Canon EF 135mm f/2L IS Coming in 2017 [CR2]

Mar 20, 2015
Adaptions of the Reciprocal 'Rule' for modern sensors are all very nice, but in many cases have to be ignored. For example, panning with a propellor-powered aircraft needs a shutter down around 1/60 or 1/80 for a nice prop disk. On a 400mm+ lens that's well in 'violation' of the rule.

In those cases even on a tripod I appreciate Mode 2 IS to iron-out vertical wobbles and let me try to concentrate on holding the focus point on one feature.

I can't imagine buying any lens without IS!

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Michael Clark said:
A lot of folks like the 100L Macro for portraits. I'm not one of them.

Now that I've gone FF the 100mm (noël) macro and the upper end of the 24mm-105mm are my two lenses in the right range for individual portraits. I recently needed to submit a current photo of myself, so I set up the tripod and used the macro and shot with a wireless remote. I failed to notice that I had left the camera in Av mode, so the shots were all at f/7.1. I could have just as well used the zoom.

The picture turned out fairly decent, given the subject matter, and a nice neutral wall was my background, so I wasn't looking for buckets of blur, and I was in sharp focus all over. The result showed more blemishes than I can normally see in the mirror. Perhaps if I get another lens for portraits, I'll try for a used 85mm from some past decade that didn't get great reviews.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
hne said:
slclick said:
AvTvM said:
i can't imagine buying a lens >50mm FL without IS. :)

i can't imagine buying a lens >135mm FL without IS. :)

I have a hard time imagining buying any lens without IS, irrespective of FL :)

Not once have I thought 'If only this 135L had IS' Not once. Maybe it's because I have shot longer without the feature than with. YMMV

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
slclick said:
hne said:
slclick said:
AvTvM said:
i can't imagine buying a lens >50mm FL without IS. :)

i can't imagine buying a lens >135mm FL without IS. :)

I have a hard time imagining buying any lens without IS, irrespective of FL :)

Not once have I thought 'If only this 135L had IS' Not once. Maybe it's because I have shot longer without the feature than with. YMMV

As long as I've had a drink I don't shake too bad. ;)

Upvote 0