Canon EF 135mm f/2L IS USM Coming First Half of 2018 [CR1]

Jul 21, 2010
MayaTlab said:
Fair point for the 50. That being said, it isn't exactly like it's got tremendous competition in its price / size range.

True... But from Canon's perspective (popular, strong-selling lens, old design with development costs long since recovered, therefore likely good profit), there's little impetus to update it. Still, I'm sure they will at some point.

MayaTlab said:
I wad kind of expecting the "real estate" moment to happen. Do you shoot real estate ? I'm not sure you'd make the comment then that 11mm is that relevant. A 12-24mm would have been just fine. In fact a lens wider than 16mm still remains quite niche for real estate. Just so you know, if you were to shoot for AirBnB in Paris, they tend to refuse shots wider than 20-24mm, even in tiny Parisian apartments :D.

The only real estate I've shot is my own house earlier this year, and most of the interior was shot at 11mm. It's estimated that photo quality for the online listing drives 60% of views, and has a significant impact on speed and price of sale. Did 11mm make a difference? Well, we had seven offers within a couple of days of listing the house, and the lowest of them was above asking price. But yeah, 12mm would have worked.

MayaTlab said:
BTW, why not make it a 12-24mm f4 and improve even more so other aspects of the design (or lower the price) ?

Fair point, but why do that? The IQ is excellent, the Sigma 12-24/4 Art is essentialy the same size (so the extra 1mm on the wide end probably didn't make it bigger). I'm sure that going to 11* was a factor in the decision, there had been a Sigma 12-24 for quite some time. They clearly felt they needed something wider than the 16-35 range, looked at Nikon's 14-24/2.8 offering, and decided wider and slower was better. I guess my point in regards to the interview quote was that 'best' was the main driver, but 'first' is still important.

*Spinal Tap reference :)
goes-to-11-10808355-grey-800.jpg

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I'd rather have an 11-X at f/4 than anything at 2.8 near that focal distance since the majority of this len's uses fall within using it stopped down as a general rule of thumb. Do what you want with any glass but for RE/Architecture, Geometric abstraction, you stop down. So as Neuro already stated, the focus needs to be on distortion & vignetting as opposed to light stops. Not a niche lens if you ask me but a strong performer in the lineup.

Niche lenses? TS-E 135 and the MP-E 65, both I'd love to have but are more of a want than a need for many. The 50 issue is a head scratcher for sure but there aren't many other focal lengths where this situation exists for Canon. No one gets close to their lens arsenal, maybe some companies have 1 or 2 particular items but overall it's not even close. It's why many of us stay.

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
But why wait for this rumored lens when you could have this monster right now?

https://photorumors.com/2017/11/14/mitakon-speedmaster-135mm-f1-4-lens-now-available-in-7-different-months/

;D

AF is neither standard nor optional, but back pain is included with purchase.

- A

Comes in Fuji mount for the GFX?! That would be a very interesting lens combination.

Upvote 0