Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM

Re: Canon EF17-40mm f/4L USM

dr croubie said:
Drizzt321 said:
@nickashley: On the Wall Street image, how did you get that selective focus without a Tilt-Shift lens?

I've heard the 17-40 is soft wide open at 17mm, is it really that soft?

It can be soft, but it's mostly at the far corners and nothing like that. To me, it looks a lot more like a T-S lens effect. Either that or some Photoshopping going on.

I'm a bit more sensitive to that effect now since I'm playing around with a CPS evaluation T-S lens. I sooooo want it. Can't afford it unfortunately :( I need to just win the lotto.

Upvote 0

dr croubie said:
Yeah, i'd really be hoping that it's some PP going on, no Canon lens should be *that* soft, it looks like a Lensbaby at f/8 or so...

Well...except for the Tilt-Shift lenses which let you do selective focus like that. That's only when you use it to do that, of course, but it's one of the nifty features of those lenses.

Upvote 0

Drizzt321 said:
@nickashley: On the Wall Street image, how did you get that selective focus without a Tilt-Shift lens?

That just bit edge blur in PS as so busy all people would been distracting in the image, lens is great as so light and in New York the wide is just amazing what you can get in. I'd love tilt shift lens for things like this to get a nice slice of selective focus.

It is sharp lens in all stuff i've done with it mostly wide stuff.

Upvote 0

nickashley said:
Drizzt321 said:

That just bit edge blur in PS as so busy all people would been distracting in the image, lens is great as so light and in New York the wide is just amazing what you can get in. I'd love tilt shift lens for things like this to get a nice slice of selective focus.

It is sharp lens in all stuff i've done with it mostly wide stuff.

Ah, makes sense. I thought it might be some PS work. Sounds like not a whole lot :)

Upvote 0

CJRodgers said:
taperoo2k said:
I'm quite pleased with this one, so pleased it's one of my entries in the Oxford Flickr Group's exhibition at the Botanic Garden in Oxford.

Flowers in the Botanic Garden by taperoo2k, on Flickr

Really awesome, how did you process this?

It was a 5 minute Lightroom processing job, I pretty much nailed it in camera, after fiddling with the CPL to get the dreamy look I was after. If I remember correctly cropping the image took the most amount of time in Lightroom. I tend to process things instinctively.

Since using a CPL, the softness of the lens seems to have reduced somewhat. Either that or I'm getting the hang of using the lens. It's got a sweet spot like most lenses.

Upvote 0

Had a go at some long exposure Photography last night at an annual fair (St Giles Fair, it's been around since the 1600's). I don't think I've done too badly, given this is my first time at trying this technique. Learning by the seat of my pants again. I used a range of f numbers and shutter speeds (anywhere from 2.5 seconds to 30 seconds).

St Giles - Night Photography by taperoo2k, on Flickr

St Giles Fair - Night Photography by taperoo2k, on Flickr

Upvote 0

Love my 17-40mm, here are some of my pics, I jump straight to it when I am going to do landscapes or cars.

US1SB.jpg

EiGWi.jpg

VXMmY.jpg

tre8O.jpg

OMPjq.jpg

pZWgh.jpg

Ss56C.jpg

98mjk.jpg

o4p69.jpg

Upvote 0