Canon EF 11-24mm f/4L USM

Vern

EOS 7D MK II
Jun 11, 2013
413
82
5DSR, 11-24mm @ 11mm, f8, HDR, ISO 100, panorama from 4 portrait shots, cropped to ~15K X 8.5K at full res. Screenshot of hires version for details. Still ended up with a bit of a halo around the tree on the left, but overall was a decent rendition of the scene at sunrise from Grandview Overlook, GC, Aug 1st 2017.
 

Attachments

Vossie

EOS RP
May 13, 2012
332
0
Netherlands
www.flickr.com
Thanks guys,

here are two more from the same area.


5D4 with EF 11-24@11mm; ISO 100, 5 sec @ f/22 with stack of 2 ND 0.9 filters


5D4 with EF 11-24@11mm; ISO 100, 2 sec @ f/22 with stack of 2 ND 0.9 filters
 

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
6,436
1,599
Alberta, Canada
Very nice. I will follow your lead since I very much want t get up to these longer exposures and never have worked with ND filter in my short time in photography. Any advice regarding handling?

Jack
 

Jopa

EOS 6D MK II
Dec 11, 2015
1,056
0
Wondering if anybody tried this one https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/549036-REG/Kodak_8645541_3_x_3_Neutral.html ?

Theoretically it shouldn't impact CDAF/DPAF focusing during the day...
 

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
Jul 21, 2010
24,639
2,153
Jopa said:
Wondering if anybody tried this one https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/549036-REG/Kodak_8645541_3_x_3_Neutral.html ?

Theoretically it shouldn't impact CDAF/DPAF focusing during the day...
That's what I use with my 11-24L, cut to size.
 

Attachments

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
6,436
1,599
Alberta, Canada
neuroanatomist said:
Jopa said:
Wondering if anybody tried this one https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/549036-REG/Kodak_8645541_3_x_3_Neutral.html ?

Theoretically it shouldn't impact CDAF/DPAF focusing during the day...
That's what I use with my 11-24L, cut to size.
The link page shows a pair of sample photos that got me wondering how much this filter affects IQ. Any thoughts?

Jack
 

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
Jul 21, 2010
24,639
2,153
Jack Douglas said:
The link page shows a pair of sample photos that got me wondering how much this filter affects IQ. Any thoughts?
I find very little to no effect on IQ. But then, I only use it when I need it, and that's when without it I would not get the shot I want...
 

tpatana

EOS 6D MK II
Nov 1, 2012
1,288
83
Just received mine :) Going on trip next week, hoping to get some scenery shots. I've never had anything this wide before (I have Canon 15mm 2.8 FE (which I'm planning to sell)), but it's different.

So any beginner mistakes I should avoid doing? Good tips?

Btw., first impression on receiving was totally "holy sh** it's huge!".
 

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
6,436
1,599
Alberta, Canada
@ tpatana I know the feeling. Obviously, watch that piece of glass that sticks out! I don't qualify to be giving advice.

I find that objects that have a known and easily identifiable shape in the extreme edges of photos will not present well. Objects like rocks could be any shape so they do better. Being so wide, everyone advises that there needs to be something interesting in the foreground and since there tends to be a lot of sky it helps if that contains clouds etc.

I sometimes crop my wide shots more than 16:9 to look like a panorama and get rid of some earth and sky. Like you, I'd like to hear other's comments and better still see fantastic photos. Here is one where I thought that 11 worked but maybe not. ;) Because the lens is good some after the fact cropping is possible.

Jack
 

Attachments

Jopa

EOS 6D MK II
Dec 11, 2015
1,056
0
neuroanatomist said:
Jopa said:
Wondering if anybody tried this one https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/549036-REG/Kodak_8645541_3_x_3_Neutral.html ?

Theoretically it shouldn't impact CDAF/DPAF focusing during the day...
That's what I use with my 11-24L, cut to size.
Good to know. How do you store gels? Are they easy to scratch?

The first review @ B&H is impressive: "This stuff serves no real purpose. I am a fanatic about protecting my lenses. These filters are flimsy and wont protect against anything but light." LOL
 

Jopa

EOS 6D MK II
Dec 11, 2015
1,056
0
tpatana said:
Just received mine :) Going on trip next week, hoping to get some scenery shots. I've never had anything this wide before (I have Canon 15mm 2.8 FE (which I'm planning to sell)), but it's different.

So any beginner mistakes I should avoid doing? Good tips?

Btw., first impression on receiving was totally "holy sh** it's huge!".
Congrats! As a beginner myself the only tip I can give - don't always shoot @ 11mm, it's just too wide :)
 

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
Jul 21, 2010
24,639
2,153
Jopa said:
How do you store gels? Are they easy to scratch?
I store the cut one in a little DIY sleeve made from a manilla file folder, and the remainder of the original square (from which I can cut more filters) in the origanal packaging. The gel seems pretty tough, I haven't scratched my first cutout (not that I've tried or treated it roughly).
 

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
Jul 21, 2010
24,639
2,153
And now, back to our regularly scheduled program...

Just returned from a short trip to Pisa, Italy. Here's a shot of the city's most famous landmark:

"Torre pendente di Pisa"

EOS 1D X, EF 11-24mm f/4L USM @ 11mm, 3.2 s, f/8, ISO 100

As usual, click for larger. Thanks for looking!
 

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
Sep 9, 2014
439
113
52
neuroanatomist said:
And now, back to our regularly scheduled program...

Just returned from a short trip to Pisa, Italy. Here's a shot of the city's most famous landmark:

"Torre pendente di Pisa"

EOS 1D X, EF 11-24mm f/4L USM @ 11mm, 3.2 s, f/8, ISO 100


Magnifico!!!

As usual, click for larger. Thanks for looking!