Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p><strong>*UPDATE*

</strong>jmfoots; a contributor on our forum has done a “quick and dirty, hand translation” of the interview question below.<strong>

</strong></p>
<p><strong>From Maeda Masaya</strong><em>

“We are currently making efforts toward high-resolution cameras. User needs are broadly divided into the two areas of high-resolution and high-sensitivity. Canon has been progressing the high-sensitivity side more, but we feel that we also must respond to graphics-related users (hoping for high resolution) and increase resolution numbers.</em></p>
<p>We are thinking of a high-resolution camera for users wanting high resolving power, and it will be out soon. It will be a camera preserving pixel quality while boosting resolution figures. We are extending interchangeable lens groups (unsure what this actually means). We want to add one line to our EF lenses…I can’t say any more than this. Please don’t ask anymore (laughs).”</p>
<p><strong>Original Post</strong>

In an interview with Digital Camera Watch, Canon Inc. Senior Managing Director Image Communication Business Division Maeda Masaya confirms the development of a high megapixel camera. <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/12/high-megapixel-camera-coming-in-2015-cr3/" target="_blank">A camera we confirmed would be coming in 2015</a>, although we don’t know exactly when it will arrive.</p>
<p><em>Below is a Google translation of the confirmation from Maeda Masaya.</em></p>
<p><em><strong>Q: Image sensor or will toward the size and high pixel size?</strong></em>

<em> A: I am working in the high pixel camera. There are two ways of roughly divided into high pixel and high sensitivity to user needs. Although Canon was not preceded the high sensitivity system and say either, I think the future is to be going to move (overlooking the high pixel) In order to meet such as graphics-based user, also in the direction in which to go up the number of pixels.</em></p>
<p><em>High pixel camera towards users who want high image of the resolution will not believe, you soon out. This is the camera, such as was up the number of pixels while maintaining the pixel quality. Interchangeable lens I will expand as a “group”. The …… now that I want to add a new one line to EF lens any more does not say, please do not ask any more (laughs).</em></p>
<p><strong>Other tidbits from the interview</strong></p>
<ul>
<li>The days of the annual product cycle are over, new models will come with big advancements in technology</li>
<li>A “new line” of EF lenses is on the way.</li>
<li>Canon believes lenses are the most important part of EOS</li>
<li>We will see electronic shutters soon.</li>
<li>There’s “no comment” on a full frame mirrorless (probably a good thing) and Canon is still interested in medium format.</li>
</ul>
<p><strong>Source: [<a href="http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/special/dcm_int_2014/20141224_681230.html" target="_blank">DCW</a>]</strong></p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

Feb 12, 2014
Canon Rumors said:
A: I am working in the high pixel camera. There are two ways of roughly divided into high pixel and high sensitivity to user needs. Although Canon was not preceded the high sensitivity system and say either, I think the future is to be going to move (overlooking the high pixel) In order to meet such as graphics-based user, also in the direction in which to go up the number of pixels.</p>
<p>High pixel camera towards users who want high image of the resolution will not believe, you soon out. This is the camera, such as was up the number of pixels while maintaining the pixel quality. Interchangeable lens I will expand as a “group”. The …… now that I want to add a new one line to EF lens any more does not say, please do not ask any more (laughs

Lol....confirms what we have always suspected :)

Upvote 0
A somewhat more accurate, if quick and dirty, hand translation:

We are currently making efforts toward high-resolution cameras. User needs are broadly divided into the two areas of high-resolution and high-sensitivity. Canon has been progressing the high-sensitivity side more, but we feel that we also must respond to graphics-related users (hoping for high resolution) and increase resolution numbers.

We are thinking of a high-resolution camera for users wanting high resolving power, and it will be out soon. It will be a camera preserving pixel quality while boosting resolution figures. We are extending interchangeable lens groups (unsure what this actually means). We want to add one line to our EF lenses...I can't say any more than this. Please don't ask anymore (laughs).

I'm on vacation from my translation job, figure I'll keep sharp.

Upvote 0

lintoni

Good grief!
Mar 18, 2012
jmfoots said:

We are currently making efforts toward high-resolution cameras. User needs are broadly divided into the two areas of high-resolution and high-sensitivity. Canon has been progressing the high-sensitivity side more, but we feel that we also must respond to graphics-related users (hoping for high resolution) and increase resolution numbers.

We are thinking of a high-resolution camera for users wanting high resolving power, and it will be out soon. It will be a camera preserving pixel quality while boosting resolution figures. We are extending interchangeable lens groups (unsure what this actually means). We want to add one line to our EF lenses...I can't say any more than this. Please don't ask anymore (laughs).

Thanks, and welcome to Canon Rumors!

A new line of EF lenses? Intriguing...

Upvote 0
lintoni said:
jmfoots said:

Thanks, and welcome to Canon Rumors!

A new line of EF lenses? Intriguing...

No problem, and thanks - I actually just registered because I hate Google Translate and like good translations, I doubt you'll see me much around here until CP+ when I post a few things I get from speaking to Canon people here in Yokohama.

And it does seem like he does want to add a new line. I can't really elaborate on whether that refers to a new classification (normal vs. L lens) or a different kind of zoom or even something beyond crazy stuff like T/S, but it sounds interesting.

Upvote 0
I like the bit about new bodies/lenses coming out as technology progresses, rather than annual releases. Makes a lot more sense, especially since big technological changes are coming either slower, or in bunches. Although, I imagine they'll still have an annual consumer line of stuff, since that still seems to be the thing with all of the manufacturers.

Upvote 0
The new line of lenses will probably be a total refresh of the lower end lenses, not the newest "L" lenses. The marginal IQ lenses are the ones whose flaws would be amplified most glaringly by the higher resolution sensors.

They will still have to have lower-cost lenses to offer the lower price point customers, but the higher res cameras will force them to give better IQ optics, just to make them work acceptably. Hopefully that means the prices won't be/can't be priced drastically higher.

Upvote 0
ScottyP said:
The new line of lenses will probably be a total refresh of the lower end lenses, not the newest "L" lenses.

They've already started doing that with the STM lenses. If it's something he doesn't want to talk about, after having spilled about the high MP body, it's something fundamentally different. What would be different enough to warrant a new "line?" MF? FF mirrorless?

Upvote 0

Eagle Eye

Recovering Full-Framer
CR Pro
Jul 5, 2011
Virginia
I could also see Canon rolling out an upper line of prime L's, 82mm filters and increasing from there, maybe up to 105mm. These would have the resolving power and frame coverage to handle a sensor resolution and sensor size push into medium format, 30x45 or something. Canon would essentially be redefining "pro" glass in their non-tele line-up and be able to charge $5-10K for it. Pro sports photographers are already throwing that kind of money down. High-end wedding photographers would certainly be able to afford glass like that. And I could be wrong about the science of the mount, but my understanding is that Canon shifted from FD to EF precisely for future capability enhancements. This would potentially put Nikon in a place where to compete on the lens front, they'd have to develop a new mount system that would not be backwards compatible. Anyone know more about the FD to EF switch?

Upvote 0
Great news .. of course not for all shooters, but being a landscape guy, and wanting to print and frame my images LARGE ... then this is what I want.
I am about to buy a second hand Phase One kit, only a P45+ back and 645DF+ body though with Schneider lens. I know the importance of using good glass when you step up into higher MP class .... I'll also be looking at high quality (very expensive) Rodenstock lenses to then use with a technical camera body.
I know they cost a ship load of money, but I know if I want high IQ, then that comes with the territory.
There is NO point having a high MP body with out a high quality lens to resolve that detail.
So IMO I see, or would like to see, Canon's new range of lenses to be complimentary to the high MP body ...
No use putting out a body without the lenses to make use of it .. so I see Canon as doing the right thing down this line, holding off and not putting out a high MP body just for the sake of it without the back up of a decent lens line.

Upvote 0
Orangutan said:
JC said:
I decided to go with Nikon...at least there is something there worth having

In what sense? What, specifically, is inadequate for your needs about the 5D3?

I'm too planing on jumping the ship, the only thing that fends me off is the megapixel count, the reason I'm switching its because they habe a more flexible RAW file in terms of dybamic range and shadow banding as I'm a landscape photographer, and of course the detail that brings a non-existent low pass filter

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
It has begun.

My bet is that the new "EF" line is going to be similar to the "Otus" and Sigma "Art" lenses, which sounds like the best thing to release alongside a high resolution body.
Starting with 50mm? Maybe we can finally get a new 135mm?

I see potential for Canon to refresh lenses they wouldn't have otherwise with a new branding and higher price tag.

Upvote 0
JC said:
Who cares? Not me that's for sure... "not sure when but sometime in 2015", sorry, life is not never ending, I waited a long time and had hoped for the 5D Mark IV to be announced at Photokina, yet nothing and then in NYC in October, again, nothing.

I decided to go with Nikon and although I think they are putting products out too fast, at least there is something there worth having, there was no way I was about to drop almost 2k on a 5D Mark lll and I just got tired of waiting, sorry Canon, some indicator of when would have been nice but at this point, all there is as usual are rumours, meanwhile, I need a camera to actually get on with taking photos.

Flaming post removed by Admin

Upvote 0