Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye

E

esbenlp

Hello all. New to the forum but wanted to contribute right away by adding to the lens gallery. So, I have made this collection of real world samples from my use of Canon's 15mm fisheye on a 1D MKII. I hope it will help give an idea of the performance of this lens.

Wake_up_by_esbenlp.jpg

Shutter Speed: 1/4096 second
Aperture: F/2.8
Focal Length: 15 mm
ISO Speed: 400

Danish_Desert_by_esbenlp.jpg

Shutter Speed: 1/395 second
Aperture: F/8.0
ISO Speed: 50

My_German_3_by_esbenlp.jpg

Shutter Speed: 1/125 second
ISO Speed: 200

DLG_1_by_esbenlp.jpg

Shutter Speed: 1/13 second
ISO Speed: 800

DLG_2_by_esbenlp.jpg

Shutter Speed: 1/40 second

Hello_there_by_esbenlp.jpg

Shutter Speed: 1/100 second

Exit_Sewers_of_Herodeon_by_esbenlp.jpg

Shutter Speed: 1/21 second

Church_of_Agony_by_esbenlp.jpg

Shutter Speed: 1/8 second
ISO Speed: 800

Light_Beam_by_esbenlp.jpg

Shutter Speed: 1/100 second
Aperture: F/5.0

Haifa_Gardens_by_esbenlp.jpg

Shutter Speed: 1/200 second
Aperture: F/7.1

Wedding_Photographer_by_esbenlp.jpg

Aperture: F/11.0

beijing_airport_roof_by_esbenlp-d2yrc72.jpg

Shutter Speed: 1/160 second

lotus_leaf_lake_by_esbenlp-d2yrcwl.jpg

Shutter Speed: 1/320 second
Aperture: F/9.0

weird_escalator_by_esbenlp-d2yrcyj.jpg

Shutter Speed: 15/1 second
Aperture: F/22.0

a_hat_shop_and_more_by_esbenlp-d2yrczw.jpg

Shutter Speed: 1/30 second

tokyo_street_sunset_by_esbenlp-d2yrd25.jpg

Shutter Speed: 1/60 second
Aperture: F/4.0

rock_life_by_esbenlp-d2yrdkd.jpg

Aperture: F/4.0

fishy_sunset_with_man_by_esbenlp-d33mb1w.jpg

Shutter Speed: 1/30 second
Aperture: F/11.0

I hope this could be a help to someone looking for samples of this fun-to-use lens.

E

esbenlp

Thanks a lot for the comments. The first photo is in Frederikshavn at the railway station and the second is from RÃ¥bjerg Mile drifting dune. The photo with the gate is the sewers of Herodeon in Israel, the church is the Church of Agony in Jerusalem, the one with the light beam is from the Church of the Holy Sepulcher also in Jerusalem, the tilted photo is from Haifa Gardens as well as the one with the wedding photographer. The photo of the ceiling is from Beijing airport and the rest are from Tokyo.

I like this lens for the ability to get very close to things and still get all of it into the photo. On a 1.3x crop sensor, the 16mm end of the 16-35mm lens can still be a bit too long for some shots.

Upvote 0
Heres one of my fav groom shots taken with the 15mm fisheye at F5.6 They were about a foot away lol.
IMG_1842.jpg

Heres the groom playin golf.
F5.6 shoulda been F11 so he was more in focus...I was literally about 5 in from the ball
IMG_1862.jpg

And one of the groomsmen snapped, it was pretty entertaining as you can see LOL
F5.6
BMPL6981.jpg

Ok I put the Bosman Photography logo on it but it is actually a shot i took when shooting a marathon for my Sports Photography Business Fast Photo Pro. It will be hard to top since this is my hand high fiveing him while shooting with my free hand. I am so happy i nailed it because it may never happen again.
F8
KZOOM11_KB_Finish_1047B.jpg

Upvote 0
D

davehollandpics

Nice pics. I love this lens for sports, but because you get so close to the action it has taken a beating. I am disappointed that it has been discontinued. I ended up buying a second one just today. I'll probably keep looking for a third.

It is great on full frame but it is also a nice wide lens on the 7D like in the photo below. I use that all of the time as a second camera with my 1Div with the 70-200 for special events.

Attachments

• AaAOAtZCIAA3Niq.jpg
    AaAOAtZCIAA3Niq.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 2,642
Upvote 0
Bosman said:
Heres one of my fav groom shots taken with the 15mm fisheye at F5.6 They were about a foot away lol.
IMG_1842.jpg

Heres the groom playin golf.
F5.6 shoulda been F11 so he was more in focus...I was literally about 5 in from the ball
IMG_1862.jpg

And one of the groomsmen snapped, it was pretty entertaining as you can see LOL
F5.6
BMPL6981.jpg

Ok I put the Bosman Photography logo on it but it is actually a shot i took when shooting a marathon for my Sports Photography Business Fast Photo Pro. It will be hard to top since this is my hand high fiveing him while shooting with my free hand. I am so happy i nailed it because it may never happen again.
F8
KZOOM11_KB_Finish_1047B.jpg

Dude, I love the color and saturation in the first and third photos! If you don't mind my asking, how do you get it to look so darn good?

Upvote 0
Thanks! I use Lightroom, now Lightroom 4. I have the Nik suite of programs but the the HDR one, its pretty much overrated. I never use them even though they are integrated with Aperture or LR. The only one i care about is the Silver Efex Pro for B&W's. I just wasted $80 on the new Silver Efex Pro 2 though. Diff Gui same limitations other than history states can be removed. I created a tone of BW effects and they aren't compatible with the new version. I emailed them telling them it was a waste of my money LOL.

Its funny, I struggled to get the color right on the 3rd image and gave up. Glad you like it though.

Upvote 0
Bosman said:
Thanks! I use Lightroom, now Lightroom 4. I have the Nik suite of programs but the the HDR one, its pretty much overrated. I never use them even though they are integrated with Aperture or LR. The only one i care about is the Silver Efex Pro for B&W's. I just wasted $80 on the new Silver Efex Pro 2 though. Diff Gui same limitations other than history states can be removed. I created a tone of BW effects and they aren't compatible with the new version. I emailed them telling them it was a waste of my money LOL.

Its funny, I struggled to get the color right on the 3rd image and gave up. Glad you like it though.

I think it looks great, and a great use of the fisheye. Its challenging to really use the fisheye effectively.

Upvote 0
GND said:
A challenge with the 5D Mk.II is that there's no peripheral illumination correction provided for this lens so you have to post-process. Here's a real life sample on bright summer light, f/16, 1/160, ISO100, corners are several stops darker. I don't know if Mk.III now corrects this, users here please advise.
First suggestion is if you want a more natural look pout the horizon and subject centered in the frame (anything that lines up with the center point) you can get pretty normal looking wides that way. Your horizon looks pretty close to correct, the street just really plays it up.
There is auto correct illumination or whatever in camera or in DPP software and i have seen that pretty much get eliminated in camera nicely. I for one like the vignette look. I didnt correct any of mine in the images i submitted above. In fact the last image of the marathoner is straight out of the camera.
Yes this is a challenging les but according to my meta data i have used it somewhere around 15,000 times :)
It is THE lens for wedding party dancing, pretty fun shots even if people aren't getting into it. When the party is lame use a fisheye lol.

Upvote 0
samueljay said:
Bosman said:
IMG_1842.jpg
Best photo in the thread! Love it!
Thanks much, it got an award for best groom and groomsmen shot in like july 2010 or something. Its a fun shot!

Upvote 0
Here is a couple fisheye shots. Bride and Groom, Groom showin his inner peacock on the dance floor. :D
Bottom one the bride and groom dancing with each other. While this one is not technically perfect sometimes images capturing the mood is enough!

Attachments

• BosWheelerJuly_42.jpg
    BosWheelerJuly_42.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 2,659
  • BosTEICHJune_11.jpg
    BosTEICHJune_11.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 1,740
Upvote 0
pdirestajr said:
Bosman said:
Here is a tip for my fisheye friends.
what i did was find a good rubber band and then taped the cap and rubber band together. so when i want the cap on i stretch the rubber band and lock it on so it doesn't fall off.
125D3431.jpg

And now is has one heck of a RED RING!
Ha! I want everyone to think all i have is "L" lenses! Actually the fisheye is the only one that isnt and i can say the images it produces are totally L quality but yea, the focus is a noisy bugger. I usually pull this lens out when it is noisy anyway lol.

Upvote 0