Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM

Dec 13, 2010
"I'll ssslap you sssso sssilly" (If you've seen that South Park episode)

svane1.jpg

Upvote 0
I'm working on a three way shootout between this lens, the 16-35 f/2.8L II, and the Tamron 15-30 VC. My question for you owners: have you been able to do astraphotography successfully with the 16-35mm f/4L IS? I'm a fairly experienced astraphotography shooter (https://www.flickr.com/photos/thousandwordimages/sets/72157636652265193/ ), but I've been disappointed with every attempt with the 16-35 f/4. On paper it should do well (other than f/4 being less than optimal for light gathering), but....

If you have, what's your trick?

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
Dustin, I haven't tried it with this lens, but in terms of focusing, I've always used LiveView at full magnification and manually focused on a bright star in the frame. That's how I've gotten around the Canon infinity focus issue.

I mapped out the position of infinity focus on both 16-35 lenses today. It actually falls right short of of the bar that then becomes a straight line moving towards the infinity symbol - well short of the hard stop.

Upvote 0
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
mackguyver said:
Dustin, I haven't tried it with this lens, but in terms of focusing, I've always used LiveView at full magnification and manually focused on a bright star in the frame. That's how I've gotten around the Canon infinity focus issue.

I mapped out the position of infinity focus on both 16-35 lenses today. It actually falls right short of of the bar that then becomes a straight line moving towards the infinity symbol - well short of the hard stop.
That sounds right to me - even in relatively warm (75F) temperatures it seems to fall right around that mark on most of my Canon lenses. The hard stop is always well past infinity and it makes you wonder how extreme the temperatures need to be to get it to that point!

Upvote 0
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
I'm working on a three way shootout between this lens, the 16-35 f/2.8L II, and the Tamron 15-30 VC. My question for you owners: have you been able to do astraphotography successfully with the 16-35mm f/4L IS? I'm a fairly experienced astraphotography shooter (https://www.flickr.com/photos/thousandwordimages/sets/72157636652265193/ ), but I've been disappointed with every attempt with the 16-35 f/4. On paper it should do well (other than f/4 being less than optimal for light gathering), but....

If you have, what's your trick?
Few days back I tried this lens on 7D2 and I made several test shots (30 sec, to get star trails) to find out where the infinity point was @temperature. Just twisted focus ring to end and started slowly to come back from there. Final result was pretty close to infinity mark starting marker (that vertical line).

Upvote 0

Krob78

When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
Aug 8, 2012
The Florida Peninsula
Here's two recent and quick images, forgot my filters that day... Also working well for interior Real Estate which is what I primarily bought it for but I'm finding it hard not to keep in my bag! It's a lot of fun!

Attachments

• Blue Sunset-7781.jpg
    Blue Sunset-7781.jpg
    532.9 KB · Views: 358
  • Gator Sunset 2-7749.jpg
    Gator Sunset 2-7749.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 310
Upvote 0