Canon continues to outsell everyone in the full frame segment according to BCN

Kharan

R6, RP, bunch of lenses
Nov 9, 2018
The funny part is that SonyRumors posted this exact same graph a few days ago trying to claim it shows that "Sony is crushing Canon and Nikon".

Well, if you only look at the last 5 months, it certainly looks that way - it's, surprisingly, less misleading than CR's own spin, "Canon continues to outsell everyone in the FF segment" when that was patently false for a couple of months back. In fact, 2018 might be the first year since the introduction of 35mm sensors that Canon will be demoted to the #2 position in that particular market.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Berowne

... they sparkle still the right Promethean fire.
Jun 7, 2014
Well, if you only look at the last 5 months, it certainly looks that way - it's, surprisingly, less misleading than CR's own spin, "Canon continues to outsell everyone in the FF segment" when that was patently false for a couple of months back. In fact, 2018 might be the first year since the introduction of 35mm sensors that Canon will be demoted to the #2 position in that particular market.

This is exactly, what the graph is showing: Sony outnumbers Canon and Nikon during about four Month in the end of the current year.

Upvote 0
They have made a lot of camera in there years, they had their AXX0, which a some of them had ok spec but I never knew anyone who used them. Then there was the A77 or A99 ish camera what looked really on paper but did people use them? I don't know. It wasn't until the NEX that I started seeing people use them, I felt like there were pretty popular as second camera (small kits) or didn't want the weight of DSLR. Then they seem to get better and better with the A3500 model and so on. So that is 2006 to 2013 that they didn't gain much in they way of market share. But from 2014-2018 they grew a lot in term of market share and people using their camera.

The A77 and A99 were good cameras (ok, I'm biased as I'm an A77/A77ii user) but it's hard to regain peoples trust after messing up like Sony did by releasing only entry-level models for a long time before stepping up to the plate with the A700 (which wasn't outstanding but competitive in its class) and the A900 (which seemed great but they missed the video train there, still a good camera), then acting weird again (A900/A850 gone and no replacement for way too long). People weren't convinced A-mount would be around and many switched brands when time came to update their equipment. And then came the mirrorless models and Sony seemingly decided they shouldn't even try convincing people to buy A-mount cameras.

In 2014-ish they released the A7 and their marketing there has been very good. First off, the A7 was released at a really low price compared to the competition, then they made use of influencers to spread the word and play the "small size", "low price" and "adapt vintage lenses" cards effectively. I mean, people still argue that Sony FF is smaller and cheaper even when they're proven wrong. And of course the FF hype helped them.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Couldn't have said it better. So much measure-bating on youtube and forums, you'd think my 5DIV's were note capable of amazing photos but somehow I still keep wow'ing clients and making money. I don't care that base ISO only has 14 stops of DR while Sony has 16 (or whatever the heck the numbers are, who cares). Cameras today are INSANELY good! Just because the Nikon sensor has a slight edge in the DPreview lab or what have you means nothing to me. 99.8 % perfect vs 99.7 percent perfect. Whatever. Certainly not a reason to just sell all my lenses and start over with a new ecosystem and learn a whole new camera interface instead of the one I've been using for over a decade.

Remember this Huawei smartphone gate about two years ago? They claimed that a widely regarded image with a backlit woman was shot with a P9 phone. But then the exif data revealed that it was shot with an EOS 5D3...

https://www.digitalrev.com/article/huawei-claims-5d-mark-iii-photo-was-taken-on-its-p9-smartphone

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
The funny part is that SonyRumors posted this exact same graph a few days ago trying to claim it shows that "Sony is crushing Canon and Nikon".
Well, 10 yrs ago only Canon and Nikon would have shared this market nearly completely. So, Sony did an impressive job chasing the old dinosaurs a bit. As a user I really appreciate such a strong competition, despite I gonna stick with Canon, as a stills shooter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
You'd think Canon and Nikon were bankrupt if YouTube was your primary news source.

I think that at some point, people who just throw money at cameras will realize that whether they own a Sony or a Nikon or a Canon, no piece of equipment can make a boring photograph spectacular, and that buying the next product that reviewers ramble on about doesn't make anyone a better photographer, unless you really enjoy shooting test patterns mounted on a wall.

^^^^^^^^^
This!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
.... buying the next product that reviewers ramble on about doesn't make anyone a better photographer, unless you really enjoy shooting test patterns mounted on a wall.
Don't say that so rude. Shooting test patterns is the Mount Olympus of abstract photography! In particular if you use Olympus gear...:p

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Don't say that so rude. Shooting test patterns is the Mount Olympus of abstract photography! In particular if you use Olympus gear...:p
I have never shot anything else than test patterns.
And spend hours and hours analysing every single pixel on my huge monitor, if I don't listen to the youtube experts' opinion.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0