Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM

Greetings, Mt. Spokane (does not rhyme with cocaine):

Always enjoyed your posts: thought they were balanced, knowledgeable and pleasantly lacking in vitriol. Had another reason to relate: long ago, taught school for seven years in Kettle Falls. (Guessing you know where that is.) Hated the job; God's country.

For complicated family reasons, have been stuck in the upper Midwest for 13 years. Which means I now have two reasons to dislike (envy) you: (1) for getting to put a new 100-400 Mk II through its paces; and (2) for being able to do it using the Inland Empire for a test pattern. Those shots of America's last truly middle class hobby farms nestled up against the western foothills of the Rockies were a lance to the heart...

:)

Upvote 0
K-amps said:
Shot mounted on an 80D:

The Costa Rican Ahinga of the Arsenal region. Aka Snake-Bird along the Rio Frigo

Shot from a Moving boat as the Bird groomed itself along the shore Foliage. 1/250th F/5, iso800 on a Canon 80D mounted with the 100-400mm mk.II @ 241mm

Great shot K-amps

Upvote 0
I took this lens, mounted on a 5DSR, on a flyfishing trip to Iceland last week. Even though the reach is not what I normally use, the combination with the enormous resolution of the 5DSR gives the combo a fantastic flexibility.

This dunlin, which is a rather small bird, came quite close. You do not get 400 f2.8L IS II type bokeh, but I can live with this.

5DSR, 1/1000s, f/5.6, ISO320, @400mm

Attachments

• _23A0989.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 342
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
Eldar said:
I took this lens, mounted on a 5DSR, on a flyfishing trip to Iceland last week. Even though the reach is not what I normally use, the combination with the enormous resolution of the 5DSR gives the combo a fantastic flexibility.

This dunlin, which is a rather small bird, came quite close. You do not get 400 f2.8L IS II type bokeh, but I can live with this.

5DSR, 1/1000s, f/5.6, ISO320, @400mm

Very nice shot, Eldar. Well done.

Upvote 0
p1023509394-4.jpg

p568080541-4.jpg

Upvote 0
I picked one up a few months ago from Canon reburbished store. The IS works very well and the subject you focus on is very sharp. However I find the bokeh a bit unpleasing compared to the 70-200 f2.8 (non IS) that I normally use. I realize the 100-400 is not f2.8, but even when my 70-200 is stopped down to an equivalent aperture it just looks so much nicer to me. I am also not crazy about the lens zooming out - and yes I knew that was how it worked when I ordered it. I also find in low light or low contrast subjects it has a hard time focusing in situations where my 70-200 would lock in no problem. It's not a terrible lens by any means, just not as stellar as I expected. Is anyone else slightly disappointed with it?

Upvote 0