

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
The BBC was using 8K video in the 2012 London Olympics: https://www.engadget.com/2012/07/31/super-hi-vision-eyes-on/
It was not broadcast to TV sets of subscribers, just to a special Room with a 8K projector.

The Korean Olympics was broadcast by satellite to theaters with 8k Projectors so it was just a larger demo. It was also available down sampled to 4k for regular broadcasters.

http://informitv.com/2018/02/25/winter-olympics-8k-coverage/

The 2020 Olympics will be a bigger demo yet, the plan is to actually broadcast in 8K, and to sell 8K TV sets for viewers.
http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20181207000442

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I think the confusion is whether the intended deliverable aims to achieve a cinematic look. The video won't suddenly become unusable if you commit to a faster shutter speed, it simply won't appear as cinematic if you were to shoot at 24fps with a 180 degree shutter angle (1/48). There are a few examples of cinema utilizing fast shutter speeds. It isn't a hard and fast rule that you have to commit to a 180 degree shutter rule. Saving Private Ryan used a 45 degree shutter angle (1/198) and Mad Max went even higher in certain action sequences.

Here is an example of various shutter speeds and the impact on the video:

If I didn't mind breaking this "rule," I could definitely capture fast action in video using a fast shutter speed and also be able to extract crisp stills from the video stream. I think it is simply a matter of understanding the impact of each decision and whether that approach will suit your intended need.
I watched this on a phone screen, and all the changes made no difference. I just watched it again on a large 4K monitor and yes, you can definitely see how the higher shutter speeds make it more jittery, but to be honest the difference is not a big as I thought it would be. If you kept the shutter speed in the lower half of the range that was shown, I doubt that most people would pick up on it unless they knew beforehand to look for it.

Thank you for posting this! Very interesting!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2014
You're talking pixels, I was asking about pixels and high fps.
I'm talking about photography, which at times requires high FPS and High pixels. I'm a nature shooter, which means birds and other sometimes fast moving animals. So the more FPS, the merrier.
It's not always one or the other, but if you could combine both in one body, that'd be great.

Upvote 0
8k video in the near future won't be a surprise. And it won't be due to a revolution in sensor architecture, but rather an evolution to video codecs. The new H.265 and MPEG-H formats are delivering identical quality to that of H.264 and MPEG-4 at half the bit rate. So 8k@30fps, 4k@120fps, and 1080p@240fps should become fairly common place among high resolution cameras with all the recent efficiency improvements made to image sensor processors.

But even with the massive improvements to compression and quality with H.265, that's still going to be a ton of data when recording at those resolutions and frame rates. So hopefully we'll start seeing the new SD Express and CF Express card slots appearing in higher end EOS R cameras.

===

Been There! Done That!

CODECS are NOW a DONE DEAL !!!! .... as you shall soon see ....

The issue NOW is ADC (Analog-to-Digital Converter) sample rate (over 100 megabytes per 8192 x 6144 pixel video frame if you sample at 16 bits per RGB plus Alpha or Distance channel which is 6+ Gigabytes per second bandwidth at 60 fps frame rates) plus overall available CPU/GPU/VRAM/Flash Drive bandwidth issues!

Nowadays, I can get TWO of the four-core, six-core or even 8-core 1.5 GHz Snapdragon 845-like Steve Austin processors which have a bandwidth for each chip that allows it to do an aggregated bandwidth of twin-stream 30+ megapixel images (which is about 7000x4500+ pixels each) at 60 fps. When I put TWO of the SOC's attached to a high-speed SHARED 150 frame buffer (5 seconds), there is enough time to do some FAST 16 milliseconds-and-less-level interleaving and CPU/GPU chaining-together such that I DEFINITELY CAN, on a hardware-engineering basis, do DCI 8k (8192 x 4320 pixels) video recording at a FULL 60 fps OR do 240 fps DCI 4k (4096 x 2160 pixels) !!!

I KNOW IT CAN BE DONE .... BECAUSE IT ALREADY HAS BEEN DONE !!!!!!

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Really so where do I buy an 8K monitor or smart TV to watch the video from this camera. Being a 100% still shooter I wish they would make investments in better sensors than this Niche stuff.

It wasn't that long ago that people were complaining that there was nothing to play back 4K video on. 8K will be here sooner than you think.

I am 100% a still shooter, but I'm glad that Canon are working on 8K because the technical challenges that are needed to produce sensors capable of doing this will also provide us still shooters with sensors with faster readout, probably some kind of useable global shutter, and high resolution. All of these things that would not necessarily be economically viable to do just for us stills shooters because although those things are nice, they're not critical for us.

Also, I think a much larger number of people are doing video with their cameras than you think. The niche you talk about may soon be us still photographers.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0