Canon confirms that the EOS R5 is the 5D series equivalent for mirrorless

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
I think I just found the answer that I was looking for. The article from the pro photographers in Europe (which I had not seen when I sent my inquiry) fully explained the advantage of the DSLR focusing capability and the real-time action vs. the slightly delayed action of the R viewfinder. The only problem is that the article is not really comparing apples to apples. The EOS 1 series is clearly loaded up for a pro sports photographer...which neither the R series nor 5D5 series are geared towards.

Although the same argument about the mirror advantage is still applicable to the 5D series, the fair apples to apples test will be the specs 5D5 vs. the 5R...neither of which are on the market yet. I suspect that, similar to the 5D4 and R, the specs on the new versions will be very similar. And the lag time on the 5R viewfinder will be tightened to be closer to real time vs. its predecessor...advantage 5d5 but closer. Unless either camera includes a dedicated chip to auto-focus ala the 1 series, there will be no advantage to either model.

So instead of jumping on the 5R I might just have to wait until both models are out and see what the jury of buyers has to say and my 5D3 may have to suffice for another year.

There is another thing to consider here. I am also a 5D3 owner, and i can say the frame rate is the big limitation, aside from AF and EVF issues. Shooting soccer and martial arts, I've learned the 6fps (at least I think that's what we have on the 5D3) isn't really ideal. If you look at the 1D series, or even the 7D which is the crop action camera, you have gotten double that, which would be much better. So with the R series camera you're getting up to 20FPS. I can only imagine how nice that will be. But of course the limitation is the EFV delay, at least at this point in time. The R5 is supposed to have some killer EVF, so maybe that has mostly been solved? We will see. But it will eventually be solved. Until then we can only compensate with technique. So you'll have to anticipate a bit and hit the shutter slightly early, grab a burst of 20 shots to get what you want. The reality is even in a DSLR if you've waited until you see what you want to capture to hit the shutter, you missed it anyway (there is 1/3 of a second minimum delay between your finger and your brain, plus the mechanical action of your camera). So shooting R5 vs 5D will require a different technique, but not a totally alien one.

I also find it amusing, that a few months ago the theme around here was Canon being too slow in to mirrorless, too slow to 'give up on EOS'...and now so many people speculating both will live forever! Just one of those funny things, not good or bad. My opinion is that it is only a matter of time before technology advances and/or technique catches up and the mirrorless does as well as the DSLR. At that point, we will see the retirement of the EF mount. I suspect that will be within a 2-4 years. Just long enough for them to prove to the DSLR users that they can upgrade without losing the functionality they covet.

-Brian

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jumping in late as I understand this camera is off to manufacturing. I just saw an image (see attached) of the back of the R5 and something bugged me regarding the ergonomic design.

Why would they put the Play button next to the Trash button!!!
I don't know about others, but when I hit the Play button, usually the next thing I do is hit the Magnification button to check out focus point on the image. So having the Play and Mag buttons next to each other to me make more sense, but what do I know. I would be curious as to what other think. Anybody knows if the buttons functions are assignable.

Canon-R5-Back.png

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

ildyria

R5 Lover
CR Pro
Mar 5, 2020
For me: 350D->5D2->5D4->R
For me: m50 -> R :sneaky:

Why would they put the Play button next to the Trash button!!!
I don't know about others, but when I hit the Play button, usually the next thing I do is hit the Magnification button to check out focus point on the image. So having the Play and Mag buttons next to each other to me make more sense, but what do I know. I would be curious as to what other think. Anybody knows if the buttons functions are assignable.

View attachment 189403

I'm using my R in ballroom competitions, I have about 75% rejection rate --due to framing, focusing or timing (you want your picture to be on the beat or at the lowest point of a contracheck - throwaway Oversway.

As a result I have a lot of pictures which I can quickly determine without zooming if they are "okay" or not. I don't mean they are good, perfectly in focus etc, I am just doing a quick scan & delete.

With my R, play & delete are close by. I usually do play during the breaks between the heats. Then I often do Delete - Right - Ok so I don't have to do it in Lightroom. So it is quite convenient that the buttons are close together.

If I need to zoom, then * and use the index wheel or directly on the screen with pinch & spread.

So as opposed to you, I think this is actually pretty good ergonomic for users like me in mind. However I would not be worried. I think you can re map the buttons as you see fit.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012

I'm using my R in ballroom competitions, I have about 75% rejection rate --due to framing, focusing or timing (you want your picture to be on the beat or at the lowest point of a contracheck - throwaway Oversway.

As a result I have a lot of pictures which I can quickly determine without zooming if they are "okay" or not. I don't mean they are good, perfectly in focus etc, I am just doing a quick scan & delete.

With my R, play & delete are close by. I usually do play during the breaks between the heats. Then I often do Delete - Right - Ok so I don't have to do it in Lightroom. So it is quite convenient that the buttons are close together.

If I need to zoom, then * and use the index wheel or directly on the screen with pinch & spread.

So as opposed to you, I think this is actually pretty good ergonomic for users like me in mind. However I would not be worried. I think you can re map the buttons as you see fit.

Interesting...I never delete anything in camera.....

I can only think of once I did, I'd put in the wrong card at the start of a day shooting a concert, was before any bands hit the stage....I hit play looking to confirm I had a card I could format....and saw it had some things I needed to keep for whatever reason...I went through and deleted all the other things since I couldn't format the card without losing some things I needed.

It was a snafu situation, not my usual one...but other than that I never delete in camera, I only format in camera.

That likely was back before I had as many cards as I do now, but anyway....it's morning, I"m rambling.

carry on...
:)

C

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
With the high fps rates talked about for the R5 and R6, I am wondering whether Canon is thinking that spray and pray bursts are part of the answer to EVF latency. Not elegant but....

There is that approach and you can always frame a little wider (if possible) to leave some cropping room around the image to help with composition. I tested an R at the US Open Tennis last year (spectator) and was able to capture most of that action as a wanted even before the big AF upgrade. While more of a challenge than with a DSLR, I was able to get the ball on the racket if I really focused and anticipated. I am sure it would be MUCH harder trying to capture birds. A faster refresh rate on the R5 OVF should definitely help. I believe some of the Canon material mentioned wildlife, which would require a faster sensor readout and OVF refresh rate.

I just want to see the full announcements with specifications.

David

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ildyria

R5 Lover
CR Pro
Mar 5, 2020
Interesting...I never delete anything in camera.....

Over a single day dance competition, I usually take between 1500~3000 to sometimes 5000 pictures (when really good couples are on the floor). Even if you shoot by small burst of 3, the number increases really quickly. So you can see that delete in camera is a life saver for me as it helps me reduce the workload later.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands

I do something similar when taking a lot of macro photos outside, reviewing them in the EVF works quite well, you don't have to shift position. The downside of this is that when switching from my RP to the M6II the button next to 'Play' is not 'Delete', but 'Menu'.

Upvote 0
It has to be really poor image for me to delete in camera, so I rarely do it. I can see where pinch/spread is a game changer that could render the Mag button a thing of the past. My current camera (7D MII) doesn't support pinch/spread, so I do depend on the Mag button more to check my focus.

I really want this camera. I'm praying to the camera Gods to have the R5 priced no more then $3K... maybe $3.2K.

Upvote 0

AdmiralFwiffo

Terrible photographer
Feb 17, 2020
IMHO: It's foolish to continue to invest significantly in DSLRs. As much effort as possible must be invested in cultivating a new generation of photographers - people who grew up in a 100% mobile world, but want something better than their cell phone for photography and video.

Even the current generation of MILCs is deficient relative to cell phones in features that matter to people under 40. They should be able to post to TikTok from the camera. Telling them to use a DSLR is like telling them to use a typewriter.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA

The R5 is a step up from the 5D but this is reassuring we can anticipate a R1 some time.
That should be an interesting piece of equipment considering what the R5 does.
Now bring the R series with a model to match the price point of the XXD cameras.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Of course you can still use all your EF lenses with the adaptor(s).
But you will not gain the advantages of RF lenses (often smaller, often better IQ, better AF/IS communication, etc.)

And by this (your) thought why even change body?
For many it will be a process to switch over due to cost. Start with an RF body while using EF lenses and phase in the RF lenses over time as funds permit.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
For many it will be a process to switch over due to cost. Start with an RF body while using EF lenses and phase in the RF lenses over time as funds permit.

That's pretty much how it will be with me. I'll PROBABLY (price and finance dependent) buy an R5 with some sort of kit lens. Meanwhile, I have some EF lenses I bought in anticipation of going full frame.

Up to now I've only owned APS-C bodies--a number of EF-S lenses and of course now dedicated M series lenses. About a year ago I imposed a rule on myself--future lenses would be EF or EF-M only, no EF-S; at least the EF lenses will continue to be useful with either my M or R cameras.

(Yes, I know EF-S lenses will work on RF bodies, but if the RF is gonna crop them, I might as well stick them on my EOS-M body anyway.)

Upvote 0