Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM

greger said:
I enjoyed viewing all the images on this thread L and non-L. I use my L version anytime I want to take pics of flowers and
macro shots. My macro's aren't that good yet. Practice and more Practice is what I need. Maybe I can get outside this week between periods of rain for some interesting shots.

Just a tip... If you want some "wet" shots, try bringing your own "rain". :)

Upvote 0
This lens is also good for portraits. Taken with 500D + 100mm F2.8 USM.

9782642162_22a5a4cb69_c.jpg

9782902673_d7e15f88ff_c.jpg

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
verysimplejason said:
siegsAR said:
The color rendition from this lens is just so good to look at. :)

How good is this lens at portraits? Moarrrr please, ;D like angox's.

Portraits? You'll never go wrong with this lens. It's just a little bit hard in my case because it's a little bit long for an APS-C when used for portraits and the AF is slow relatively if compared to 50mm F1.8 II (for portraits).

I have been following this thread for a while, and appreciate a lot of the photos in this thread, well done to many fine photographers. I have the Canon EF 100mm macro USM (non-L).

What was written above (which I've highlighted in red font) isn't my experience. My 100mm macro's AF is definitely quicker to focus than both copies of my Canon 50mm f/1.8 II - on either of my Canon DSLR's: 7D or 350D. Not as quick as my 70-300mm L, but it's not bad... better than eg a few Sigma telephoto zooms I've used.

If I limit the AF (ie so it doesn't search through the 'macro ranges') - the 100mm AF's quite snappy, at any subject distance- particularly on my 7D, but even on my 350D. I hated the slow, grindy, inaccurate AF of the 50mm f/1.8, so I got rid of both copies.

Here are a few recent macro photos I made with my 100mm nonL lens.
Note - there is also a Canon 100mm macro non-L, non-USM.... but it's quite old and not so many of those around anymore.
(PS - I have some great portraits with my 100mm macro lens too....)

Attachments

• IMG_4093.jpg
    IMG_4093.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 1,278
  • IMG_4149.jpg
    IMG_4149.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 1,284
Upvote 0
pj1974 said:
verysimplejason said:
siegsAR said:
The color rendition from this lens is just so good to look at. :)

How good is this lens at portraits? Moarrrr please, ;D like angox's.

Portraits? You'll never go wrong with this lens. It's just a little bit hard in my case because it's a little bit long for an APS-C when used for portraits and the AF is slow relatively if compared to 50mm F1.8 II (for portraits).

I have been following this thread for a while, and appreciate a lot of the photos in this thread, well done to many fine photographers. I have the Canon EF 100mm macro USM (non-L).

What was written above (which I've highlighted in red font) isn't my experience. My 100mm macro's AF is definitely quicker to focus than both copies of my Canon 50mm f/1.8 II - on either of my Canon DSLR's: 7D or 350D. Not as quick as my 70-300mm L, but it's not bad... better than eg a few Sigma telephoto zooms I've used.

If I limit the AF (ie so it doesn't search through the 'macro ranges') - the 100mm AF's quite snappy, at any subject distance- particularly on my 7D, but even on my 350D. I hated the slow, grindy, inaccurate AF of the 50mm f/1.8, so I got rid of both copies.

Here are a few recent macro photos I made with my 100mm nonL lens.
Note - there is also a Canon 100mm macro non-L, non-USM.... but it's quite old and not so many of those around anymore.
(PS - I have some great portraits with my 100mm macro lens too....)

Sorry but I've shot a a modelling stint (while walking on a platform) using 50mm F1.8. However I can't use the 100mm F2.8 USM for that because once the model moves, your AF servo won't be able to track them anymore due to longer movements in the barrel. Once the 50mm F1.8 got a lock using AF servo, the movement inside isn't that much so it's better for tracking movements. It might be true though that during initial AF, 100mm maybe faster by a hair. However it's entirely different once your subject moves especially if it's moving towards you.

Anyway, here's some more early morning shots. This is really my favorite lens.

9650339969_04c0cd3b09_c.jpg

9650337237_1d5a6a1f04_c.jpg

9783114901_ae5bfa6718_c.jpg

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
verysimplejason said:
Rienzphotoz said:
verysimplejason said:
Some old, some new... The best pics I like the most among my macros... It's simply the best lens and most loved lens that I have.
AWESOME

Thanks!!! One question though, will it be as good or better with FF?
I doubt anyone will see a difference in a image posted on the web ... but if you are printing then the difference in quality will be easily noticable.

Upvote 0
Rienzphotoz said:
verysimplejason said:
Rienzphotoz said:
verysimplejason said:
Some old, some new... The best pics I like the most among my macros... It's simply the best lens and most loved lens that I have.
AWESOME

Thanks!!! One question though, will it be as good or better with FF?
I doubt anyone will see a difference in a image posted on the web ... but if you are printing then the difference in quality will be easily noticable.

Thanks man. Actually I've got the answers now on my own since acquiring the 6D. Yes, it's a noticeable difference once you print large.

Upvote 0
I took these shots today with my 5D Mark III. With the cold weather coming on, these guys are very lethargic and let me work out the exact distance to get the best shot. I've seen people get amazing close ups of insects where you can see the details in their compound eyes. I never imagined I'd have one of my own that was this good.

_J8A1752 by yorgasor, on Flickr

_J8A1750 by yorgasor, on Flickr

Upvote 0
yorgasor said:
I took these shots today with my 5D Mark III. With the cold weather coming on, these guys are very lethargic and let me work out the exact distance to get the best shot. I've seen people get amazing close ups of insects where you can see the details in their compound eyes. I never imagined I'd have one of my own that was this good.

Nicely done! The flower served also as a nice background. I don't know what aperture you used but a smaller aperture would make the eyes more defined if you want. Just remember to bring a tripod or a small reflector/flash. It will be easier to nail down the shot that you want.

Upvote 0
verysimplejason said:
yorgasor said:

Nicely done! The flower served also as a nice background. I don't know what aperture you used but a smaller aperture would make the eyes more defined if you want. Just remember to bring a tripod or a small reflector/flash. It will be easier to nail down the shot that you want.

Thanks for the tips. I used f/2.8. If you click on the image it will take you to my flickr account and you can see a larger version. There you can see the full details on the eyes. But if the bees are still around today I'll try something around 5.6 and see what improvements that can bring.

Upvote 0
yorgasor said:
Ok, I went back this morning and the little guy was still there. I tried a few other aperture settings. This one was my favorite, at f/9. As an added bonus, there were dew drops on his eyes. You can also see his entire face now. My daughter said, "Look, he's happy!"

Bee eyes w/ dew by yorgasor, on Flickr

Nice.

Upvote 0
yorgasor said:
Ok, I went back this morning and the little guy was still there. I tried a few other aperture settings. This one was my favorite, at f/9. As an added bonus, there were dew drops on his eyes. You can also see his entire face now. My daughter said, "Look, he's happy!"

Bee eyes w/ dew by yorgasor, on Flickr

Wow!!! Great shot!

Upvote 0
Janbo Makimbo said:
Truffaut said:
I walk the dog, see a flower next to the path, take my camera with the mounted 100L into my hands and I'm sinking into another world of fantastic colours and forms. I like this lens.
Nice pic, perhaps you could post it in the appropriate gallery, this is not for the 100L !

Thanks for the hint. I'll try to post it in the appropriate place.

Upvote 0