Canon confirms that the EOS R5 is the 5D series equivalent for mirrorless

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I would expect so. I would love to have as many choices as possible - DSLR and mirrorless. I am trying to read the tea leaves as best as possible and believe that EF is being phased out and am planning accordingly.

Having 2 different lens mount lines in the late 80s was clearly not an option back then, it would be even less an option now.
Todays EF-RF ecosystem works together and very well I might add. This was not the experience with EOS and EF coming out.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
I shoot wildlife and I am curious to see how the OVF of the R5 stand up in field shooting (assuming it has the same weather resistance as the 5dIV). From what I am seeing so far, I am willing to replace my EF 24-70 f2.8 L II and 100-400 II assuming the 100-500 is f5.6 @ 400mm.

With the high fps rates talked about for the R5 and R6, I am wondering whether Canon is thinking that spray and pray bursts are part of the answer to EVF latency. Not elegant but....

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Yeah that's a bit confusing, it's not that much lower than the 5Ds.....I'm wondering if the R5 is going to be closer to 40 when we finally see it. Not everyone can use or wants that many pixels...

There's a lower limit; whatever the resolution is, it must be high enough to support 8K video or it won't meet that part of the spec.

Upvote 0
I would not be surprised to see Canon announce both the R5 and the 5DV at the same time. True it would be unusual for Canon to announce two bodies at once, but in this case it makes sense since they are looking more and more like different models of the same camera. Of course it would depend on how many features they share, but if they are essentially identical in major specs and retail for roughly the same price at introduction, it would make sense.
There was some speculation that, like when announced/released the 90D and M6 MkII at the same time, they would do exactly this—a 5D MkV along with the R5. I would argue that if they want really give the RF mount a kick in the pants, they shouldn't do this.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012

This is directly from Canon, maybe this will stop the BS about abandoning DSLRs.

Well, they *did* give you a new DSLR...the new 1DX.....

Not sure if I'd lay money down on any major new ones. Maybe 1..I dunno. I'm guessing if nothing else, they may keep the 5D4 our longer and possibly do an improvement tweak or two on that, but IMHO...I don't see them putting out a lot of money on DSLRs going forward.

They said the EF lenses aren't going away...to me, means production will keep going as long at there's viable demand for them. But at some point, they're likely going all mirrorless at which point soon after....they'll likely slow and top EF production.

If nothing else, I don't see them pouring much $$ or effort into new EF technology....I believe that is going to be reserved for RF.

I think DSLRs will be available for a few years to come, but I don't see a lot of effort into upgrades to the existing lines....

Just my $0.02,

C

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
There was some speculation that, like when announced/released the 90D and M6 MkII at the same time, they would do exactly this—a 5D MkV along with the R5. I would argue that if they want really give the RF mount a kick in the pants, they shouldn't do this.
Yeah, that's very possible, although one reason they may be hyping the R5 so much now is so that if they do a joint announcement, both cameras will get a lot of attention. I think we are in new territory as far as Camera announcements go, so we just have to wait and see what Canon does.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011

This is directly from Canon, maybe this will stop the BS about abandoning DSLRs.

Interesting, thanks for sharing.

I was out with the RP on a spring shoot and got frustrated with the camera at one point because the AF point was locking onto a distant house rather than the branch right in front of the camera. Never had that type of issue with the 5D or similar DSLR...

The DSLR is still more versatile when it comes to AF. However, I'm willing to give the edge to MILC when it comes to AF consistency...

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
In that case you may wish to set your sights on the R6 rather than the R5....

HTH

But for many people, the R6 is just too low, it's actually fewer pixels than the model it appears to be set up as a successor to.

Personally, I'd be all over a 35-40 MP camera with about half of the features of the R5, but the R6 won't give me that, so I'll probably end up going overkill and getting the R5. I don't mind overkill; sometimes I grow into it--but the price delta might be HUGE.

Well, they *did* give you a new DSLR...the new 1DX.....

Not sure if I'd lay money down on any major new ones. Maybe 1..I dunno. I'm guessing if nothing else, they may keep the 5D4 our longer and possibly do an improvement tweak or two on that, but IMHO...I don't see them putting out a lot of money on DSLRs going forward.

They said the EF lenses aren't going away...to me, means production will keep going as long at there's viable demand for them. But at some point, they're likely going all mirrorless at which point soon after....they'll likely slow and top EF production.

If nothing else, I don't see them pouring much $$ or effort into new EF technology....I believe that is going to be reserved for RF.

I think DSLRs will be available for a few years to come, but I don't see a lot of effort into upgrades to the existing lines....

Just my $0.02,

C

This sounds about right. Continue to market and support...but not develop. At least not until they've put out more RF stuff and even then only if they see significant demand. (And I'd expect them to leverage an existing other product where possible.)

Upvote 0
I
I think it will depend more on supply chain issues, rather than the postponement of any major events. The 5 series has never been an action camera. Much more popular with event and wedding photographers, as well as all around users. The Canon executive in the interview seemed to indicate that the announcements would not be delayed, but that interview was probably done before the recent global meltdown of the past week or so. Yeah, I agree they may delay the announcement, but I don't think the Olympics will have anything to do with it.
I'm relatively new to this forum and an owner of a 5D3. I deliberately skipped the 5D4 preferring to save the $ and wait for the next generation, which is nearly here and obviously a quantum leap. I'm intrigued with the 5R especially given the FPS (among other things) since I shoot a high percentage of action shots.

I am wondering about your comment about the 5 series never being an action camera. Can you please expound further?

Also please explain the advantages of the 5D series and R series that each possess over the other (other than the size and other obvious features). Since Canon is going to keep the 5D line going, your comment makes me wonder I should cool my jets on the 5R and wait for the 5D5. I appreciate your help with my due diligence.

Upvote 0
I would not be surprised to see Canon announce both the R5 and the 5DV at the same time. True it would be unusual for Canon to announce two bodies at once, but in this case it makes sense since they are looking more and more like different models of the same camera. Of course it would depend on how many features they share, but if they are essentially identical in major specs and retail for roughly the same price at introduction, it would make sense.
I just hope that they will make a 5D-V that will have similar features as well. Although it seems that the R system is taking over.
I agree think the 5D series is dead.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I don't believe there will ever be a 5D Mark V. First it was just a contraction in the camera market. Now the world economy is melting down on top of that. Canon has even tougher choices to make going forward. People will blame Canon, and say Canon has been lying, but these coming choices are now being forced and the changes at Canon are going to come at a much faster pace to deal with the evaporation of revenue that is happening. Companies with already tiny market share are going to pass away soon. Say goodbye to Pentax, Olympus, and a few others in the next year.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
With the high fps rates talked about for the R5 and R6, I am wondering whether Canon is thinking that spray and pray bursts are part of the answer to EVF latency. Not elegant but....
or maybe they improved the EVF.. I haven't seen much commentary anywhere on it. The R was ok.. not something I'd jump at, but ok.. and that was rushed.

Upvote 0
I agree think the 5D series is dead.
Let's hope together!

This

and this

still gives me some hope.

As for the (not so well) performance of the EVF I am still in the market for a 5D Mark V. Not yet willing to jump system and do all the invest again.
Though the rest of the R system is very interesting...
What would you to have to invest in again? You're just looking at camera vs. camera. If you have EF lenses the you love they work seamlessly on the R series cameras at least with the current releases and I can't see that changing.
I would be very surprised to even see a 5DV. But let's say we did, I would be even more surprised they wouldn't release them both at the same time. The R5 would be released first for Canon would love for all of its EF lens users to move over to the RF mount and they can't do that if they offer both at the same time. But with an R5 (or R6 or R whatever) Canon can sell you a camera now that allows any 5D, 6D or 7D series user to be able to use their existing glass with the added potential of eventually having them move to the new RF mount. If they came out with a 5DV at the same time they can only sell you a camera.

Upvote 0
I would say that in an expanding camera market, there would be room for both DSLR and mirrorless. However, in a rapidly shrinking market it makes little sense to continue to support two different FF lens lines - they need to consolidate to RF so they can amortize RF development costs over as many lens sales as possible.

This won't happen if they continue to pump out new EF mount bodies. So that is why I see the 1dx3 as Canon's DSLR swan song.
Totally agree

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020

I would find this very unlikely. If they come out together, almost no one will buy both. If they release the R5 this year, some folks waiting for the 5DV will probably buy it, preferring not to wait to see when (and if) there is a 5DV. If they then do release the 5Dv a year later, I am sure that some folks who bought the R5 will then also buy the 5DV. Perhaps not many, but some double buys.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
What limitation? Mirrorless and DSLR are different formats. Each has it's strength and weaknesses. We have yet to see a mirrorless camera that can do everything a DSLR does, just as we have yet to see a DSLR that does everything a mirrorless does. Judging by other comments on this very thread, there remains lots of demand for a 5D V.

As far as the lens mount goes, Canon has repeatedly said the EF mount isn't going away. They have paused development of new lenses to concentrate on the RF mount, but a pause is just that, a pause. And, given the robust selection of EF lenses already available, there aren't a lot of holes in the lineup anyway.
Of couse not going away. However the EF team isnt going to get the full R&D money that the EOS system is.

Upvote 0