Canon DSLR to screw mount adaptor info ?

Hi, I have a couple of old lenses ( pentax and zeiss primes ) I like to play with periodically and bought an m42 screw mount adaptor which i happily used with my 5Dmk2 and the lenses worked , now i have only 5dMk3s and i just get an error code when mounting with the adaptor , I can find any specific mounts for the 5D3 , anyone know of any known issue causing this. TIA

Wedding Photographer North East & Yorkshire Northumberland & Wedding Photographer Cumbria

Sep 1, 2014
Hi, I have a couple of old lenses ( pentax and zeiss primes ) I like to play with periodically and bought an m42 screw mount adaptor which i happily used with my 5Dmk2 and the lenses worked , now i have only 5dMk3s and i just get an error code when mounting with the adaptor , I can find any specific mounts for the 5D3 , anyone know of any known issue causing this. TIA

Wedding Photographer North East & Yorkshire Northumberland & Wedding Photographer Cumbria

since you don't tell us what error you're getting, most probably you have to go into the custom functions menu and enable the "release shutter without lens" option

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
since you don't tell us what error you're getting, most probably you have to go into the custom functions menu and enable the "release shutter without lens" option

Thats a function I've never seen, its not in the manual either. Where did you find that?

Its most likely that a function was set that requires lens communication, or if using a chipped adapter, its not compatible with newer cameras.

1. If chipped adapter, try one that isn't chipped or get a new one

2. Reset the camera to its default function settings. Mine worked just fine with all 3rd party lenses.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com

If it's a chipped adaptor the chip may not be recognised by the current camera firmware, in which case your best option may be to put a bit of insulating tape over the contacts on the adaptor and turn it into a non-chipped adaptor which should then just work.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
while true i have played with a 5d3 very little, that's a function i have on both my Ms (M5 and original M) and i'm pretty sure i had it on the 70D...
Yes, its a function on mirrorless cameras including a EOS-R, but I've had two 5D MK III's and never seen the function, inor on any of my other 5 or 1 series DSLR's. I just checked, not on my SL2 either. Apparently unique to mirrorless.

Upvote 0
Hi all and cheers for the replies , the error was Err01 Communications between the camera and lens is faulty, clean the lens contacts.

There is no option i can find to change the release shutter, so taped over the contacts and that has worked :) thanks once again

Still unsure why the 5D2 could do it and the 5d3 cannot though ?

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Andrew.
First I should confess that I don’t own a chipped adaptor, but I did do a fair bit of reading up on them when I had some m42 lenses available, based on that a couple of ideas.
Is it a programmable chip where you can enter the aperture / lens type for exif? If so it might be not recognising something written by the 5DII, perhaps try clearing the info, I guess you might have to borrow a 5DII if you no longer own one!
Perhaps if the chip came out before the 5DIII the chip isn’t recognised by the 5DIII or the chip doesn’t recognise the 5DIII. :unsure:

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Hi all and cheers for the replies , the error was Err01 Communications between the camera and lens is faulty, clean the lens contacts.

There is no option i can find to change the release shutter, so taped over the contacts and that has worked :) thanks once again

Still unsure why the 5D2 could do it and the 5d3 cannot though ?

Can the adapter be updated? The reason is that Canon updated dome of their AF protocols for the 5D MK III. they still work with all EF lenses, but some chips that were incorrectly reverse engineered will not work. This seems to happen regularly. I don't use a chipped adapter because of the issue. There are many articles online posted by people who discovered this when the 5D III came out.

Rather than tape the chip, spend a few dollars and get a updated one, or just remove it. A new adapter will solve it as well.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I have to be honest i can see contacts on the adaptor but i cannot see a chip anywhere ?
It should look like the photo in the link on Amazon. They are normally glued on. Its a chip packaged in a semicircular container.

31HxlrlL6LL.jpg

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Andrew.
I’m guessing from what you have said that if you do have a programmable adaptor, any setting is accidental, you might have a look at the link, scroll down to the text just above the large pictures and the last couple of lines are how to avoid accidentally entering the setup menu, it might be worth having a look for reset!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHIC-Ada...611831?hash=item25fdd876f7:g:uLcAAOSwciVbbqFb
Alternatively you could buy it for £8.50 and you can have one with a chip that works with a 5DIII, or if you are not in a hurry one from China for £3 that is chip 3.0 but doesn’t specifically say 5DIII (only 5D)!

Cheers, Graham.

Upvote 0