Canon Dominates Sidelines at Super Bowl LI

Jul 28, 2015
eosuser1234 said:
Do pros use a 7Dm2 for extra reach with the APS-C sensor?

Or does everyone get 500-600mm lens for the big game.

If you are at an event where CPS is onsite I am going with a 1dx2 or a 5dm4 over a 7dm2. The only way I am sticking with a 7md2 is that is the camera that I am so familar with that I don't want to upgrade for a big event. I shoot the Indy 500 and have tried the 1dx2, I used this as my second camera, I used my 5dm3 as my primary but put the 1dx2 to the test as well . The race is long enough to switch back and forth. I was just more comfortable with my own equipment. I did try the 200-400 w 1.4 on Carb Day once.

Depending upon what you are shooting and who you are shooting for will determine what you need. At many big events most of the prime spots are reserved for the highest profile outlets or the organization. The Indy race is in the day time so you can get by with a 500-600, a NASCAR night race not so much.

Upvote 0
Cali Capture said:
Notice a lot of f/4.0 200-400mm lenses. That ability to flip focal lengths is worth the extra weight, and loss of a stop. Imagine there's enough lite and Canon'e anti flicker bodies make it workable, even under lights.

I use a 1DX MK1 and 1DX MK2. Anti-flicker is worth the upgrade alone for me . . . Saving up for second 1DX2 . . .

I use 200-400 for most field sports (football, soccer, rugby, baseball . . . ) along with a 70-200 2.8. Most of the time, I only flip the 1.4x during the daytime when there is enough light . . .

For indoor sports (basketball, volleyball . . . ), I use a 300 2.8, 70-200 2.8 and 24-70 2.8

Upvote 0
Buck said:
eosuser1234 said:

If you are at an event where CPS is onsite I am going with a 1dx2 or a 5dm4 over a 7dm2. The only way I am sticking with a 7md2 is that is the camera that I am so familar with that I don't want to upgrade for a big event. I shoot the Indy 500 and have tried the 1dx2, I used this as my second camera, I used my 5dm3 as my primary but put the 1dx2 to the test as well . The race is long enough to switch back and forth. I was just more comfortable with my own equipment. I did try the 200-400 w 1.4 on Carb Day once.

Depending upon what you are shooting and who you are shooting for will determine what you need. At many big events most of the prime spots are reserved for the highest profile outlets or the organization. The Indy race is in the day time so you can get by with a 500-600, a NASCAR night race not so much.

Which brings up one reason not to use the 7D II vs a 1Dx II. Fast shutter speeds are required, which means higher ISO and the 7D II will not perform as well.

Upvote 0
Aug 28, 2012
Cali Capture said:
Notice a lot of f/4.0 200-400mm lenses. That ability to flip focal lengths is worth the extra weight, and loss of a stop. Imagine there's enough lite and Canon'e anti flicker bodies make it workable, even under lights.
The guy in the middle is shooting with a 100-400 which gives us amateur sports photogs a ray of hope. Even at those apertures the zoom has its advantages (in reasonable light, on a 1DX/ii).

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Buck said:
eosuser1234 said:

If you can afford the big white lenses, you can afford the 1DX or 1DX2.

The 7D2 has a fantastic AF system, better than just about everything else out there EXCEPT the 1DX and 1DX2..... And the 1DX2 gives you a solid 2stops of ISO improvement......

Speaking as a 7D2 owner, who can not sing the praises of the camera loud enough, for sports (particularly not in direct sunlight), if there was a 7D2 and a 1DX2 on the counter in front of me at "the big game", I would grab the 1DX2 every time.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I was watching the interviews with the winners at the end of the game, surrounded by a sea of Red Ringed lenses and 1 series bodies. I tried to count but gave up. The Gold Ring lenses were easy, there was only one. I noticed a video camera with a green ring, which was probably Canon, but many use Sony cameras and Canon lenses. Canon loans their 4K broadcast lenses to the TV broadcasters like they did at the Olympics. I don't know if Sony was loaning Video Cameras or not.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/lenses/broadcast/4k-uhd-portable-lenses/cj12ex4-3b-series
cj12ex43b-4k-portable-wide-angle-3q-d.jpg

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
what really comes in handy, and this will not be to the liking of many, is a body with a flippy screen for the post game shots or video. You will see many guys with a body raised over top of their head trying to get a shot. You are usually in a very cramped space and never really certain of what you have , by using a flip screen body on live view and a flash you are more likely to get a decent shot, it is no guarantee. The flash takes away the need to have a top of the line body in lower light, the subject is not really moving at any speed. You are going to be using a short lens anyway.
Because there are so many bodies and body parts in the way, these shots are among the most difficult to get. You have no real time to compose and you are not the only one tying to get a clear shot, add the tv cameras, sound people and reporters to the mix make it difficult.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Buck said:
what really comes in handy, and this will not be to the liking of many, is a body with a flippy screen for the post game shots or video. You will see many guys with a body raised over top of their head trying to get a shot. You are usually in a very cramped space and never really certain of what you have , by using a flip screen body on live view and a flash you are more likely to get a decent shot, it is no guarantee. The flash takes away the need to have a top of the line body in lower light, the subject is not really moving at any speed. You are going to be using a short lens anyway.
Because there are so many bodies and body parts in the way, these shots are among the most difficult to get. You have no real time to compose and you are not the only one tying to get a clear shot, add the tv cameras, sound people and reporters to the mix make it difficult.

Good point

Upvote 0
Aug 28, 2012
Buck said:
Is it a weather sealing issue as much as anything?

Upvote 0

Big_Ant_TV_Media

Hey Fellow Canon Shooters
Oct 13, 2014
NYC
www.facebook.com
Don Haines said:
Buck said:
eosuser1234 said:

If you can afford the big white lenses, you can afford the 1DX or 1DX2.

The 7D2 has a fantastic AF system, better than just about everything else out there EXCEPT the 1DX and 1DX2..... And the 1DX2 gives you a solid 2stops of ISO improvement......

Speaking as a 7D2 owner, who can not sing the praises of the camera loud enough, for sports (particularly not in direct sunlight), if there was a 7D2 and a 1DX2 on the counter in front of me at "the big game", I would grab the 1DX2 every time.

the 5d4 AF is better then the 7D2 its a baby 1dx2

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015

I only recall one game played in a rain storm, Colts-Saints in Miami. Just cover your gear with plastic, a smaller body with a small lens is going to spend most of its time under your rain poncho anyway.
Most auto races aren't run in the rain, sometimes the victory lane ceremony will be moved to an area under cover if possible.

Looking at photo used here, the photogs are actually on the field of play here, which leads me to believe that these guys are shooting a team entrance onto the field as part of the pre game.

Upvote 0

Big_Ant_TV_Media

Hey Fellow Canon Shooters
Oct 13, 2014
NYC
www.facebook.com
Buck said:

I only recall one game played in a rain storm, Colts-Saints in Miami. Just cover your gear with plastic, a smaller body with a small lens is going to spend most of its time under your rain poncho anyway.
Most auto races aren't run in the rain, sometimes the victory lane ceremony will be moved to an area under cover if possible.

Looking at photo used here, the photogs are actually on the field of play here, which leads me to believe that these guys are shooting a team entrance onto the field as part of the pre game.

umm that was colts bears 2006 smh

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Hector1970 said:
There must be so many photographers at the Super Bowl taking exactly the same photograph.
You have photographers taking photos of the players at the end and photographers taking photos of photographers taking photographs of players. Very few of them must get published.

Each photograph is copyrighted / owned by the photographer or his company, and would be published by either his company, or he might sell it to Reuters, for example. Certainly, only a tiny percentage are actually published, but the ownership of the photo determines who can publish it. There are still a large number of publishers.

Upvote 0