Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM

It looks like we need to start a thread for this new lens. Here are a couple from my first outing - this is the Florida Capitol (Historic & New) in Tallahassee:

Not much distortion at 24mm, as others have reported:
Wide_Angle_Lens_Shootout_Florida_Capitoll_Test_Lens-_FocalLength-_Aperture-8440_ID-L.jpg

More distortion (not corrected) at 16mm, still a little vignetting at f/16:
Wide_Angle_Lens_Shootout_Florida_Capitoll_Test_Lens-_FocalLength-_Aperture-8461_ID-L.jpg

Excellent flare resistance - compare to TS-E 17 f/4L below:
Wide_Angle_Lens_Shootout_Florida_Capitoll_Test_Lens-_FocalLength-_Aperture-8520_ID-L.jpg

COMPARISON IMAGE from TS-E 17 f/4L:
Wide_Angle_Lens_Shootout_Florida_Capitoll_Test_Lens-_FocalLength-_Aperture-8505_ID-L.jpg

mackguyver said:
Otter said:
Nice shots!
Thanks, Otter! I'm hoping some other members post their shots, too...and I hope to get out and shoot with mine again soon. I got rained out last weekend.

I recently sold my 16-35mm F/2.8 L I and I'm picking up a 16-35mm f/4L in a week or so when I get the time. I will be sure to post some shots when I get out there shooting!

Upvote 0
dpc said:
Two Jack Lake

This photo has too much unsharp mask (in my opinion). Notice how the sky gets lighter and the mountains get darker right at the edge? It doesn't actually look like that in real life. If you zoom in past 100% you can see the telltale signs of unsharp mask on the edge (see attached) creating extra contrast at the edge.

It would probably be better to sharpen the original size image, then downsample, then sharpen just a tiny bit more if necessary (depends on the downsampling algorithm). But I don't have the full size image, so I can't try it.

candyman's last image looks kind of similar, but I'm not sure it's too much sharpening. The "&" symbol has a weird glow to it. Maybe it's how the exposure was adjusted to make the scene look natural with the wide dynamic range, or maybe it's HDR?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-07-30 at 6.34.40 PM.png
    Screen shot 2014-07-30 at 6.34.40 PM.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 1,330
Upvote 0
m8547 said:
dpc said:
Two Jack Lake

This photo has too much unsharp mask (in my opinion). Notice how the sky gets lighter and the mountains get darker right at the edge? It doesn't actually look like that in real life. If you zoom in past 100% you can see the telltale signs of unsharp mask on the edge (see attached) creating extra contrast at the edge.

It would probably be better to sharpen the original size image, then downsample, then sharpen just a tiny bit more if necessary (depends on the downsampling algorithm). But I don't have the full size image, so I can't try it.

candyman's last image looks kind of similar, but I'm not sure it's too much sharpening. The "&" symbol has a weird glow to it. Maybe it's how the exposure was adjusted to make the scene look natural with the wide dynamic range, or maybe it's HDR?

Quite right! It was obviously an unfocused attempt to improve an original that probably should have either been left alone or discarded. I'm thinking discarded.

Upvote 0

fish_shooter

Underwater Photographer
Oct 9, 2013
Alaska
www.salmonography.com
And now for an underwater shot done @ 16mm. In the center is a female Pink salmon in the process of excavating her redd (salmon nest). She is assessing her progress in the pic. This is done by probing with her anal fin. Flanking and trailing her in the current are prospective mates. To the right is another female who is guarding her territory in the stream that was within 2 meters. This other female attacked the one in the center a few times while I was shooting.
Tom

Attachments

• _DS37255.jpg
    _DS37255.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 1,232
Upvote 0

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
m8547 said:

Very good spotted: HDR
I may have done a bit too much adjustment but wanted to show a bit of the interior. This shop has an enormous amount of things, little things....

Upvote 0