Canon EF 11-24mm f/4L USM

Jun 11, 2013
neuroanatomist said:
neuroanatomist said:
..I'll be going to the Loire Valley next month, and plan to pick up the 11-24L prior to that trip.

Here are a couple from Tours, France. The first is the interior of the Saint-Gatien Cathedral, the second is a section of wall outside of the Gare de Tours (train station).

"Cathédrale Saint-Gatien de Tours Interior"

EOS 1D X, EF 11-24mm f/4L USM @ 11mm, 1/40 s, f/4, ISO 2000

"Convergence"

EOS 1D X, EF 11-24mm f/4L USM @ 11mm, 0.6 s, f/11, ISO 100

beautiful composition Neuro - I love cathedrals

Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2012
Canada
neuroanatomist said:
neuroanatomist said:
..I'll be going to the Loire Valley next month, and plan to pick up the 11-24L prior to that trip.

Here are a couple from Tours, France. The first is the interior of the Saint-Gatien Cathedral, the second is a section of wall outside of the Gare de Tours (train station).

"Cathédrale Saint-Gatien de Tours Interior"

EOS 1D X, EF 11-24mm f/4L USM @ 11mm, 1/40 s, f/4, ISO 2000

"Convergence"

EOS 1D X, EF 11-24mm f/4L USM @ 11mm, 0.6 s, f/11, ISO 100

Terrific shots, Neuro!

Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2012
Canada
Here's some that I recently took with my 11-24mm. The first one is of the inside of Italianate Church, in Wiltshire. The other two are from inside Salisbury Cathedral, where one of four remaining copies of the Magna Carta is kept.

Attachments

• Holy Room.jpg
    Holy Room.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 830
  • AE6Q1660-Edit.jpg
    AE6Q1660-Edit.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 726
  • AE6Q1700.jpg
    AE6Q1700.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 718
Upvote 0
I admire all of you who can afford the magnificent 11-24, but for me all I can muster is a refurb Sigma 12-24 MK2. I took the Sigma on a recent trip to Wales and thought I would share these shots just for a fun comparison. All were shot on a seasoned Canon 6D and run through DxO OpticsPro 10 and Elements 12. DxO does a fantastic job of auto-correcting the obvious faults.

Attachments

• Wales 12-24 (2).jpg
    Wales 12-24 (2).jpg
    565.7 KB · Views: 175
  • Wales 12-24 (1).jpg
    Wales 12-24 (1).jpg
    649.5 KB · Views: 179
  • Wales 12-24 (3).jpg
    Wales 12-24 (3).jpg
    603.5 KB · Views: 187
Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2012
Canada
JumboShrimp said:
I admire all of you who can afford the magnificent 11-24, but for me all I can muster is a refurb Sigma 12-24 MK2. I took the Sigma on a recent trip to Wales and thought I would share these shots just for a fun comparison. All were shot on a seasoned Canon 6D and run through DxO OpticsPro 10 and Elements 12. DxO does a fantastic job of auto-correcting the obvious faults.

Nice shots! The Sigma is a very nice lens too. I've been recommending it to a friend that wants an ultra wide lens. :)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
R1-7D said:
What are your thoughts on it compared to any other wide angles you own?

Hope you had a nice time in France wile you were there.

I did have a nice time, although photography time was limited (I was there for a scientific conference).

Composition is challenging with the 11-24! There were a few shots where I used the 11-24L and also the TS-E 17L for the same scene, and often ended up preferring the TS-E image. Here's an example, the first with the TS-E 17 and the second with the 11-24 (I didn't actually process the latter, to remove flare etc.).

"Hôtel de ville de Tours"

EOS 1D X, TS-E 17mm f/4L, 8s, f/8, ISO 100

Attachments

• Tours City Hall 11mm.jpg
    Tours City Hall 11mm.jpg
    474.8 KB · Views: 1,366
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
If possible I'd like to see a higher rez 11-24 with adjustments, to compare. Right now it looks pretty bad. How close to the flowers could you get and still maintain focus? No experience here so just a dumb comment, does the T/S make the scene look more "boxy"? Great shot, very impressive full size.

Jack

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
R1-7D said:
What are your thoughts on it compared to any other wide angles you own?

Hope you had a nice time in France wile you were there.

I did have a nice time, although photography time was limited (I was there for a scientific conference).

Composition is challenging with the 11-24! There were a few shots where I used the 11-24L and also the TS-E 17L for the same scene, and often ended up preferring the TS-E image. Here's an example, the first with the TS-E 17 and the second with the 11-24 (I didn't actually process the latter, to remove flare etc.).

"Hôtel de ville de Tours"

EOS 1D X, TS-E 17mm f/4L, 8s, f/8, ISO 100

That is my feeling as well: composition is a challenge. I find the more I use the lens the better I am getting at filling the frame, however. It also helps that I'm living in London right now and practically everything is old and interesting here, so the lens works beautifully for shots inside old buildings, or even wide angle street shots.

Again, both of your shots are great! I too prefer the T/S one, however.

The 11-24 is an interesting lens to use, if nothing else.

Attachments

• Sunset on a Palace.jpg
    Sunset on a Palace.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 1,150
  • Middle of the Road.jpg
    Middle of the Road.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 1,178
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
R1-7D said:

Thanks! As did I (evidently!). Nice shots, I particularly like the second one.

R1-7D said:
It also helps that I'm living in London right now and practically everything is old and interesting here, so the lens works beautifully for shots inside old buildings, or even wide angle street shots.

True...I'm in Paddington right now, lots of interesting stuff about. But I'm only here for a 2-day scientific conference and flights in/out are 3 hrs on either side of the meeting, so I traveled light with just my M2 + M11-22 and a gorillapod. I was able to get out for a short time at evening blue hour yesterday, was hoping to go out again this morning for blue/golden hour but as you can see outside that was rained out.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
R1-7D said:

Thanks! As did I (evidently!). Nice shots, I particularly like the second one.

R1-7D said:
It also helps that I'm living in London right now and practically everything is old and interesting here, so the lens works beautifully for shots inside old buildings, or even wide angle street shots.

True...I'm in Paddington right now, lots of interesting stuff about. But I'm only here for a 2-day scientific conference and flights in/out are 3 hrs on either side of the meeting, so I traveled light with just my M2 + M11-22 and a gorillapod. I was able to get out for a short time at evening blue hour yesterday, was hoping to go out again this morning for blue/golden hour but as you can see outside that was rained out.

Thanks!

It's a shame the rain didn't hold out for you this morning. So far we've been mostly getting cold weather and not too much rain. Hopefully the remainder of your time here is enjoyable. :)

I have to say that I am quite impressed with how the 11-24 handles flaring. The Buckingham shot above, as you can see, was pointed directly at the sun. Even when the light source is coming from a harsh angle the lens controls flaring well too. I used to have a Tokina 16-28mm and I always had to be very careful to mind where the sun in the sky was.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
R1-7D said:
I have to say that I am quite impressed with how the 11-24 handles flaring. The Buckingham shot above, as you can see, was pointed directly at the sun. Even when the light source is coming from a harsh angle the lens controls flaring well too. I used to have a Tokina 16-28mm and I always had to be very careful to mind where the sun in the sky was.

In the 11-24 shot of the Tours City Hall, there's a pretty harsh flare artifact you can see in the upper right corner, a couple of streaks and a bright oval just off the upper right corner of the building. There was a streetlight directly above the camera, just out of the frame. But it would be easy to clone out, and importantly the veiling glare is pretty minimal. The TS-E 17L is a little worse with flare than the 11-24 (I didn't have to clone it out of the shot, though - with the narrower AoV I am able to block the light source with my hand during the exposure without my hand being in the frame).

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
R1-7D said:

In the 11-24 shot of the Tours City Hall, there's a pretty harsh flare artifact you can see in the upper right corner, a couple of streaks and a bright oval just off the upper right corner of the building. There was a streetlight directly above the camera, just out of the frame. But it would be easy to clone out, and importantly the veiling glare is pretty minimal. The TS-E 17L is a little worse with flare than the 11-24 (I didn't have to clone it out of the shot, though - with the narrower AoV I am able to block the light source with my hand during the exposure without my hand being in the frame).

The flaring in your 11-24mm shot is still perfectly acceptable to me, and indeed, cloning it out wouldn't be too much of a problem. I've not used the 17mm T/S extensively enough (only once indoors, actually) to comment on its flaring, but your point is interesting to note. Taking account of the wider angle of view, I assume it's the new coatings on the front element of the 11-24 that are helping it along.

Unfortunately, bulbous front elements always have some trade offs . Another issue is the lack of simple screw-on filters. Despite that, though, the 11-24mm is a brilliant lens. I'm really enjoying my copy, and I might even go so far to say it's my current favourite lens. ;D

Hope to see more of your shots while using it!

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
zx3GA9co2SklwqSZKiesGDUGw-yW4mnfcl5MeE9NcaeYh2a-d_Nnrs1OqqJZcFkNXTjnTsWCDyPUQZyVaUt9ufLrmHMeaNLk2n4bdVjLHaH2UkdrYKJhjOrenKoyCQ7nKILsw5euQOV0TPX3BoBgbc0ZSZfY_ytVTXWgpbBY6NsVdubH6TaULyihqZ7NKju18CKgrE9BtKTpxDc3zFHcKjMaUm4PlAzu0bL7cdel3B_zqZgPlWqCakCH-kR7Ys92LMipRpg06Gc8dTUiEOBfL6ltwzP4u53gSaIood30f_07K1iT7rsVspQDynolfvXpDYnRqIHxv-5roFZZqf0roQ1ogqn4n6tBRqEd7NgN_tmmyGwBTRUOUq1kHMKzy99DLUVULbgSAy-EKno3ymrSrsXqeZy5ekld-pK07rfofuQBHohR0ZZ6Gs58u7GW0OE9FYbeDo_FCK4FynEpuBO1oXtaDV56WWGxYvhRHoPGj-UpdnHFLKDNl8i0AHZv3TXTwMIv5CpIIFN47N7McYYqBoqFK4MqXxCSeYBQVJwNdppUQR5bE6s4vLO2qOzwFjEBJtAw-OesgChJhRmBAlPaDSNHX43wiz_W3MDyixXtOEMQfyPVq8Rv=w600-h400-no

Upvote 0