Canon confirms that the EOS R5 is the 5D series equivalent for mirrorless

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi.
Are you saying that the RF lenses focus faster than EF lenses, have you tried a 1 Series body, or have you just conveniently overlooked the Canon EF 50MM f/1.0 L USM, World's Fastest SLR Lens, World's Fastest AF Lens, World's Fastest DSLR Lens. At least until recently when Nikon launched Nikon Z 58mm f/0.95 NOCT, a manual focus lens launched some 30 years after canons f/1.0!
Lensrentals hands on review.

Cheers, Graham.

The new RF mount does allow for faster lenses that weren't possible with EF.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
I don't care if people use EF or RF. Some people seem offended if I suggest that EF mount will be phased out. I am merely giving reasons why I think this is the case and I am fine if they disagree. That is what forums are for! As long as we debate in a respectful way what is the harm?

If you had said that you think that the EF lenses will be phased out, I would not have responded to that. Instead you said, "The EF line lasted over thirty years and is being phased out for the next generation line of lenses just as the FD line was phased out in favour of EF."

In other words, you said that "EF is being phased out" as if it were a statement of fact. Many readers would no doubt take it as such thinking you had either read or heard that it is indeed fact.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Hi.
Are you saying that the RF lenses focus faster than EF lenses, have you tried a 1 Series body, or have you just conveniently overlooked the Canon EF 50MM f/1.0 L USM, World's Fastest SLR Lens, World's Fastest AF Lens, World's Fastest DSLR Lens. At least until recently when Nikon launched Nikon Z 58mm f/0.95 NOCT, a manual focus lens launched some 30 years after canons f/1.0!
Lensrentals hands on review.

Cheers, Graham.

I am not talking about focus speed. I am talking about aperture. Perhaps a semantic difference between countries.

Upvote 0
1: And Olympus and Nikon...

5: The 1DX III is as silent as any MILC.

I agree with your last point about OVF's, I also find EVF's weird in dim venues as it is too much of a contrast from what I actually see, maybe it's because I normally shoot with both eyes open and my brain just can't handle the two very different brightness levels, but I have tried and I just don't get on with EVF's in their current iteration.
Haven't used the 1D
Hi Normalnorm.
And Nikon has AF adjustment on their Z for....

Cheers, Graham.
So... is that a win or an admission of failure?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
So you picked up on my single comment on AF and missed the bits and the links about the 50mm f/1.0 aperture as yet unmatched in the RF mount system (which allows faster lenses) which currently tops out at f/1.2, i.e. slower than the fastest EF lens by 1/2 or 2/3rds, depending on if you chose to read half or third stop charts!

Cheers, Graham.

I am not talking about focus speed. I am talking about aperture. Perhaps a semantic difference between countries.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019

I admit I have to stop a lot of times when someone talks about a fast lens and remind myself he's not talking about how quick it is to zoom or focus or anything like that! It was an unambiguous term back when autofocus didn't exist, but now I wish people had called it "bright" instead of "fast" because "fast" would be a better word for quickness of autofocus than it is for focal ratio (where it describes an effect--and by no means the only important effect--of a high focal ratio).

But English is what it is, and "fast" it will be when it opens really wide.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
I admit I have to stop a lot of times when someone talks about a fast lens and remind myself he's not talking about how quick it is to zoom or focus or anything like that! It was an unambiguous term back when autofocus didn't exist, but now I wish people had called it "bright" instead of "fast" because "fast" would be a better word for quickness of autofocus than it is for focal ratio (where it describes an effect--and by no means the only important effect--of a high focal ratio).

But English is what it is, and "fast" it will be when it opens really wide.
I've always thought that a lens with a wide max aperture was called fast because the wider aperture allowed faster shutter speeds. But that's just my guess.

Upvote 0
I was totally stumped aswell. All of the reviews I had read about the lenses praised their auto focus. Glad to hear yours have been working perfectly. I never would have felt the need to buy the R if I had a similar experience.

Agreed, I may have just been unlucky with the body. It was sent back and forth to Canon at least 5 times for calibration but it never improved. All of my testing was in good lighting with no focus and recompose. My 5D mark iii performed signifcantly better as did my EOS R. So there wasn't much doubt.

Do you mean the EF 50mm 1.2L? I have heard that lens is a bit hit and miss with focusing. My RF 50mm 1.2L has been totally fine so far.

Cheers!
Yes - I meant the EF 50mm F1.2L. There are many reports that the focussing on this lens is not always perfect, and it took me 3 attempts to find a copy I was happy with.
So far I have continued to use my 5D mark 3 and mark 4. The EOS R seems like a backward step to me, but maybe the much talked about R5 will finally convince me to buy a mirrorless camera giving me access to some of the interesting RF lenses that are already available.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I've always thought that a lens with a wide max aperture was called fast because the wider aperture allowed faster shutter speeds. But that's just my guess.

That's exactly where it did come from. And it made sense at the time because there was no other conceivable meaning for the word "fast" when it comes to lenses. Now there is, and I think those alternate possible meanings are more intuitive...but they're precluded because "fast" still means this--a reference to the effect of the lens on the shutter speed, not something in the lens itself.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
I have an EOS R. Most of the time I really like it. This past week I have been out shooting birds. The EVF is really dark in the bright sunlight, the auto focus is slow and the EVF has a lag. The R5 I'm guessing will correct 2 of the 3 problems but any word on them upgrading the EVF?

The first thing I have done with every mirrorless camera that I have owned, is to set the EVF display to the brightest setting, which has always done a good job in making the EVF match outdoor conditions pretty well. That would be my recommendation. If you have never changed the display brightness setting, be aware that the setting in the menu will change either the viewfinder or the back display depending on which you are looking through (or at). In other words, you need to be looking through the EVF to change the settings for the EVF.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The first thing I have done with every mirrorless camera that I have owned, is to set the EVF display to the brightest setting, which has always done a good job in making the EVF match outdoor conditions pretty well. That would be my recommendation. If you have never changed the display brightness setting, be aware that the setting in the menu will change either the viewfinder or the back display depending on which you are looking through (or at). In other words, you need to be looking through the EVF to change the settings for the EVF.
I changed both setting described in the digital manual on page 378. Tried both looking through the EVF while checking the settings and looking at the screen in back. Both were the same.

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
I had the same issue when I started using the EOS R and as you did, I adjusted the settings and they are not perfect but are much better.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
I hope it too...
Nothing beats a DSLR's viewfinder,

I agree with you, though technology; diopter adjustment, LCD overlays etc have distracted from the purity of a DSLR's viewfinder. Look through a SLR's viewfinder that had a genuine ground glass screen and nothing else - for instance my Pentax 67, and the experience is in a difference league to what we have now.

Upvote 0