Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM

Feb 1, 2013
Sagittariansrock, the color does not jump off the screen at me...I don't know why you're not mentioning the bokeh! The 135 has the smoothest background bokeh of any Canon lens I'm aware of. Also has terrific contrast and sharpness. The color the lens is capable of, is not mind blowing, but it's nice. The whole point of this lens, is the bokeh...for those that say you can't tell the difference going from f/2 to f/2.8, it's usually because they're comparing the long end of the zoom, 200mm f/2.8, to 135mm f/2. But at 200mm, you aren't taking in as wide of an angle of view...so the subjects are necessarily smaller or farther away...to see a similar degree of bokeh. And that's just not the same experience, or effect. Sure the 85L can also do a fantastic bokeh, but not as many mention using it instead, as much as they mention using the 70-200 instead. It's really just personal preference, but this does not mean the 135L, is not "special".

Upvote 0
CarlTN said:
Sagittariansrock, the color does not jump off the screen at me...I don't know why you're not mentioning the bokeh! The 135 has the smoothest background bokeh of any Canon lens I'm aware of. Also has terrific contrast and sharpness. The color the lens is capable of, is not mind blowing, but it's nice. The whole point of this lens, is the bokeh...for those that say you can't tell the difference going from f/2 to f/2.8, it's usually because they're comparing the long end of the zoom, 200mm f/2.8, to 135mm f/2. But at 200mm, you aren't taking in as wide of an angle of view...so the subjects are necessarily smaller or farther away...to see a similar degree of bokeh. And that's just not the same experience, or effect. Sure the 85L can also do a fantastic bokeh, but not as many mention using it instead, as much as they mention using the 70-200 instead. It's really just personal preference, but this does not mean the 135L, is not "special".

Carl, the bokeh is awesome, of course. But that was something I expected.
The color, on the other hand, wasn't expected.
You have not seen most of the pictures that I shot indoors (of my nephew and niece, unfortunately there parents aren't to keen on posting pictures online), and the shots above were from a very grey Oregon afternoon. Usually it needs a boost in LR, but not these.

Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013
sagittariansrock said:
CarlTN said:

Carl, the bokeh is awesome, of course. But that was something I expected.
The color, on the other hand, wasn't expected.
You have not seen most of the pictures that I shot indoors (of my nephew and niece, unfortunately there parents aren't to keen on posting pictures online), and the shots above were from a very grey Oregon afternoon. Usually it needs a boost in LR, but not these.

Not doubting the results you're getting. I've had mine for 5 years now, and love it. Shot over 10,000 images with it, so I'm aware of what it can do. But it does not do color as well as a few other lenses (all of which cost anywhere from double its price, to many times its price)...where it does bokeh better than most lenses...that's all I was saying. You get a lot of bang for the buck with it.

Upvote 0
Today's little car show.

14002766096_02647b9d73_b_d.jpg

f/2.0

14002753006_d5c62429dc_b_d.jpg

f/2.8

14025874475_b4d5465aab_b_d.jpg

f/2.0

14025742455_73bb693207_b_d.jpg

f/4.0

Upvote 0