Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM

Nov 17, 2011
This lens works well with 1Dx. Here are some photos taken with 1Dx - Little B-tour @ work.
i-2vmDVzz-X3.jpg

i-Hjks4wQ-X3.jpg

i-958Z5K5-X3.jpg

i-k8TZZvF-X3.jpg

Upvote 0
Jun 11, 2013
Just returned from a week of backpacking in Canyonlands and took a new 100-400 II instead of the 70-200 II so I could cut down on lenses (took the 24-70II, 24 TSII and the 100-400). I'm pleased with the IQ and portability. IS was great for off tripod wildlife stalking and performance on tripod for HDR landscape was wonderful as well. Here's a shot of a ground squirrel with the 1.4XIII, 5DMK III, ISO 1250, 1/800, f 9 (processed in DPP4 from a ca. 2400 pix crop). This lens plus the 24-70 II and the 1.4X III covers a lot of perspectives (just needed the 11-24mm to complete the kit).

Attachments

• 201A1383for_post.JPG
    201A1383for_post.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 407
Upvote 0
There I was reading from the start of this thread thinking "airshow lens" and now I'm pretty sure I'd get more out of this than my 200-400 because anything beyond 400 is usually just more atmospheric haze, and there is usually enough light that stop either way doesn't make a big difference.

Hmm. I want one of these, and 24 TS, and...

Jim

Upvote 0
A couple of recent shots with the new 100-400 with Kenko 1.4 DGX teleconverter on 1DIV. I'm very happy with the lens, having used the version 1 for about 8 years before moving to the sigma 120-300 about a year ago. Using teleconverters 1.4 and 2x on each it is hard to see the difference in detail but the weight difference is huge so I'm using the Sigma only when I need the extra light gather capabilities.

Sing your little heart out by Barry Scully, on Flickr

Juicy by Barry Scully, on Flickr

Great Blue Heron by Barry Scully, on Flickr

Upvote 0
stochasticmotions said:
A couple of recent shots with the new 100-400 with Kenko 1.4 DGX teleconverter on 1DIV. I'm very happy with the lens, having used the version 1 for about 8 years before moving to the sigma 120-300 about a year ago. Using teleconverters 1.4 and 2x on each it is hard to see the difference in detail but the weight difference is huge so I'm using the Sigma only when I need the extra light gather capabilities.

great shots, my GAS is kicking :D

Upvote 0
K-amps said:
It Takes mk.iii TC's very well. Here is a shot with a 2x TC mk.iii attached to a Sony a6000 crop body via a Fotodiox adapter I took yesterday for an effective FoV of 1200mm. But given the density of the crop sensor, the reach is closer to 1600mm on a 5d3 type body.

Wonderful shot, great sharpness @ that FoV, though i didn't get the math, does the Fotodiox adapter has a crop to it?

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
stochasticmotions said:

Very nice pictures, stochasticmotions. Well done.

Upvote 0
I bought the 100-400 to be a light weight alternative with my (wife´s) 7DII. I have not had time to use it much, but took it out today. In general it is a very handy combo. Very small and light and with the crop factor I get good reach. I have a nagging feeling about the AF consistency on the 7DII though. Need more time to test it. Up until now it´s been good, but I missed more than I should today.

This is a one-day old Great Crested Grebe, resting on his mother´s back. There are still 3 eggs in the nest. Will have to check before work tomorrow morning :)

Attachments

• _G9A0830.jpg
    _G9A0830.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 438
Upvote 0
stochasticmotions said:

Fantastic series. Great job!

Upvote 0
meywd said:
K-amps said:
It Takes mk.iii TC's very well. Here is a shot with a 2x TC mk.iii attached to a Sony a6000 crop body via a Fotodiox adapter I took yesterday for an effective FoV of 1200mm. But given the density of the crop sensor, the reach is closer to 1600mm on a 5d3 type body.

Wonderful shot, great sharpness @ that FoV, though i didn't get the math, does the Fotodiox adapter has a crop to it?

Thanks!

Sony's have a crop of 1.5 not 1.6. so FoV is 800x 1.5 = 1200mm.

The reach was just an estimate, based on the ability to throw more pixels per square inch... I forget how I did the math for that. Let me try again:

Density of 5d3 sensor 2.58 mp per sq cm, Density of a6000 6.65 mp per sq cm. So the a6000 can throw 2.58x more pixels per sq cm than the 5d3. Less the 1.5x crop equals about 1.72x more reach (not FoV) so 1.72 x 800mm = 1372mm in other words, a 1372mm lens mounted on a 5d3, will yield similar magnification/ resolution as a 800mm mounted on a a6000.

People like me sometimes use the FoV (crop factor) interchangeably with reach (ability to crop without losing detail) , but I think they are different... as you can see one yields an equivalent of 1200mm, the other 1372mm (assuming my math was good). In other words, if the a6000 sensor density is scaled to Full frame, it would be a 62.6 mp sensor (interestingly the new Sony A9/ A7rii is rumored to be 59 mp).

So in post you can crop much deeper with a 62mp sensor than 22mp... this is what the a6000 does with out needing to crop more. Ofcourse... it's much more noisier at higher iso's.... quite noisy :)

Upvote 0
Was in Northern California this last week, and rented the 100-400 II for some landscape and misc photography. I had used it once prior for just a few days, not really having a chance to see what it could do for me (had previously been trying out the 70-200 f/2.8 II + 1.4 and 2x III TCs).

This lens is pretty amazing if you want that 100-400 range and the f/5.6 you get over pretty quick, especially if you shoot landscapes. The IS on this thing is amazing. Handheld sharp photos 400mm @ 1/30 sec is very possible. And seeing as I forgot the tripod 600mi away at home, these area all handheld. Here are a variety of shots I took with it.. more on my flickr page. Shot with a 5D3.

Hazy Shasta

Rock and Ice

Lilly

Dry

Upvote 0